1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospect Visits

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 3, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hollins is a big old long lankey target. long arms. just not a burner. :cool:

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I see Bob Sanders in him.

I just hope his career does not end up that way though.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He has some of the same traits/skills that Sanders had near the line of scrimmage, but I see a guy who can be much better in coverage. His range is huge because of his instincts, and because of how quickly he sets his feet and decisively gets from point A to point B once he see's where the play is going. I would use him as a free safety, but sometimes drop him into the slot for particular match ups. He hasn't been used like Earl Thomas, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him have a similar career if someone did use him that way. You can't teach his kind of instincts.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    3 guys that got overlooked and mostly because the team had to change their positions were the boys from duke. they played with cash for the last couple of years and were very good as safeties. then because of need they were moved to corner. breon boarders, devon edwards ( also injury), corbin mccarthy. all 3 of these guys played safety for duke and when they were freshman, sophomores and juniors were really good. they made a lot of plays. last year their secondary was a mess and they dropped from previous years. these guys were good safeties though. edwards and mccarthy are on the short side but edwards especially was looked at like bob sanders from his frosh year. maybe a couple of guys to look at as UDFA's that have fallen through the cracks for one reason or another. they were once considered one of the best secondaries in college football a couple of years ago. :cool:

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The Steelers tendency is to draft players that they have brought in for visits, so for what little time is remaining before draft day I'm focusing on just those guys. I watched 3 more guys yesterday and this AM:

1. Zach Cunningham LB - I think he's overrated, and I don't like the fit for what we need. If we were looking for a guy to play Shazier's role as weak side ILB, maybe... but definitely not in the 1st round. I watched his S. Carolina, Tennessee and Mizzou games. He's around the ball a lot, and is very often in position to make plays - which is good. However, he misses a LOT of tackles (2 of his whiffs in the Tennessee games resulted in Kamara TDs). He often tries to tackle high by grabbing around the shoulder pads, and this leads to both missed tackles and giving up yards after contact even if he makes the tackle. As a LB he needs to hit people and drive through the ballcarrier, and he only does that about half the time or less. He's way to weak physically to get off of O lineman blocks. He looks very good in coverage for a LB, so there's a big plus. I think he's better in coverage than Shazier even though Shazier has a big advantage in speed. To me that doesn't tilt in his favor enough to take him in the 1st round. I haven't watched his highlight films, and I'm sure they look great. However, looking at all plays in a game show that he's a guy with pretty substantial deficiencies that need to be fixed. So in summary: 1) I think he's overrated overall because he's an inconsistent tackler, and he shows a lack of physical strength that an ILB needs, and 2) even if he could clean up his tackling, we already have a weak side ILB in Shazier, and that's the position that Cunningham would fit for us. I pass on him at #25. He should be drafted by a base 4-3 team to play the WILL. He should be a good player in that role if he can get more consistent as a tackler.

2. Rasul Douglas CB - He's currently #113 in the CBS/NFL Draft Scout prospect rankings. I think this is evidence of how deep this CB class is. If we don't take a corner in the 1st or 2nd rounds, we should strongly consider drafting Douglas in the 3rd (and I wouldn't be bummed out if we took him in the 2nd). He lacks some of the top-end speed and quick twitch that the top corners in this draft have, but that's really the only disadvantage that I see. As long as you don't leave him on an island with a burner or quick route runner (like an AB or OBJ), he should be solid. You just have to be smart with how you use him, and when you make sure that he has help. He tackles. He protects his area in zone, and in the limited looks that I saw in man coverage he stuck with his man as well as the other corners in the draft did (keep in mind, they ALL get beaten from time to time, and he did as well). His ball skills are great, and that's what separates him from a lot of the other comers IMO. I watched all 3 games on draft breakdown. Good player. Good value in the 3rd.

3. Jalen Myrick CB - There only 1 game of him on draft breakdown, and we're so close to the draft that I'm not going to search for more right now. He's ranked #77 by CSB/Draft Scout, and I didn't see that kind of quality in that one game. To me he looks a bit like another Antwan Blake - a straight-line fast guy whose size says he should be playing inside, but may not have the instincts, change in direction ability, or tackling ability/desire to do it well. However, while he has raw speed on the outside to match up with any burner, he can be beaten by size and positioning. I could definitely be wrong because 1 game is not enough of a sample, but I'm not seeing a 3rd round prospect in this deep corner draft. I'd take Kazee, Elder or Jourdan Lewis over him any day as a shorter corner.

7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I seem to catch a lot of Duke games for whatever reason and I've noticed Borders always seemed to have a good game. A lot of the draft sites seem to question his speed but he ran a 4.45 at his pro day. Sure the pro day times can sometimes be skewed but I would definitely like to have him as an UDFA.

I wasn't as keen on Edwards if IIRC, but I probably only keyed on him for one game.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I also think Cunningham is more suited to a 4-3. The ILBs this year that fit our needs are just not prevalent. I don't think we have a chance at Reddick and the next guy that I would like would be Houston's Steven Taylor who could probably be drafted in rnd 5 or so. Are they looking at Javancy Jones as an ILB? He's 6'2" 245 and Vince Williams was 6' 247 when drafted. I haven't found games of his, so I'm not sure where he played primarily. Most I've read have him listed as an edge guy, but that doesn't mean he can't switch if true. Maybe they have eyes on him around the 6-7 range?? They seem to show a lot of interest.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I absolutely agree with this assessment. I've had Wormley as a solid 1st round pick for a while and could never understand why many draft sites had him much lower.

My comparison was also Cam Heyward. I had heard he was always a favorite of coaches and when I heard that repeated at the Combine that solidified his 1st round assessment for me.

In saying all that, I can't see how the Steelers afford using pick #30 with Heyward and Tuitt already on the roster.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they moved edwards to corner. not near as good from there as he was as a safety early in his career. i just think they were light at that spot and he was the one they decided to move there. edwards made a lot of plays from the safety spot. he was a bob sanders type from there. :cool:

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Toledo NT Treyvon Hester will visit the Steelers who were also at his pro day. Along with a grip load of other teams. 6'2 304 31.5 vert and a 40 time in the 4.8s-4.9s. That's motoring for a big man. I am hoping they get some competition for Shade Tree, he needs to sack or be sacked.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't that why we picked up alualu? :cool:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No, not really.

I don't think you bring in a guy and pay him more than your starting Buck just to push your back up NT. He's nearly identical in size to Ricardo Mathews. Alualu can play DT but more importantly he can give rotation to our DEs. McCullers can't do that.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Really wish someone like Dylan Cole got a visit from the Steelers.

Early day three pick as I see it..

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll have to check him out...

I was hoping Marcus Williams came in for a visit...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly why he was brought in, now if MT/defensive coaches could figure out a rotation with our DL we could possibly have (Fresh) DL ready for the playoffs.
    Once again it is beyond our HC to figure this out.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think they have it figured out, the rotation was just limited because Heyward was out the second half of the season. They rotated Tuitt, Walton, and Mathews as much as they could.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I wish the same. However, Marcus to me is a pure centerfielder. Dude has crazy levels of range and is second only to Malik Hooker in the draft for free safeties.

While I would not mind selecting Marcus Williams in the second, my issue is that our safeties not only need to cover but also be physcial. Marcus is not physcial enough to warrant a selection.

Now Josh Jones? That is someone I can get behind if he is still available. Within the same token, unless Keith Butler intends to use Sean Davis like Troy and have him patrol and "float" around the box, then Marcus Williams is the guy. Otherwise, Josh Jones has my vote.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    doesn't warrant a selection...ok in round 1 I will give you that. I guess it depends on what you want. Reliable tackler with plus ball skills, plus range but won't give you the highlight reel hit or more physical, bigger type who may not give you the extensive range. I like Davis as the SS, he's fast, improved his tackling as the year progressed and will only get better at diagnosing plays/routes. My view is to get someone to take over for Mitchell. Having Williams single high seems ideal to me. Steelers probably feel different but I like him in the second all day.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I also would love to have Marcus in the second as well. Having Sean "float" around the line of scrimmage would prove very beneficial. With Sean mainly prioritizing in the box and Marcus patrolling the deep as single high in cover 2, that would give the secondary a boost to increase their blanket in coverage (assuming the pass rush gets to them).

The issue currently is that Steelers safeties have to be versatile in every facet of their game; a jack of all trades if you will. Marcus is a good tackler no doubt but not the safety the Steelers desire I am afraid. They want someone to be in the mold of a "Mike Mitchell". Marcus may not check those boxes for Pittsburgh.

He still would get my vote though.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I like both S Williams and Jones, however the direction the NFL is going I am a little worried about a big hitter like Jones. I think having a S like Williams who has crazy ball skills and is a good tackler is what we need. The days of the big highlight reel hit are gone(thank you NFL) so might as well adapt that way. Imo I have no problem with Williams as our guy and I am a big Jones fan.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    marcus maye is getting a lot of attention by us at safety. i think davis could easily move to fs in mitchells spot. our safeties always could play both free and strong. i don't think that has changed or will. man, i'm just seeing a lot of players being looked at in a more conventional 4-3 look. hmmmm???/:cool:

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Butler and Mitchell rotate the DL.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard that the Steelers only had one RB in for a visit, and that was a local guy in James Conner.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is a pretty cool breakdown of who was where:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/2017-steelers-pro-day-tracker/

Throughout the offseason leading up to the draft, we’ll keep tabs on where thePittsburgh Steelers’ front office and scouts take their Pro Day trips. When it’s relevant, you’ll see this post stickied to the top of the page. We’ll mention what Steeler attended, if it’s known, and who the notable prospects working out that day are.

March 7th

Purdue –WRs Coach Richard Mann

Notable Players – WR DeAngelo Yancey, WR Domonique Young

March 8th

Alabama – GM Kevin Colbert

Notable Players – OLB Tim Williams, OLB Ryan Anderson, S Eddie Jackson, CB Marlon Humphrey

Colorado – Area Scout Mark Bruener, Player Engagement Coordinator Terry Cousins

Notable Players – CB Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Chidobe Awuzie, S Tedric Thompson

Temple – Unknown Personnel Member

Notable Players – LB Haason Reddick, OG Dion Dawkins

Oklahoma – RBs Coach James Saxon

Notable Players – RB Joe Mixon, RB Samaje Perine, WR Dede Westbroook

March 10th

Auburn – HC Mike Tomlin, GM Kevin Colbert, OLB Coach Joey Porter

Notable Players – OLB Carl Lawson, NT Montravius Adams

Northern Illinois – Unknown Personnel Member

Notable Player – WR Kenny Golladay

March 13th

Idaho –Unknown Personnel Member

Notable Players – NT Glen Antoine (met with), TE Buck Cowan, P Austin Rehkow

March 14th

Youngstown State – OLBs coach Joey Porter, Area Scout Dan Colbert, Unknown Scout

Notable Players – OLBs Derek Rivers, OLB Avery Moss

Kansas State – Scout Mike Butler

Notable Players – OLB Jordan Willis, OLB Elijah Lee

March 15

Wisconsin – Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin, Joey Porter

Notable Players – OLBs TJ Watt (met), Vince Biegel (met), RB Corey Clement

March 16

Clemson – Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin

Notable Players – RB Wayne Gallman, TE Jordan Leggett, CB Cordrea Tankersley, DE Carlos Watkins (met), QB Deshaun Watson

March 20

Toledo – TEs coach James Daniel

Notable Players – TE Michael Roberts (met), RB Kareem Hunt

March 21

North Carolina – Kevin Colbert, QB coach Randy Fichtner

Notable Players – RB TJ Logan, RB Elijah Hood, DE Nazair Jones, WR Ryan Switzer, QB Mitch Trubisky

South Florida – James Saxon

Notable Players – RB Marlon Mack, WR Rodney Adams

March 22

Ashland –James Daniel

Notable Player – TE Adam Shaheen

March 23

Missouri – Joey Porter

Notable Players – OLB Charles Harris, CB Aaron Penton

Ohio State – Mike Tomlin

Notable Players – ILB Raekwon McMillian, CB Gareon Conley, CB Marcus Lattimore

Notre Dame – OC Todd Haley

Notable Players – QB DeShone Kizer, DE Isaac Rochell

March 24

Michigan – Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin

Notable Players – CB Jourdan Lewis, S Jabrill Peppers, ILB Ben Gedeon, RB De’Veon Smith, DE Chris Wormley (met), DE/EDGE Taco Charlton (met)

March 28

Florida – Kevin Colbert, ILB Coach Jerry Olsavsky

Notable Players – CB Quincy Wilson, CB Teez Tabor, ILB Alex Anzalone, DL Caleb Brantley, ILB Jarrad Davis, S Marcus Maye (met)

Texas – James Saxon

Notable Players – RB D’Onta Foreman

March 29

Miami (FL) – Kevin Colbert

Notable Players – QB Brad Kaaya (met), CB Corn Elder, S Rayshawn Jenkins, WR Stacey Coley, TE David Njoku (met)

March 30

Louisville – Unknown Personnel Member

Notable Players – OLB Devonte Fields, LB-S Josh Harvey-Clemons

March 31st

Tennessee – Mike Tomlin, Keith Butler

Notable Players – CB/S Cameron Sutton, QB Josh Dobbs, ILB Jalen Reeves-Maybin, DE Derek Barnett

Texas Tech – QB Coach Randy Fichtner

Notable Players – Patrick Mahomes

Indiana – Area Scout Bruce McNorton

Notable Players – OG Dan Feeney

West Virginia – DB Coach Carnell Lake

Notable Players – CB Rasul Douglas, WR Shelton Gibson

April 3rd

Ole Miss – Unknown Personnel Member

Notable Players – NT DJ Jones, QB Chad Kelly

April 5th

LSU – Mike Tomlin, Carnell Lake

Notable Players – CB Tre White, OLB Duke Riley, ILB Kendell Beckwith