1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Penguins

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Lizard72, Apr 10, 2016.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm a Habs fan but they aren't looking too hot.

Best of luck to the Pens and all my Steel City friends!

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Pens up 2-0 in opening round against BJ's - MAF playing like he's 10 years younger - Sid and Geno hitting their stride. Sweet. :dancing::dancing::dancing:

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    as Sonny Bono once said: "And the beat goes on.......". Up 3-0. Feel sorry for the BJ fans - they were so raucous and excited to have a playoff game at home - but it wasn't to be. Can't believe the Nashville/Blackhawk series - that's so bizarre - 2 shutouts on the road against the Hawks. Chicago worried me if we were to get to the finals against them...now maybe not.

4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Pens should wrap the series up tonight, I'm glad they didn't finish them off in game 5. That would have been too long of a time off until their first game against Washington. Sometime the Pens get flat for the first game of a series if they have too many days off after closing the previous series out.
    I think the next series against the caps will be their toughest one. They are on their way to a repeat.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with the first point but Maple Leafs are tied with Caps right now and anything's possible, though not probable. I'm shocked with Nashville vs Chicago up 3-0.

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It's nice having Malkin and Kessel in a playoff pool. :hehehe:

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    OK - you're prophetic on both counts - very pleased with the first, not so much on the second - Caps will be tough but........they haven't proven that come playoff time. I hope they continue in their ways. Opening on the road will be a challenge - Pens have been average on the road.

8. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Caps have a history of choking in the playoffs and I hope they continue also. This is the same as last year when the Caps were slight favorites and had home ice advantage. We need to repeat what we did to them last year and the rest of it should take care of itself.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree 100%. I was surprised to read that the Pens have beat the Caps in 8 of 9 playoff series - sounds like Steelers and Pats in reverse. For what it's worth we split 4 games with Caps this year - each winning their two home games.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Whoa Daddy - I believe the Pens lulled the Caps the 1st period and came out with guns a blazin' to start Period 2 - double barrelled action - but that finish had to be the most exciting last 2 minutes of hockey I've witnessed in a long time - so glad we were up 3-2 at the time - never seen so many players laying on the ice near the net and the refs allowing them to play on - absolutely riveting hockey and on the road no less. Go Pens!!!!!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

11. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pens have taken the home ice advantage away from the Caps. I expect all of the games in the series will be close, The Pens need to win tomorrow and go up 2-0 and see how the Caps react.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The Pens must know they're playing for your animal groups - they are remarkable how they can get so outplayed for an entire period and then just turn on the magic. Not sure what was up with all the Pen penalties in game 2 - but they held their own and ran rough-shot over the deflated Caps. Now that Caps are desperate, I'm just hoping they don't blatantly go for the Pens heads or legs while we smoke them these next two games.

13. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    When the camera panned the Caps bench and some fans it was a really depressed looking group of people. Some of the experts? are starting to back off on their pick of the Caps winning the series just like they changed their tune last year. A few more people will jump on the Pens bandwagon soon just like last year.
    The most amusing one I have seen is a brain dead female on one of the networks flat out saying a couple of days before the series started that the Caps would win because MAF was way to old to keep up with the Caps and they would destroy him. I wonder if the bimbo feels anywhere near as dumb as she is now.
    If you want to make a statement like that on national TV, then someone needs to call her out for being stupid when it is proven wrong. The Pens could still not win the Cup again this year but it's looking better and better. I'm starting to give some thought as to what good odds I will get on betting the Pens to win the Cup again next year for a three peat?

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    As I think you've pointed out in the past Fan, MAF can't do it alone, the number of defensive shot blocks in addition to MAF's spectacular ones, begins to tell the whole story. Perhaps this is why he appears to have a new lease on life because they are playing well in front of him (including Sid). This lady you mentioned will be (hopefully) eating mass quantities of crow along with Ron Cook over at the Post Gazette who wrote a piece saying "The Pen's Can't Beat the Caps Without Chris Letang" just before this series began. Loving it.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    So Ovie takes a swing at Sid's head and that makes Sid start to fall while Nisky takes a cross-check to Sid's head....

Yup! Par for the course always targeting the head.

Now you get the Overtime penalty on Daley gets the holding call when Cullen was dragged by a hook right in front of the Ref on a breakaway attempt with no call....

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes Sir - that's it in a nutshell. I realize it all happened in a split second but these guys live and see and react in micro-seconds - so no excuse. I predicted exactly this very thing 3 posts up on this page: "Now that Caps are desperate, I'm just hoping they don't blatantly go for the Pens heads or legs while we smoke them these next two games." Well the head thing came true but the Pens only smoked the Caps for 45 seconds out of 60+ minutes of play.

17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Caps have always played dirty. It is what it is, so the Pens look like they will have to beat the Caps without Crosby. I think they do just that and win the series. I doubt Crosby is back for this series and he might be out for the rest of the playoffs. The Pens are a very good team even without Crosby and they should win the Cup again.
    Even if they can't win the Cup they need to eliminate the Caps. There is a reason the Caps have never won a Stanley Cup and it is showing up again. Their players and coach just can't deal with pressure.
    Knocking them out of the playoffs by winning this series will even be sweeter now that they will need to do it without Crosby. I expect the Pens to come out really fired up for the game tomorrow night.

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It took the Pens a while to adjust without Crosby as evidenced by their poor man advantage penalty play - especially the 5 minutes that followed the Crosby hit(s). Sullivan seems like an adjustment genius - hoping he (and the Pens) can continue to pull it off.

...Edit - it's official, Crosby out for game 4 and likely beyond with a concussion http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/penguins-sidney-crosby-out-for-game-4-because-of-a-concussion/

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem now is they can put that D-pairing on Geno and he's not been really good so far with his puck play.

Best case they throw the HBK line back together (they start clicking like last year) and Malkin starts attacking more and that takes away his unnecessary passing that's been leading to turnovers.

That 5 minute Major ended up counting as 2 PP, but they really only saw about 2:30 minutes of it. They really need Crosby on the PP since Letang isn't there.

Might need to really start crashing the net a bit more. They don't have him to control that behind the goalline play like he does.

Another thing I've noticed all year is that they tend to have 3-4 men along the boards fighting for a puck while the other teams tend to only have 2-3. They've been able to win like that, but the caps are jumping on those passes when they try to get it up and out, because there's no other angles to cover.

20. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Good points. If the Pens come out tonight with the energy that they should have after the last game I think they win tonight and if they go up 3-1 I think they win the series. The rest of the playoffs should be winnable and the repeat should still happen. I do hope the Pens punish and hurt some Caps.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing that's still killing me is that the Nisky hit was a 5 minute major, but Ovi should have went for at least the slash (not counting the follow-through high stick) for 2 minutes of 5 on 3. In game 3. He's one of the most careless players on the ice at times and he gets away with it more later in his career.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What is up with Niskanen anyways the hit on Crosby after the Kessel goal in game two was questionable, then comes the game misconduct hit and tonight he is taking runs at Fluery after he has clearly frozen the puck to get the whistle. I get that both Flower and Hotlby made some questionable putting the puck back into play moves in this game but if he is trying to get into Flower's head there are better ways than skating in and bumping him. It's like he is mad he isn't a Pen anymore or something.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's been designated the hitter for the Caps. It's pretty obvious that's what he's being told to do.

Make that extra contact and take what you can get away with.

The only reason he was called for that cross-check was because he got him in the face. Otherwise that's a cross check right into Crosby's ribs/hip area and the refs don't call it.

I mean they let a baseball swing slash go right in front of the net!

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The weird part of that is that being the hitter is a huge part of Orpik's game and I think he is doing it and having a better series than Nisky because the secondary shots he is trying to make are putting him in a bad position. You buying any of this Ovie moving on if they lose story line?

25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011