1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is really in play at Pick #30?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, a pretty good breakdown. Definitely opened my eyes to some things I didn't know before.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The more I watch, the more willing I would be willing to stand pat at #30 and draft Safety, Budda Baker, Washington.

I'm not sure I see many holes in his game other than size. Great range. Good ball skills. Can play man or zone. Could play slot corner. Good run support.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The only drawback is his size. He attacks guys 20-30 lbs. heavier than him like a missile, which raises obvious questions about durability over a 16+ game season. I think he's a great player. He's probably not in play for our 1st rounder based on reading the Colbert/Tomlin road show tea leaves, but I like him a lot.

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    They did bring him in for a visit though. Has to count for something.

I really think if this wasn't such a strong Safety class, with Hooker, Adams, Peppers and Obi, that in a normal year, Baker could be a top 15-20 pick, and now we have to chance to get him at #30.

Sign me up!

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Serious consideration at pick 30?

TJWatt DE/OLB, he so raw with just one year but so talented, Motor is nonstop and measurables is comparable to recently retired Ware's. Position of need.

David Njoku TE, A true offensive weapon, red zone threat. In fact I have him ranked #1 TE ( I'm not crazy) and on par with WR Ross & Davis. Instant starter and super great 12 personnel Upgrade and increased playbook options.

Jabril Peppers SS, he is a perfect fit for our SS and an upgrade over Davis. I like Davis but view him more of a FS and would love him over Mitchell. We could also play him slot corner ( Davis ) and big Nickel.

Taco Charlton DE/OLB, another high upside guy. Imagine a DL of Dupree-Heyward-Tuitt-Taco.... This line has the chance to dominate and pressure.

Just how I'm seeing things right now....... Don't overlook David Njoku

Cajun

7. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    One week to go!:yeehaw:

Here's where I am currently standing at #30:

Would like:
    1. Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
    2. Obi Melifonwu, S, UCONN
    3. Budda Baker, S, Washington
    4. Adoree Jackson, CB, USC
    5. TJ Watt, LB, Wisconsin

Think:
    1. TJ Watt, LB, Wisconsin
    2. Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA
    3. Budda Baker, S, Washington
    4. Charles Harris, OLB, Mizzou
    5. Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida

Would HATE:
    1. Any QB
    2. Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida
    3. Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
    4. TreDavius White, CB, LSU
    5. Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Alabama LB Reuben Foster failed a drug test at the combine :facepalm:.

9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    No wonder he had an attitude. He knew.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    diluted sample from too much water. Wonder if he would have re-tested if he didn't go Bruce Banner on the medical staff.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Imo ....if he fell to 30 I would still have to think hard about it....he's a stud ILB.

12. Rick Williams

Rick Williams Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Only big negative on Peppers is there are no splash plays. Or few ones. 1 int, no ffs and to that extent seems like he would be a reach in the first. I like Melifonwu better, almost double the tackles, 4 ints.

Rick

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    They are just really different players used in completely different roles on defense. I forget who posted this (sorry!) and which thread it was in, but someone posted a video on peppers and how he was used as a boundary defender because Michigan lacked speed at LB. He was used primarily in zone to be a threat to blitz/contain the run and had outside leverage on most of his coverages which hurt his ability to make plays. He passes defended were down because of this and it also would've affected his tackle total because his job was to have contain and force a cut back from the RB on outside runs.

His role as a S his sophomore year he had 10 passes defended (which is twice that of Obi's best season) and had more TFL in his final year than Obi had in his entire college career. And that's not even mentioning his contribution on ST and offense.

I'm not bringing all of this up to say Peppers is clearly better or anything, just that they are totally different players and their stats are reflections of the style rather than talent (they are both super talented).
    I think the reasons why some like one better than the other are mostly style related. That's just me tho.

14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone do any study on Jordan Willis? I had done a little, had him more in the round 2 area. Good size. Good production. Had him as a potential target at #62.

Anyways I had heard Mayock actually say he could be in play for the Steelers at #30. So I decided to go back and take another look. I will have to say that I disagree with Mayock. Definitely have to say he is round 2 material.

But, most importantly, a different player from Kansas St caught my eye. No, not Elijah Lee, although I really like him too in Round 2.

In a few years from now, remember the name Reggie Walker. He was a freshman DE. He's under sized 6'2 240. Freshman all-American. Talk about explosive. 6.5 sacks, 11.5 TFL.

Definitely someone to keep an eye on over the next couple of years.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    willis gets off his feet way too much on tape. they used him as more of a D-end at kansas st.. i do like him however. he is probably the closest thing out there to dupree. athlete/ strength/ speed/ size. we would need some coaching but thats true with many of them. could very well pay off in a year or two more than immediately. we do have time and players in place to make this happen though. he's one that keeps popping up to me as a guy we could take. tankersley is another for some reason. biegel is another. :cool:

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I have Steel.

To answer your question, he is the Danielle Hunter of this class. He has to go in the right scheme to work. He is a 4-3 power end built only for 4-3 teams. Draft him as a 3-4 OLB if you want but you better have a plan for him.

Dallas seems to love the kid.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Arden Key and Josh Sweat are currently occupying my time now but I will remember Reggie for sure. :smiley1:

18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The more time that goes by, the more I think Obi could and should be in play. He's so big and fast that you could do so much with him. Play him single high, down low, lb in Nickle. I still have my heart set on Watt, but Obi would be really exciting.