1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Shazier sends message to Patriots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerEmpire, Jun 17, 2017.

1. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ryan Shazier needs to play a full season before letting out boisterous statements.

It is nice to inspire oneself and their teamates but only if that persons words are as set in stone as the person themselves.

Ryan's availability is not something set in stone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no problem with what he said. When I first saw the thread I groaned but reading his quotes, wasn't disrespectful.

They should be hungry and play with confidence that they can beat them and not the little brother moniker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Exactly

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I like it. Bring me the head of Tom Brady.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing like claiming that against a QB that will be 40 years. Big words, big words indeed.

Now I'm hoping Brady and the pats are good and even better than last year. Otherwise who cares, yippie you beat a QB who's 40 and declining fast. This will probably just be a monkey that they were never able to get over.

I'm still salty from last year. Still bugs me.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just imagine how the Falcons feel

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did not find it disrespectful either.

My comments are directed at the fact that there is more to the upcoming season than just the Patriots. Plenty of other teams can derail our hopes; Houston, Baltimore and Cincinnati (more specifically Vontez Burfict) to name a few.

Reading his comments, it seems that this whole "beat the Patriots" narrative has spilled over from a team that was next on the schedule to an obession.

From nabbing LaDarius Green, to Mike Tomlin taking jabs at New England in the offseason, drafting then fielding Sean Davis and Artie Burns as not only upgrades to beat their own division but counter-measures to Julian Edleman and Rob Gronkowski to playing more man coverage this season and the inevitable subsequent "passing of the torch" from James Harrison to TJ Watt to just rush four, it seems that Pittsburgh desire to beat New England is a lot more than just strategic and tactical planning to me.

In the end, as I see it, while he is stating that the NFL does have a New England problem, Ryan Shazier needs to worry about New England when the time comes. Other teams in our division have gotten better and winning the division can still happen but it is going to be just as violent and instense than last year.

Constant obession about ones true goal can make one short sighted. To me, that is what Ryan Shazier seems to be doing.

Now, will this become "bulliten board" material for the Patriots? Doubtful. Should Pittsburgh lose, will some look back on Ryan's statements? Most definitley.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I would agree to a certain point you never want to be so focused on an opponent that you overlook another but let's face it sure the Ravens or Bengals can beat them, they could lose to an up and coming Texans team or any one else but they also can win against those teams and play them effectively as well. However the Pats are that team that just seems to have their number and it is the monkey on their backs. So yes extra effort in my mind must be given to preparing to beat them. Beating the Pats requires a near perfect game for 60+ minutes otherwise they can stun you and win. They need to prepare for them as much as possible.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is every team though. Ryan Shazier said it himself no less. The Patriots truly are an issue that seemingly has no end. Bill Belichick will never cease to amaze me so long as he lives on God's green earth. His defense was already great in holding teams in terms of Points Per Game. Adding Dererk Rivers and Stephon Gillmore will amplify this issue.

However, taking each day at a time and focusing on the present will prepare you for the future. Looking that far down the road is something one only does when their path becomes clear. Nevermind the season has not began but we are not even at training camp and the task to "Slay The Dragon" now is up to Pittsburgh? That does seem short sighted to me.

Towards the second bolded, as I said, I am all for preparing for a team but can we wait until the time comes? Preparing for the Patriots now will not mean much of anything if we do not have a good record heading into week 14 of the upcoming season where we do battle against them. As fans we can have the luxury of looking far into the future. For a player, they should be focused on the present and only the present.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yet the Patriots themselves are the same way, they have teams that can go toe to toe with them and make it hard for them to play against. You look at the divisional game versus the Texans and if the Texans had a slightly better QB we aren't sitting here talking about the Patriots and Brady today. That game a very little to do with the Pats defensive game and more to do with the Texans inability to move the ball consistently due to poor QB play.

As to the point of preparing even now for a potential match up with the Pats even if it is a meaningless regular season game or a play-off game. The typical week's prep time that they give to any upcoming opponent doesn't appear to be enough since they are losing fairly regularly. So if you are going to flip the script on the Pats or try to think outside the box you need to decide it now and begin working on concepts(like more man coverage or tighter zone) during OTA's and minicamp, install those plans, work on that technique apply it in training camp and preseason, hone it during games leading up to a match-up with the Pats and then execute to perfect those plans. Otherwise it is business as usual with the same tired football cliches about the team that executes the best and so on but with just a weeks worth of prep time. I'd rather them start now and work towards the goal of dismantling the Pats each and every time they play.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would rather the team focus simply making it through training camp and the preseason unscathed while incorporating new schemes.

We have only faced the Patriots three times in the AFC Championship Game since the turn of the century. Focusing on simply making it to the AFC Championship Game should be top priority. Whomever the opponent is by then is something to be concerned about then.

13. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Ill be happy enough with a severe ACL and MCL career ending injury, LOL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Talk is Cheap, show me.

15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    After Harrison, or Bud, or Harrison and Bud hit him so hard he defecates himself on national tv.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'll bring both of these together and say they tear his head off and defecate down his neck hole. :hehehe::cool:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Bellichek and the Pats are in their heads and have been for a long time. That is why the Steelers always outthink themselves when they play them. Shazie's and Tomlin's comment are just more evidence.

As Micheal Coreleone said: "Don't hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgement."

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

If anything, while I did say this will not be bulliten board material, this is going to motivate Tom Brady even more given his reactions to such statements.

2007: Anthony Smith.

2016: Mike Tomlins comments.

2017 (upcoming): Ryan's and Keith's comments.

Tom Brady is ridiculously competitve. Just about anything sets him off. Having a great coach like Bil Belichick only magnifies this issue.

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Geez what took so long?
    Just don't lose to a 1-10 team the following week.

Oh yeah , and that article will excite the Ravens because they feel they are the Steelers obstacle.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't buy into this line of thinking because it paints a picture that they would have won those games if Smith and Tomlin had never said anything. I think it was Mark Schlereth that said bulletin board material last all of one play and then its business as usual, focusing on assignments.

It's no secret that NE is the team the Steelers have to beat to get over the hump, I doubt they are overlooking anyone else to get there.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Those were examples being used in conjunction with Afan's quote regarding enemies clouding judgement. To use such examples for the sole purpose of further indicating how fierce a player is would be quite a waste of time. What Ryan stated in the interview seems to me that New England is currently tops on the hit list and will be the primary focus heading into the season.

Towards the second bolded, while I do not entirely mind Shazier's comments, I am more worried about this whole "Slay The Dragon" moniker Ryan is indirectly implying. Pittsburgh definitley is the favorite to challenge New Englands position atop the pecking order as it stands but I also believe that teams like the Raiders, Texans (assuming DeShaun Watson plays sooner than later), or even the Chiefs have something to say about it.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers aren't the first team to have a monkey they need to get off their back. Boston Redsox had to best the Yankees and finally succeeded. I don't think any franchise was ever in another teams head the way the Yankees were in the Redsox.

Steelers are arguably the 2nd best team in the league (cue Heinzmustard), I don't think there is anything wrong recognizing theres a team in front of you that you have to beat.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Never stated they did not have a "Patriots Problem".

Ryan's overall message is what concerns me. I understand it if the Patriots are circled on the calendar for later but to go so far as to talk about something as if it was happening in a few days whereas we are months away does seem short sighted.

Maybe I am misinterpreting his message wrong Blast. :lolol: I am, by no in any sort of way stating Pittsburgh is more equipped to handle New England this time around. Personally, I think this our best but final chance.

I do, however, hope that when that fateful December day comes, the entire team will be healthy ready. :smiley1:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

His overall message is he thinks they can beat them this year :shrug:

We're not...
    [​IMG]

on this one.

Agree to disagree :drinks:

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed. :drinks: