1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a Steelers Hall of Fame or Ring of Honor?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, May 19, 2017.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I have not heard of either, but there are a number of players that were very good, but not great enough for Canton. (What is odd about the team of the 70's is that there are more Hall of Famers from the offensive side of the ball than the defensive side, but the defense carried that team, until 78-79).

Back to the topic, my Steelers fandom began in 1970-71, so you older old-timers would know the players from the 1930s-1960s. From the 1970s defense, I would add L.C. Greenwood, Mike Wagner, Andy Russell, and Donnie Shell to a Steelers Hall of Fame, and possibly even Dwight White. To think Ernie Holmes, Glen Edwards, and J.T. Thomas, do not make it, yet those are still three very good players.

From the 1970s offense I would add Larry Brown for sure and probably Rocky Bleier, but the O-line did not get the credit it deserves.

I know there are a bunch of players we could name, not as many from the 1980s, but several from the 1990s to the present. Let's keep the discussion to players that are not already in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I do not have any criteria for this, but Neil O'Donnell cannot be allowed in. Sorry Thigpen82, but I do not think Yancey gets in either.

2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Okay I Have found the thread from November 2014 discussing this topic, so my post is moot.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There is a Hall Of Fame at Heinz. It is basically an exhibit.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Until you get "merged" from beyond, every thread is viable. So when is not a good time to honor Steeler greats? The Steelers did honor 75 players? I believe during their 75th anniversary year and Rod Woodson who was still playing for the Steelers at the time was selected for that group. We could also re-hash who the next potential Steeler(s) would be for the NFL HOF. #43 has to be coming up fairly soon. Will Troy get in before #86?. Will #92 still be playing when #7 is eligible? :shrug:

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Can't do a ring of honor that ****e would wrap around the stadium multiple times!

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Troy will definitely get in before Hines. Troy is first ballot for me. Once in a lifetime player in his prime that done things that you would believe is literally impossible if you didn't actually witness it yourself. I love Hines and want him to get in too but Troy definitely should be a first ballot HOFer.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i have ring of honor in my mind for all the players i've watched over the years that wore the black and gold. :smiley1::cool:

8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ernie Stautner's number 70 and recently, Joe Green's 75 are the only retired numbers.

Not a ring of honor or HOF, but...

9. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, there is a "Great Hall" at Heinz field... sponsored by Coke, I think...

You can see re-creations of the lockers of players like Blier, Bradshaw, Lambert, Greene, Shell, Franco, etc...

Anyhow, if we retired the jersey numbers of our best players throughout the years, there wouldn`t be enough numbers left, to field a team...

So it`s just something we don`t do as often as other teams...

We keep expecting to get great players to add to our tradition...

And we usually do...

I can`t wait to see the statue of Dan Rooney, beside his father Art Rooney Sr., "The Chief", outside the stadium...

It has to happen.

I don`t know if they can put him on the bench his father sits on, or beside him or whatever..
    It needs to happen.
    I would like to see him stand beside his Dad, with his hand on his shoulder, so visitors can still take a picture next to
    both of them, while sitting on the bench, next to "The Chief", like hundreds of thousands have done before...

Or put him on the bench with his Dad, and the visitors can take a picture standing behind them...

Either is cool, but should happen.

There is a reason Art was a founding member in this league, and his son, Dan became an ambassador to their homeland in his later years...

That is pretty cool stuff, and should be memorialized at their Stadium, besides what we have in the Hall of Fame in Canton Oh.

GO STEELERS!!!:cool::drinks::herewego!::steelflag: