1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospect Visits

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 3, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    https://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-conner-pitt-letter-to-nfl-gms/

read this article on him. And then remind yourself of the play by AB84 stretching over the goal line vs the ratbirds. I think Conner would play like that on every 3rd down.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will he be there at #2? But don't we have Ayers in the slot?

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

we had rogers in the slot. samuel would be a backup wr and rb. i think samuel is better than both ayers and rogers. mostly he could play the bell role as a rb that can split out to wr on any given play. dangerous from either spot too. no i don't think he will be there at our 2nd pick. just using him for the conversation about a rb being bell like. he's not as good of a RB as bell but a better wr than bell. :cool:

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think a more apt comparison for Samuel is Percy Harvin. I don't think there's anything "Bell-like' other than the fact that they both run with and catch a football.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    thats pretty much what they have turned bell into instead of just a RB. he is harvin and bell like in that aspect. you can use him in either spot effectively. :cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Who this guys:

harlan miller.jpg

FYI I still haven't given up hope........:shrug:

7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Hey now I don't believe that was ever said.........

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    :facepalm: Bell tallied 21.8 carries per game in the regular season, and had 59 carries in our first 2 playoff games. Is that something that Samuel can do consistently at the NFL level? No. Samuel can beat safeties and corners over the top for 60 yard TDs, and take quick slants to the house. Can Bell do that? No. Bell can pick up a blitzing linebacker to protect his QB. Can Samuel do that? Umm... doubtful. I think Samuel is a very explosive talent, and could bring great value, but he's never going to be an every down back. If you have both guys on your roster, and Bell gets injured, you can't just plug Samuel in and have him fill Bell's shoes. You would need another guy to step in as the 1st and 2nd down back and continue to use Samuel the same way you were already using him with a few more carries than he would have otherwise gotten. They areVERY different players, and one cannot be a substitute for what the other does. I'm not sure why you're even arguing that point other than just to argue. :beee:

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe you should back up this thread and read what i said about samuel. ;):cool:

10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Samuel, is a nice ball player. But if your thinking of using him
    as a RB in the NFL, you are barking up the wrong tree. Could be
    a very capable slot receiver though.But we currently have two good ones
    on our team. No room for this pick @ #2.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this whole conversation started as a rb who had the skill set of how we use bell. i said the closest to that would be samuel. i'm not saying we pick him because first off he won't be there at our 2nd pick. i'm also not saying he's a replacement for bell for us, just that he has the skill to be a RB and split out and be a wr too. i also said he wouldn't be an every down back but as a guy a team could use as a few carries a game guy to spell your starter and is hard to defend because of what he can do. he can also give you many things for one pick. if he had a decent qb at OSU his numbers would have been a lot better than they are. he is quite talented and his speed is very,very good. he's built pretty solid too and strong. i wouldn't be against the pick for sure if they decided to go that route. instead of picking a RB and a WR in this draft he could be that in one player, plus a returner. he will make some team happy. he's not ranked bottom of the first/top of the second for no reason. thats all guys. :shrug: wow:smiley1::cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, does this guy come with little red boots and cape too???? :lolol:

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The RB that most resembles Bell is Joe Mixon. We won't be drafting him. I don't like Samuel as a RB at all. I think he is mainly a slot guy. Maybe you get him a few carries with some sweeps. I don't think he will be doing much between the tackles. Someone will take him early in the 2nd as a slot receiver.

I don't think RB is going to be a big priority in this draft. Lots of RBs available via free agency.

Probably take a look at Gallman, Hunt or Conner as a mid round option.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers have 8 picks, I think they should go 5 on defense and 3 on offense. They could probably wait until the 4th rd to get a RB, this draft is deep at the position guys like Marlon Mack, Jamal Williams, Kareem Hunt, Jeremy McNichols.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have already read that article and I respect the point your trying to make. I highly doubt they are taking Bell off the field on 3rd down for Conner. My hope for a RB in this draft is someone who is good enough to step on the field when Bell shouldn't still be in a game and offers up some of the same skills. Maybe even someone who can be on the field at the same time on occasion. I guess my point I'm trying to make is Conner may add some value in short yardage situations and maybe even some sort of closer role but we need a legitimate back up to Bell because right now we don't have one....

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that would be scarlet boots and a grey cape. :cool:

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011

BOO :smiley1: Just Kidding Mac, I know your a Steeler homer just like myself
    and just trying to make the Steelers a better team. It's all good we all just love talking football and rooting for the greatest team on the planet.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Other than talking to a player their isnt much to gain from 30 visits, like cards GM Steve Keim said in sundays sport news his scouts and coaches visited 303 colleges in the US and Canada, they wrote reports on 5000 players and put a draft value on 823 players in this years draft and I assume we did about the same hunting and looking at players, so that doesnt leave much to gain from a visit at this point.......

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    These visits are very important, IMO.
    They get to pick their brains, draw plays up on the board and have the kid disect it. They get a feel for what kind of person he is, does he seem mature, is he bright, etc.

20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    What is the protocol for these visits/private workouts?

Does the team ever ask players to come in and participate. Would Ben ever come in to throw to a WR or TE? Would they ever get one of our WRs to come in to go up against a CB? Or is it more of a get to know you type event?

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not allowed to work them out but can keep them there all day, for medical and testing them.

Here's a write up on it, it's NE based but get a good idea. Figures hoodie grilled Jimmy G more than anyone else.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...ing-prospects/Sj3QAwyZT6FFoIci2zgUoK/amp.html

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This pretty much says it all: (The trap, of course, is putting too much stock in pre-draft visits).

My opinion,Visiting with 30 players out of the hundreds eligible for the draft mainly just says they are looking at who they want in the first two rounds while over looking potentially better players rated below them that may be a better fit for the team, like I said it's a waste of time, hell if a kid after spending years playing football cant decipher a scheme on a chalk board he shouldn't be considered a draft pick to begin with.....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm kind of surprised that they've only brought in one TE prospect in this loaded class. And we need one. And the one they've brought in is probably a 7th rd-FA guy.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure glad the Steelers don't share your opinion. Like hiring a guy based only on his resume and never having an interview.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I think if I am investing millions, I am sure in the hell going to be asking
    a lot of questions to my job applicants IN PERSON.

• Agree Agree x 2