1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospect Visits

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 3, 2017.

1. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Could this RB be a Steeler... Samaje Perine... He looks like he would be good at softening some DL's.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He is in our Steeler mock draft :lolol: Saxson was at Oklahoma on their pro day, so who knows??

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I hope not, like I said in our mock I want a RB with Bell's skill set so if he is out we don't have to change our style. JMO

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    James Conner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    What's your take on him?

I like him, but for being a bigger/slower back he doesn't seem to run with as much power as I expected.

I thought the same as L Bell when he was at Michigan St. Bell dropped alot of weight and look at him now.

6. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Bell's skill set would be found in the 5th round? A smashmouth 4th qtr bull would work out good to get some first downs.... keep the other QB on the bench and kill the clock.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've watched James Connor since he was in high school.
    I live up here in Northwest, PA. James is from Erie.

Kid has the heart of a lion and he can ball.
    Originally he went to Pitt to be a Defensive of end.
    He sacked kids in high school at the point it looked like a man playing with boys up in Erie.

He was not recruited well, but he was an All American Back his Sophomore season at Pitt. Then he had his Hodgkin's cancer scare and also hurt his knee the opening game of his Junior year. Going to to that Junior year he was going to be a Heisman candidate to start the season.
    He red shirted the year.
    He came back last year and was decent player. But, I'm convinced he still was 100% over what his chemo treatments did to his body.
    He had one heck of game against Clemson, Ran for 130 yards two touchdowns, caught 3 passes for 60 yards. Did I mention Clemson won the national championship and had one of the best defenses?

He is a power back, not terrific break away speed. But, he can ware down defenses, and I think he be a great RB to complement Leveon Bell.

If we get him the 5th round I'd be so happy.

Not sure if he will last to that point. But. I'm a James Connor fan boy. Would love to see him stay local and play for us.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh boy here we go again.....skill set not skill level. I want a back up rb who can do the same things as Bell(obviously not as good) so if and when Bell is out we can run the same style offense. Look what happened with a veteran like Dwill, he played nice but the offense wasn't the same. You want a change of pace back that is fine I understand but I don't think Davis and or Fitz can be the kind of back up I want. There are a lot of guys in this draft that have done in college what Bell is doing for us, yes at a different level but we don't know if they will be good or not. I am willing to give one of them a chance and hope if something does happen to Bell he have a capable back up that can do all them things. jmo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Skill set is just a fancy way of saying, pass catching RB. DWill is a pass catching RB, so is Fitz. What they don't have is Bells skill level.

Doesn't matter if they can run the same plays by having a similar RB because without Bell in there, they won't have the ability to do what Bell does once he gets the ball in his hands.

Its on Haley to game plan for when they don't have Bell. I would think more involvement of your slot receivers would be one way to try and make up the slack for not having Bell. Also, your TE's, James is a good safety net.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very Good observation, James Conner is a winner. Hope he is playing
    for the black and gold next year.Just a good football player.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    There is a different between having Bell's skill set and a pass catching RB. Having Bell's skill set is being able to run after the catch, also being able to make a move/juke and then hit the hole. McCaffrey, Mack, Hunt, Cook, McNichols, MaGuire and Mathers have all shown they can do it in college. Can they be what Bell is well that is big shoes to fill and I wouldn't expect them to be Bell, heck I am pretty sure we all didn't expect Bell to be what he is now. What I am saying is these guy I named and they are just a few names, are guys that do have a chance to give us something like Bell does, guys like Perine don't offer that.

Can we change up the game plan sure we could but why should we have to? Why should one guy being out and not having a capable back up affect everyone else? Why should Ben have to change his reads or change his style, why should we make it easy on other defenses? The days of thunder and lightning in the NFL is over. JMO

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, there's not. You're either a RB that can catch the ball out of the backfield or your not. After you catch the ball you're just a RB.

DWill is a good RB that can catch the ball. Does our offense look the same when he's in? No.

So what you're really doing is throwing darts at the board hoping for another future HOF RB. Good luck with that.

Now if you're asking me if there are two RBs of equal talent at running the ball but one can catch too, then I'd take the one that can catch. But when we made our pick in the mock, I felt Perine was head and shoulders above the rest, purely as runner and too good to pass up.

As far as Haley and Ben having to adjust, boohoo. Belichick and NE change what they do on a weekly basis. Maybe we'd be harder to defend if teams didn't already know it's AB and Bell they have to lock in on.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This debate on running backs with Bell's skill set seems to be missing 2 key themes IMO. One is pass protection, where Bell has been solid. If a guy can catch, but can't pick up a blitzer, he's only 1/2 of a 3rd down back. The other theme is style, and by that I mean can a guy run with something similar to Bell's rather unique combination of patience and fearlessness. Most RBs will be unable to fight the instinct to bolt past their blockers after a couple of seconds rather than following our "moving pocket" of linemen while a seam develops. DWill is a good runner, but he did not run with anything near Bell's patience.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree, catching the ball and running after the catch are 2 different things. As far as "throwing darts at the board" yes that is what this whole draft is, imo. What I will say is I am not looking for a RB who is a bruiser, I want to find a guy who has shown in college he can do the things that Bell has done for us. When Bryant left us with his suspension we didn't put a slot WR in his place we had Coates who was a burner. The same thing I want with a RB from this class.

Since you bring up teams locking on Bell and AB. The less change we can put on this team the better we will be, the more the defense has to prepare for and the more weapons we have. I can't help that they don't use them but from my fan's stand point I want them to have as many weapon as possible to be able to use. JMO

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this and I have to hope that these guys can be taught how to pick up the blitz at the pro level. Now if you watch Hunt, McGuire and Mathers I see a lot of Bell's style of running. I am not saying they can do it at a pro level but from my stand point I like the fact that they start and stop, do a juke then go. This is one of the things I like about these guys I have named, are they Bell hell no but who is? If you don't bring in a guy with that skill set you will never know if he is or isn't, not to mention how much he could learn from Bell. jmo

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    curtis samuel. 3 for 1. good RB, good wr, good returner. 171 touches last year. 9.6 yards per touch. 8 TDs rushing. 7 TDs rec. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Agree with your choice here Mac just prefer to get him later than projected, he had 865 receivinging yards on 74 receptions needs to add weight at 5-11 196 but if he falls to the 3rd round he can be more than just a receiver back he recorded 15 TDs last year 7 running and 8 tds catching:

Fox Sports:
    Curtis Samuel, Ohio State

He's part running back, part wide receiver, part special teams game breaker — he's an athlete, and more progressive offensive teams will be interested in finding ways to get the ball into his hands at the next level. Some team is going to fall in love with him — don't be shocked if he goes on the first or second day despite his placement on this list at 10.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. Excellent points.

After you catch the ball, you revert back to RB. Not sure what your point is here.

Not recklessly. Sorry but Im not passing on Jerome Bettis in the 1st to take a guy who can catch in the 4th.

Being able to change on the fly and adapt is a positive, not a deterrent. Better that, than hoping to find a Bell clone. The guys you mentioned don't remind me of Bell other than their ability to catch a football.

19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well not much I can say if their running style don't look like Bell's in your eyes. In my eyes I see a lot of one cut stop and go, especially in McGuire and Hunt.

:smiley1:

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

if he fell to us in the 2nd round we should be all over him. 18 reps too. 4.31 20. he's talented for sure. if you want a guy that can play both spots at a high level this would be a guy to look at. especially since we have fitz and davis in house right now. he's not going to be an every down back but he can do so many things well. he can move from the backfield out to wr and he's such a talented wr he can twist up defensive backs with his route running and speed. he can also run the ball very well. as a number two back he is the guy that could be bell like but maybe even a better wr in that part of the game when he splits out. very hard to defense a guy like him. :cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    OMG, you butchered that, I can't even quote that jumbled mess so Ill just start with Bettis. You missed the point completely. You're pounding the drum for a guy with Bells skills set, I was simply pointing out that you can't pass on superior talent when its there. Never said Perine was Bettis but he was the best talent at RB when we picked. Believe it or not, still have to be able to run the ball from scrimmage.

Sorry but most RB's juke and cut and all that stuff. Doesn't make them Bell. Don't make me dig up that guy you pimped last year. You see a lot of things in prospects I can't :lolol:

22. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know I'm gonna catch grief because he's a local kid...great character.....better story...but. Just don't see it with Conner. Bruising back,yeah but don't know how that will play out on the next level,runs extremely upright. Game speed looks a little better than advertised but....if we were looking for a closer yeah I could see it ,but a viable backup to Bell if something should happen....no. Wouldn't even sniff him before the 5th....I'm not delirious to think we cold get someone between the 4-6th that could wear Bell's shoes but I would like someone who could fit into 1.....and no I'm not getting into the skill set debate:smiley1:. I am targeting a viable back up that hopefully our coaching staff actually trusts to get some run...

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah I know I screw the pouch on that post, hey I never said I was perfect. :shrug:

I get your point with Bettis but my point is we don't know who will and won't do well. The draft is such a crap shoot you will never know. I feel like a lot of things matter the team the system that a players goes to is big...look at the Clowns for example.

As far as prospects go you and I are rarely on the same page but like I said many times that is what makes this fun. I am willing to look at your side....even though your wrong all the time....:lolol::hehehe::facepalm::drinks:

And as far as last years guy which one...Higbee? The dude would have been all pro if he went to a real team.....sorry couldn't resist. :thumbs_up:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, but that was a good one too. I was thinking of Harlan Miller :lollmao:

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Best..... corner..... ever!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2