1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers place original pick tender on Cockrell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SanDiegoSteel, Mar 3, 2017.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. The weak link

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently, we have not been close to beating the Pats for a long time.
    What you mention is exactly what is needed. How 's come our
    coaching staff doesn't understand this? Never mind, there is far too many
    people on this board that think Tomlin and Haley are the best thing since sliced bread.
    The facts prove differently. We can do better and we MUST. If that last game against
    the Pats wasn't enough for these fans, I am not sure what else to say. Our coaching staff
    never gave our players a chance to win. Thanks MT.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know Ward, right! Why can't these coaches go and put HOF player at every position, it can't be hard to find.

This freaking coaching staff, I tell you, every other team can find these players. Why are we the only ones who lose to the Pats???

Man, this coaching staff sucks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Couldn't have said it any better thanks Blast maybe you will see the light
    someday:drinks:Cheers, when Ben's Done hopefully MT will be done also, don't
    forget to take Haley with you Mike.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah! Can't wait for the day when the Steelers take your advice and have a Browns-esque coaching carousel. Firing a top 5 coach on the off chance that you find that one in 100 million super coach is brilliant! Why hasn't the team figured that one out? Instability is awesome for an NFL franchise. Really, after that AFCCG loss we should have just cleaned house - Tomlin, Haley, Butler, Colbert (don't forget him either). The nine in a row to get there meant nothing. There was no leadership from the coaching to go from 4-5 to the AFCCG. They played no role at all, right?

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's still using cowhers players. ben and warren and harrison. :smiley1::cool:

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    One of he most interesting threads I've seen in a long time. I don't necessarily agree with PWP but he does stir the pot w/ a fascinating approach and debate.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Haha Two of which Cowher didn't want.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's down to those two. :smiley1::cool:

14. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    need to sign him to more than a tender. :smiley1::cool:

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
  18. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    just stand/stop at the sticks on 3rd and 18, duh.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It seems that Ross didn't get any offers or at least none reported. Which supports the fact that he is a average CB in the NFL. I think he could be above average if moved down the depth chart .. This Team still needs a upgrade at both CB'S and a Ball Hawking type at Safety ..I like Artie and hope he continues to grow, but he should be the #2 CB not the #1, Ross should be the #3 or #4 ..

What I think some fans and even our front office keep missing is the stronger our front 7 becomes the more pressure other Teams will put on our DB'S ....Why even try to run ? Why even call long developing routes ? Why even chip DL ? Simply spread this D out with formations that show run and then throw to scat RB'S or WR type TE'S ...Show run force us into zone and we can't match up...

A huge advantage to be able to match up is to have a CB who can lock up 1 WR ,this allows the D to be creative with blitzes and role coverage from man/zone concepts ..If we try that now Artie nor Ross can handle it, Bill and Brady know this and have the weapons to exploit it ..And they do at will mostly ..NE is the leaders in this , but other Teams are catching on like the Raiders.The point is it is the way the NFL is heading and we need different types of DB'S with different types of skills ......

Even our DC realizes we must be able to play more man or mix up the coverage more, we simply don't have enough talent..Unless we avoid the Pats and the Raiders in the post season that is as far as this current Team will go..

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Fans and FO aren't missing anything but you're missing the fact that the teams that have beat the Patriots have done it up front.

I bet you if I wanted to waste time researching every Patriot loss over the last several seasons, it would be because Brady was pressured all game. If you don't get Brady on the run, get him on his ass, get your hands up in his passing lanes, he'll beat any secondary in the world.

Our secondary isn't as awful as you like to think it is, if the front can harass Brady, any secondary will look better.

In regards to Ross, the numbers don't support your claim. You can't reach for something that fans aren't privy too as proof for him being "average".

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he was better than average Teams would have made offers on that low of a Tender ...When the Giants beat the Pats they beat them with luck while they had the ball ..As far as pressure I agree , but you must stop the 2.0 throws to do so you have to be tight in coverage ...When we try and get tight we get beat and guys get open before any pressure can get home ...

Of course you can't let him have all day , but you can't let him have the free 2.0 second throw either....Until we can take that away we will never know what kind of pressure we can bring...Exactly what I am saying until we can match up we have no chance .http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...draw-and-its-paying-off-for-the-3-0-patriots/

Take a look at that chart how the heck can a front 7 get home ? If in the gun even if DL come unblocked they would barely get home ...You have to make him hold it longer only 1 way to do that .....Match up..

22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd say the only chance other than getting to Brady is to absolutely man handle their wideouts. Gronk is the only one of his targets that's really that much of a physical specimen. I remember that Chiefs MNF game a couple of years ago where the pats got freakin' stomped and Brady looked sub-human and that secondary was all over the field. I still believe a strong front is the best way to beat him though. If I were the Steelers I'd try to build Giants front line and a Chiefs secondary and the dynasty would be reborn. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We have the talent, both of our rookies had good rookie seasons, Burns led the defense with 3 picks and had a respectable 65 tackles along with 13 pass breakups or PDFs if you prefer, and rookies tend to have better 2nd seasons so I expect artie to have more tackles, more picks and PDFs this year, Davis had 70 tackles with 1 pick and he should have a lot better season this season. We had more sacks than the patriots did in 16 and tied for interceptions with 13 so with Heyward back and our two rookies in their second year being more comfortable on the field we should have an even better defense this year, I like what i'm seeing with the top talent we have on that side of the ball and I think this is going to be a top 5 defense this year, and remember QBs cant throw the ball laying on their back so I would love to see a league high 50 sacks, 20 picks with 7 sacks and 3 picks coming against brady.........

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    All anyone needs to do is watch last year's Super Bowl. Pressure for 2 1/2 quarters, 28-3 Falcons. Pats adjust and handle the pressure, 31 unanswered points.

Although I'm sure someone will try to say that Atlanta has a stellar secondary, and that's why they held the Pats in check for 2 1/2 quarters.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That n' at

• Like Like x 1