1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by blountforcetrauma, Apr 27, 2017.

1. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Mayock had TJ Watt going #22 to the Dolphins.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it actually didn't get spoiled for me. I was just talking in general but that's true about NFL Network and ESPN so yeah it would be pretty much impossible. I didn't realize those broadcasts were that far off. That's a pretty big discrepancy really. I did stop reading though right around the time of the pick and am glad I did because that meant I got to hear The Bus make it.

3. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I bet this might have been his worst mock ever. He missed like crazy.

4. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Most mocks had him in that late first/early 2nd area didn't they? That's where we picked. I don't really know what labelling him a "2nd rounder even means? He'd be good value at 33 but not at 30?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I find it strange that Colbert wasn't aware that TJ Watt had played some LB in 2015 (not as a starter). Ed Bouchette tried to correct him but he still denied it.

:confused1:

6. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Antarctica isn't as cool as he thinks he is

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Kinda what I have been thinking, the whole he is not a 1st rounder thing imo is stupid. We are picking 30th that is pretty close to the 2nd round and if Watt was our guy we wasn't going to last to the 2nd at #30. There are a lot of good players still left and I will stand by my statement that I wish we would have traded back. I know that is not the "steeler Way" however this draft is loaded and extra picks could really be key, again jmo.

8. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The extra year on the rookie contract makes trading out of the first from our position less likely I think.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, and he talked it up by saying "DNA don't lie" on his mock draft telecast. So in Miami "DNA don't lie," and in Pittsburgh it does?

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have no problem giving that up if he is good we will sign him long term anyways, plus I would rather have 2 guys at 4 years than 1 guy at 5......

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My goodness... I wonder who holds longer grudes then?

Rodger Starbauch or him?

12. Rick Williams

Rick Williams Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2017

Actually I think we started that after Jarvis burnt us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed we did.

All the more reason I stated it all started with Ryan.

14. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    What if you trade back and Watt is gone?

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Glad the Steelers don't agree. Id rather have the better player at 5 years. The 5th year comes in handy when you have to manage the cap.

Didnt bother me. I enjoyed the tribute and built the suspense.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    SI.com and Albert Breer were tipping some of the picks before they were announced.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well with all the talent left there I would have been fine with it. Like I said this draft is loaded, both Kings, Awuzie, Obi, Lewis just at the CB & S position. I am only talking like 4 picks the most, look SF traded up, I know they traded in front of us but I am just giving an example. I like Watt but I like more players in this draft. Jmo

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't get me wrong I loved the tribute as well but then hold up the draft. Look what happened things got bunched up and we get screwed not talking about our pick. Plus all the other site leaking the info.....

As for the 5th year and the cap I hear you but we are talking one player. I am curious I know we just picked up Shaziers option but how often does it happen? There are many ways around the cap and if I could get 2 starters for giving up one year I would do that all day and twice on sunday.....lol.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    TY

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing to keep in mind on the option is that the cost of the option is lower for picks at the bottom of the 1st round, so for a guy at #30 there's a lot of daylight between his option cost and the cost of the franchise tag. That gets factored into the numbers that get negotiated for his extension after 4 years. We're trying to negotiate with Bell who has a $12+ million tag cost. If it were a $5-7 million option year cost, the starting point for negotiations is different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Also twitter.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I wasn't near a TV last night so I couldn't really participate too well without spoiling, because I didn't know how far off the broadcast was. I just keep this page open- https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate. This guy knows the picks before anyone it seems.

I've been apprehensive about him throughout the pre-draft season because of his previous injuries and his lack of experience. I like the pick though, and I'm excited to see what he can do.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Someone got a great picture of Garrett Bolles on the stage last night overlooking Philly:

lionking-01_a_l.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks guys, I am not a twitter dude my kids tell me I would love it as much as I am into sports. I am afraid if I do get on twitter I may never get any work done...lol. This message board is hard for me to visit come the spring and summer as my work has me all over and I am in and out of my office so much.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They do this crap to us every draft. I should have put ESPN on but I like NFL's coverage better, EXCEPT that they stick it to the Steelers every year. Today I'm switching to ESPN when we are on the clock and see if they discuss our picks over there.

Anyone watching ESPN last night? Did they discuss?

• Agree Agree x 1