1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sutton

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, May 9, 2017.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The more I read about him and watch the tape, the more I like this pick.

This team needs to replace Gay (I love the guy, but he's getting to the old corner stage of his career)

He's an extremely football smart guy. Every pick this year echoed the smart football player approach.

I think they're trying to build a stable of guys like NE that can play any scheme they have to use to win.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    just wondering where sensabaugh fits in all this too. :cool:

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If he returns to form we could have a pretty deep secondary.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Indeed. I found this while reading up on the picks:

• Like Like x 2
  5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I honestly am more concerned about our Safety depth right now than our CB depth. If Golson and Allen both show they can play, we are going to be cutting some talent that other teams will sign.

Burns
    Cockrell
    Gay
    Sensabaugh
    Sutton

Golson
    Allen

When I look at that in all honesty, I wonder if Gay or Allen may be in for a move to Safety in order to stay on the roster. For instance, Golson was a 2nd round pick. If he wins the slot....what do we do with Gay?

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Depth doesn't always indicate talent. Sometimes, it's just numbers.

Right now, I'm thinking numbers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You forgot the second part of that story. Heard it on a radio show or podcast.

They said O.K. you knew we were going to do this and have all these memorized for this tape. We'll pick a game tape and then we'll go through it.

They did and he proceeded to do it for the game tape they picked as well....

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, thats all there was, was from a Bob Labriola article, just little snippets on their draft picks. I figured they were picking the film.

Its impressive, the NFL game shouldn't be too big for him.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Heard it on Dave Thomas's show.

He said they tried to throw that curve and he blew them away when he did the same thing

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I heard the same thing. Colbert said OK, let me pick the game, and Sutton again called out all the positions and responsibilities.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I have stated Lizard, he is arguably our safest pick.

Tough, fluid in coverage, sticky and possessing NFL quality ball skills and good hand skills are just the tip of the spear. Add in his ability to play in any backfield position along with special teams and he is more than the sum of his parts.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    To me, Sutton is a guy we wouldn't even have had a shot at had he been healthy. Maybe he gets out of round 1, but I doubt he slides past round 2.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Remember this guy from the 70s Mike Wagner, he wasnt even drafted to be a safety but was converted to safety after a stint at receiver, drafted in the 11th round in 71 he was a steal for Pitt..

Mike Wagner: These days in the National Football League, players come and players go via the free agency waters. Very few players start and finish with the same team. Many players of the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty years in the 1970s however, played their entire careers wearing only the Black and Gold. Mike Wagner is one of those. Drafted in the 11th round in 1971, Wagner would become one of the best safeties in the history of the team.

Like Paul Martha before him and Whizzer White from the early years of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike Wagner was not just a football player, but a scholar. Owning a B.A. In accounting, Wagner also has his M.B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania and currently works as a Vice President in banking in Pittsburgh. He also serves a defensive backs coach for Pine-Richland High School.

Also like Martha, Wagner switched positions on the field for the Steelers first as a wide receiver but then flipped over to the defense to man the safety position. In 1973, he finished in a tie for most interceptions in the league with eight. Wagner was also a member of all four Super Bowl winning teams of his era. In two of those championship games, Mike Wagner picked off passes (Super Bowl IX and Super Bowl X).

As indicated, his entire career was with the Pittsburgh Steelers from the time he was drafted in 1971 until his retirement in 1980. The final tally on his interceptions during the regular season was 36. If not for the names Shell and Polamalu, Mike Wagner would probably be considered the best safety in the history of the team. Wagner is a member of the University of Western Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame.

http://cityofchampionssports.com/2015/07/19/pittsburgh-steelers-safety-numbers/

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he was always one of my favorites. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Don't look for Golson to make the team(53).... He, if he stays healthy may make the PS.... By the time the season starts it'll be 2 1/2 yrs since he had taken a defensive snap..... Never in the pros.....

Cody I predict will start the season as the slot corner but Sutton should move up the depth chart by seasons end and be the starting slot corner.

Cajun

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will go a step further. Starting slot to start season. Starting opposite burns halfway thru. The kid can play

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'll say one thing about this years draft, we may not have picked the fastest biggest players but we have added brains to these rooms. seems like some intelligence has been added.

i think coty sensabaugh will help a lot too. nice depth player to have. better addition then we have made the last two years not counting cockrell. i think he'll be more solid than gilbert or boykin was for us. :thumbs_up::smiley1::cool:

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He's just one of the eleven corner backs we have on the roster going to training camp, with that much competition he can prove his worth or fall by the wayside with the ones who wont be here after the last camp cut.....

20. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    heck sometimes starting doesn't indicate talent...

upload_2017-5-14_20-23-6.png

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Loving this pick more and more

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

It's what NE has been doing for years. You need to have guys on the field that can go that extra step when the QB calls an audible!

Guys that can recognize and get to their new assignments without someone else having to tell them.

23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Thats why our ol is top of the line.

24. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree with Mike Wagner, just want to add he truly was also a great man outside of football, he would make frequent trips to local hospitals and make visits to who needed it. :applaud:

25. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    And he was the first guy to Bradshaw after the Turkey Jones QB-spiking. Held his hand.