1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drafting a QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    What? Bradshaw is A CHEAP FLOSSIE? Who woulda thunk it?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    nope, i'm one of the few that thinks he's come a long way and will be as good if not better than these draft picks. as i said before webb to me is like starting over with jones. i like landry and think if he starts getting all the reps he may be a lot better than most think. mettinberger too. we have a good team for him to work with unlike where he was prior. we may have to do nothing besides get a young guy to groom as a 2nd or 3rd fiddle down the road. :cool:

3. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Kaaya or Peterman have the best odds of being a steeler in round 3

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    And they will be the number 4 QB, not much chance of either one moving up to #3 unless mett is released and they will most likely end up on the PS after camp closes, so that 3 pick would be better spent on a player that can make the roster at another position of need...

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Actually if the Steelers draft a QB in the 3rd he will be on the active roster, they will release Mettenberger. They drafted Landry in the 4th and didn't put him on the PS. Since they have two picks in the 3rd, I would be okay with Webb or Kaaya in the 3rd.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A third round pick of any flavor isn't going on the practice squad. He'd be grabbed instantly. A free third round pick for someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelCityThor

SteelCityThor Member

Apr 15, 2017
    I actually really like brad kaaya, he had 4 different head coaches for his college career. What he needs is a good team with a veteran QB (Big Ben) and a good coach (Mike Tomlin) and he could be a great player. His footwork honestly is the best in the draft and I think people loose sight of that because of the top QB's (Trubisky,Kizer,Watson,Pat) if you watch his tape his footwork and his tape is better than Watsons,and Kizer, but not Trubisky.

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I just don't see a 3rd string clip board holder helping the Steelers get to the Super Bowl this year....and that is what this draft should be about...getting bodies on the field.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I've always rooted for LJ and he is getting better every year. But, he just doesn't have the arm talent to be a top tier QB in the NFL no matter how many of the practice reps he gets. If he was suddenly our starting QB, we would be left with a guy who would be, at best, the the 26th/27th best starter in the league. I'll give Landry the nod over anyone the jets, browns, 49ers, texans, rams throw out there.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    time will tell. we have no idea how any of these draft picks will play in the NFL either. our team at full strength around any qb should make that qb better. the OC should then pair the game to that qb not ben at that point. LJ was ranked as one of the top backups last year in the league. it's hard to gauge how a guy will play with just a start here and a start there without getting all the reps for more than a few days. his arm talent isn't that bad either. we have to stop comparing everyone to ben too, it will be quite different.

of course he won't be brady, rogers or many of the other top qb's but who is? heck ben is only ranked as like the 5th best out of those guys. so between 25th and 5th is only about half of the league. with a good defense and the offensive firepower we will have around a guy i'd hope it's higher than 26th or 27th best. i think you may be a little low on that estimate too. remember many of these aging qb's will be going in the next couple of years too. giants, cards, chargers, chicago isn't too good right now, saints, jacksonville. many are iffy and won't have near the team around those qb's.:cool:

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Not a bad top 10
    The 10 oldest NFL starting quarterbacks in 2017

1. Tom Brady, Patriots, 39

2. Drew Brees, Saints, 38

3. Carson Palmer, Cardinals, 37

4. Eli Manning, Giants, 36

5. Philip Rivers, Chargers, 35

6. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers, 35

7. Aaron Rodgers, Packers, 33

8. *Alex Smith, Chiefs, 32

9. Joe Flacco, Ravens, 32

10. *Matt Ryan, Falcons, 31

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there are only 3 qb's 6-4 or over out of the top 30 for next years draft. that increases a little if others come out early but only slightly. it's nice to say we can wait or just draft one once ben is gone but............ it ain't that easy. :smiley1::cool:

13. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    2013 draft evaluation of LJones by USA Today;

One thing that cannot be doubted about Jones is his arm strength. When he is on, he is an accurate passer who can make any professional throw.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    This is exactly why I do not want anything to do with taking any QB this year.

When we do decide to take a QB, the team better be ready to jettison Landry Jones and that QB better be the immediate backup.

In an ideal scenario, I would take a QB in Round 1, the year before Ben retires. I think Ben has 2-3 years left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. funkysteelersfan

Nov 1, 2011
    His arm strength might have impressed that draft evaluator but the present day eye test is obvious... his arm strength makes me think of Matt Flynn not Big Ben

16. funkysteelersfan

Nov 1, 2011
    Of the 32 starting QB's from last year, other than the 5 I mentioned, who would you rate lower than LJ.

17. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    If Perriman or Webb are still around in 3B.. We could pick one up... Jones would be #3 by preseason game 3 and Zach would be out..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    for one it's not last year and for two he's not a starting qb right now. :cool:

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Madden 17 QB arm strength ratings:

• Landry Jones has great Passing skills

• He is good at throwing long bombs with higher than average Throw Power (91) and Deep Throwing Accuracy (73) among all QBs.

20. funkysteelersfan

Nov 1, 2011
    That's why I said if he was suddenly our starting quarterback and last years starters is the most relevant thing to use for comparison

21. funkysteelersfan

Nov 1, 2011
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.... I'm going trust what I see live more than what a video game tells me about this. I see a guy with, at best,an average arm with a bit of indecisiveness mixed in. I like him as a backup who plays a game or two each year but a deep playoff with him as a starter seems highly unlikely.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Landry's arm is perfectly adequate. It's his head that's the problem IMO.

23. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    He was in the Bungles camp this week trying out as a TE

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm saying he's gotten better every year so far. he won't have to start while ben is here and hopefully builds on where he is now. he had a good game against new england last year. would have been even closer except for a bad call on a hold during another TD pass. the cleveland game i won't hold against him without all of the starters but he did end up winning it. indecisiveness comes from not getting a lot of playing time. he threw for near 16,000 yards in college, i don't think arm is a problem. :cool:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No rookie QB is going to beat out Landry for the #2 spot. I think you mean Peterman not Perriman :shrug:.