1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is really in play at Pick #30?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Interested in thoughts on who could really be in play at Pick #30. History shows that the Steelers will show a lot of public interest in their 1st round pick prior to the draft. From what I've read, the last time they picked a player in the 1st round without either an onsite visit or a full meeting at the player's pro day was when Hood was drafted in 2009. Since then there has been documented meetings. Many have come to Pittsburgh, and both Dupree and Burns had dinner with Tomlin the night before their pro days (Colbert was also there for Dupree's dinner). Here are the player that I think are actually in play at #30 and why:

1. TJ Watt - I think he's the pick if available. The Steelers sent MT, KC and JP to his pro day, and both MT and KC dined with Watt and Vince Biegel the night before. Yeah, some reported said that they like him, but wouldn't spend a 1st on him. I'm not going by what one random reporter says. The fit is obvious to me, and I'd be very happy if his name is called at Pick #30. Not sure what else to say about it.

2. Marlon Humphrey - I know he's projected to go early, but this is a draft that's rich at the CB position. I've recently seen some question marks about whether he's as good as the top guys in this draft. A corner who would be a Top 15 pick in a typical year may very well be available at #30. They may see Humphrey as this year's DeCastro, and have prepared by having KC at his pro day and an official visit to Pittsburgh. I think he'll be gone, but if he's not he may be too tempting to pass on. I have only watched one game of him, so I'm not yet sure how I'd feel about this, but getting a top-rated corner is rarely a bad thing.

3. Derek Rivers - I don't like him at #30 at all, but the Steelers might. They met with him at the Sr Bowl and combine, and then had him in for a private visit. JP was at his pro day. MT and KC did not go to his pro day, but they were wooing Hightower at that same time, and that may be why they skipped it. There's clearly interest, and I'm hoping it's 2nd round or later interest. He checks all of the boxes for physical tools, but his tape is very blah to me. He may be great in 2019, but I can't see him impacting in 2017 the way we need our 1st round guy to impact.

4. Jarrad Davis - KC and Olsavsky supposedly met with him at Florida's pro day, and we've had him in for a visit. This may be their guy if they want an ILB. I haven't watched him yet, but certainly will before the draft. I'm not a big fan of going ILB in the 1st round.

5. Chris Wormley - Yeah, I know many don't see him as a 1st rounder, but KC and MT may. He had dinner with KC and MT before his pro day, and we met with him at the combine. He is supposedly spoken very highly of by his coaches. I need to watch him.

6. Tanoh Kpassagnon - [EDIT - I've pulled Kpassagnon from 1st round contention for us. I had read that we has a private workout with him, but I have not confirmed that it was anything more than just an official 30 visit. I think he's solidly in play at #62, especially if we go DB in the 1st, but not for pick #30]

Here are some guys that are often talked about here who I doubt are in play at #30 for us:

1. Obi Melifonwu - The only meeting I've seen reported was the official visit. No pro day visit. No combine interview. It's possible that he came to the team's notice late, maybe as a "we'd better look at this guy" kind of thing after the combine, but I think the signs point to him not being our guy.

2. Jabrill Peppers - I think he'll be gone by pick #20 anyway, but the only thing I've heard linking us to Peppers is the Aditee Kinkhabwala statement about Colbert loving him. Sorry, that one liner doesn't do it. [Edit, while I still haven't seen any news of us having a private meeting with him, KC and MT were at his pro day, so maybe he's in play]

3. Carl Lawson - I feel he is definitely in play in the 2nd if we don't go edge in the 1st, but I doubt we're even considering him at #30. He spoke with Tomlin at his pro day, but no report of an actual meeting, and no official visit.

4. Takk McKinley - I'm 50/50 on whether he's in play. He did make an official visit, and the lack of attendance at his pro day could just be indicative of his injured status.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do believe Obi will be in play by pick 30 should he be the best available option. They still could use some safety depth and a successor to Mike. Within the same token though, nothing is guaranteed.

Otherwise, Marlon Humphery or TJ Watt seem to be the frontrunners from what I see; Derek Rivers being BPA.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Extensive list, don't think I'd add anyone else. Far off chance on Watson or Trubisky? Might be a stretch. But I don't see either there realistically.

If all those players are available when we pick, I think my personal choice would be to go to Humphrey. Pairing him with Burns would be pretty good.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im disappointed they haven't met with Kevin King. I can give up hope that they will be drafting him, not sure why the cold shoulder. Unless I missed that meet. They did meet other King though, Desmond, maybe #2 pick.

I agree that Watt is very much in play, would be happy with that pick.

I don't want Lawson or Rivers in the first and Obi and Peppers will be gone before then.

Big Tanoh fan, took him in our mock, agree with Elvis on him.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Safety is absolutely in play. I think the Steelers would love to get their hands on Peppers or Obi, but I don't think they will be around at #30. With 2 3rd round picks and being on the cusp of a SB birth, is this the year we trade up to lock in our athletic Safety?

I think Budda Baker may also be in play at #30.

There will certainly be corners to consider at #30. Will Conley be there? Do the steelwrs like Adoree Jackson? Do we reach a little bit to grab one we like?

I'm not on board for TE in Round 1 since there's no way OJ Howard falls.

I'd maybe consider WR if one of the top 3 fell, but that's unlikely.

Most likely position OLB? I think Watt is absolutely in play if available. I think Takk could certainly be an option. I think Charles Harris will draw consideration. I love Reddick but expect him to be gone.

I think the 3 most likely scenarios are:

1. TJ Watt
    2. Takk McKinley
    3. Trade up for a S (Peppers/Obi) or stand pat and take Budda Baker.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So many choices and this is before all the trades
    happen. So I really don't have a feel for this Steeler draft.
    I am going to stay with a CB/ Safety in the first.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just don't see the Steelers taking Peppers, who would probably be best in the SS role. Now you take all that athleticism that Davis has out of the SS spot to replace him with someone who is less experienced at coverage. Yes its not a day 1 switch but what would be the eventual role for Davis and Peppers? I don't see Peppers moving to FS to eventually replace Mitchell and I don't see Davis going to FS after what would be 2-3 years experience at the SS spot (depending on how long Mitchell is here). I believe Davis could make the transition but if Mitchell is here for 2 more seasons, then Davis will be a stud SS imo.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    People keep saying Watt at #30, but the Steelers don't like to draft one year starters in the first round.

9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    If watt is there @thirty he absolutely is in play. His knee injurys would deter them more than his lack of experience in my opinion.

Watt may never be able to equal what his brother has done but his upside is still so high he's worthy of a 1st rd pick.

Cajun

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Have they brought Watt in for a visit?

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i do believe safety is in play with obi, peppers (whom i don't care for), josh jones is also a guy bumping up against the late first has visited, marcus maye, desmond king, montae nicholson, budda baker. thats an awful lot of looks for them not to be in play. i hope it's not rivers or peppers. :cool:

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    KC and MT took him to dinner the night before his pro day. Just like Dupree and Burns, dinner at the pro day and no official visit to Pittsburgh.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think safety is very much in play, but probably after the 1st round.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know NB. There's no indication that Reddick or Harris are on the radar, and the only linkage to Peppers is Aditee's random statement that Colbert loves him. KC and MT were at the Michigan pro day, but the reports are that they met with Wormley and Charlton. No indication of meetings with Conley or Jackson either. It's been several years since the Steelers have taken a first rounder that didn't have documented meetings with KC and/or MT that were reported before the draft. I think the list of guys in play at #30 is a lot smaller than this list.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am also disappointed they have not met with Kevin King.

Dude is essentially a more polished and quick version of Artie Burns a year ago. Why not have two big physical corners on the boundries; one of which is a chess piece the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Question is will Marlon Humphery last that long?

Anything is possible on draft day but Marlon screams "top 20".

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I recently watched a handful of Washington games focusing on Jones, Baker and King. Jones' tape says top 10 pick (pre injury) to me. He's an awesome all around corner. Baker is a true chess piece between free safety and slot, and I'd be very cool with him at #30. To me, if Baker was 2 inches taller and 10-15 lbs. heavier with the same exact tape, we'd be talking about him near the top of the draft with Hooker and Adams. King looked very good at times, but not as consistent as the other two IMO. He's not on my radar for pick #30.

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He may not be worth pick 30. However, he is a rock solid BPA option given the fact he is an late one/early round two selection.

If Marlon Humphery is still somehow there though, all bets are off.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Here is more info. for the position pre draft visits via Jeff of behindthesteelcurtain;

Pre-draft Visit Position Totals:

QB: 3

WR: 5

OLB/EDGE Rusher: 5

CB: 5

S: 4

ILB: 3

DL: 1

TE: 1

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they met with he and biegel before their pro day. :cool:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Interesting. I knew they attended the FL pro day, but didn't know that they had dinner with Maye. I have trouble seeing him a 1st, but very much in play in the 2nd IMO.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sure is looking like a lot of players that could work in a more conventional 4-3 defense being looked at. :cool:

24. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    1st. Awuzie, Peppers, Obi, Cunnigham, or Watt

2nd. Rivers, Tanoh, Shaheen, Davis Webb, Tyus Bowser

When your in the AFCCG your really picking in rounds 2,3,4,4,5,6,7,8

25. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    I like the look of Zach Cunningham with Shazier. Williams and Red backing up...