1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Prospect Visits

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    thats 2 later round guys we've brought in that i have been high on for quite some time now. heck since the beginning of feb. when i mentioned him to you guys. ebukam and jones. both highly productive. glad to see these two getting looks by us. he's 6-2 240. ran a 4.45 at his pro day 24 reps. could play either inside or out really. 24 sacks in 53 games.

jones has 77 TFL in 44 games. 351 tackles in that time. 19.5 sacks. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    QB Nate Peterman coming in today along with Ebukam

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He is a talented guy, but havent we had enough suspensions over pot, players in college can flunk testing and still play, but not so in the NFL, buyer beware with drafting this guy, very risky:

From scouting report:
    The weird thing about Williams is that he never was really allowed to play a full-time role with the Crimson Tide although continually showing that he was entirely able to do so. The exact details about why Williams was always seemingly in Coach Nick Saban’s proverbial doghouse have never been disclosed, but rumors have speculated that it has something to do with a plant that’s smoked recreationally, despite it being illegal in the United States. I’ll let you put 2 and 2 together.

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No not if we are only talking a 6th or 7th rounder. Risk vs reward...very little risk but a very high reward with this guy. How many years have we cut 4th-5th-6th rounders, imo I am willing to take that risk.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's doubtful that he lasts beyond our 2nd, and may not even make it that far. His burst and first step on tape when rushing the passer are too good. I'm not sure that he will ever do anything else well at the NFL level besides rushing the passer, but he's very good at that one thing.

I'm not saying I want him in the 2nd, but if he can stay clean and get a helmet on game days, he will generate a pass rush (and we need that). We don't get to be privy to the details, and don't get to interview him, so we can only speculate on whether he's now gotten his head screwed on straight.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Funny thing is, I just saw a new mock today on latest nfl news that had us drafting him at 30, how far he will drop out of the 1st round or even if he drops out of the 1st round is arguable but all the way to 4-5 or 6 is not realistic in my view..........

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Focus is definitely on the LB's, pretty good bet thats our first rd pick unless the board really unfolds in an unfavorable way.

9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Wednesday they will be bringing in Jalen Myrick, CB (4.28 40) and Keion Adams, LB, Western Michagan.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we are looking at OLB'ers all over the spectrum. early, middle and late. lots of safeties and corners being looked at too. depends how they fall. :cool:

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure what I was smoking I think I might have gotten my prospects mixed up, for some reason I thought I read where he has slipped down into the 6th or 7th round. :facepalm:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see them taking more that two OLB's, maybe only 1 and 1 ILB.

My money is on OLB, 1st rd.

I hope he slips right off our board.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Vilanova, visiting today. :clap:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Not going to be popular, but Tim Williams is also visiting today.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, if we go DB in the first round, and Williams is available in the 2nd, he might be a good pickup. The guy has an explosive first step and can get after the QB. I think it's good to bring him in and try as well as our front office and coaches possibly can to get a feel for whether he's gotten his head on straight. Is he Josh Gordon or Tyrann Matthieu?

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm: Just what we need another pothead on the team.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I finally had a chance to watch Kpassagnon. His potential as an oversized edge rusher is in the "WOW" zone. I first watched his FCS playoff game against St. Francis. He started slow, but once Villanova took a commanding lead and forced St. Francis into a lot of passing situations, he impacted in a huge way. When he can come off the edge from outside the tackle (or wider) on a pure pass rush, you can see the potential just oozing off of him. The combination of burst and length made it almost impossible for the FCS level tackles to block him 1 on 1 in true passing situations. He had a few sacks in that game, all against offensive linemen (no beating up on TEs or RBs). However, the play that I enjoyed the most came at the 7:50 mark of the draft breakdown tape of the St. Francis game where Kpassagnon was rushing from the RDE position and 3 offensive linemen triple teamed him while one of his teammates sacked the QB from the other side. I guess they'd had enough of him at that point :lolol: I also watched the game vs. South Dakota State where he also played well, but had his right hand wrapped up in a club, which affected his ability to disengage.

I don't know if he's ever going to be the top-tier two-gapping 5 tech that his physical stats suggest he should be. There are signs of that capability, but he'll need a lot of work on keeping his pad level lower and disengaging with his hands. He also looks a bit hesitant to me one downs where there is a legit run/pass option, which may be a product of what he was coated to do at Villanova. To me he doesn't look like the same player when he's holding his ground as he does when attacking off the edge. What I see (in limited watching - only 2 games on DBD) is a guy who can probably be as good a run defender/5 tech as Walton (i.e. adequate), but with the ability to quickly develop into a very disruptive edge rusher on passing downs. I think he's more suited to an every down role in a 4-3, but with us playing a lot of sub packages I can see him fitting in nicely with us as playing ~50% of the snaps, and again, the potential is there for much more if he can learn how to diagnose run/pass better on 1st down and how to play the run at the NFL level.

What's the draft value for us of a guy like that? I'd take him in the 3rd without question. Maybe even the 2nd. There's risk that he never pans out, but the upside potential is pretty huge. A guy like this could help to lessen our need for another 3-4 OLB edge rusher because he can play outside in sub packages opposite Dupree with any 2 player combination of Heyward, Hargrave and Tuitt inside. Usually when you talk about a 290 lb. defender, you talk about playing him on the edge on run downs and moving him inside on passing downs. The tape suggests that you'd do the opposite with him. Just my view based on limited watching.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Per Steelers Depot, Obi is scheduled to visit - no date set yet

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

SteelersDepot alludes to the fact that Pittsburgh is intriguied by long, athletic defensive lineman; Chris Wormley notably. This years top pSPARQ recipient, Chris not only has a good attitude but is a beast at one or two gapping; both of which we use.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If he is there in the third, take him.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I have yet to spend time watching Wormley, but he kept on jumping out at me during the season, and when watching tape of Peppers and Taco. Not sure I'll get around to him by draft day. So many prospects, so little time.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All you need to know is that he is quite reputed as a high level character guy with loads of potential.

To me, what I see on film is a more athletic but a little less polished Cameron Heyward.... and that is saying something. Should be round one but does not stand out as much as Taco... but that was only due to the attention be received at the conclusion of the 2016 CFB Season.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I finally got around to watching some Budda Baker... This guy is GOOD. When I watched his film, the guy that came to mind was Tyrann Matthieu. He has those same instincts, decisiveness and attacking mentality. He's really good covering in the slot, and explodes into the flat on short out passes to limit YAC. Baker is slightly bigger and faster than Matthieu measured at the combine, so people worried about how his size should be comfortable that he's not "too small" for the NFL. He's also the same height and just a few lbs. less than Earl Thomas. IMO he should be solidly in play for Pick #30 if we want to improve our pass defense.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Thursdays visits- Obi, Marlon Humphrey, Ryan Lewis, CB Pitt (doesn't count against the 30) and WRs Mackenzie Hollins and Shelton Gibson.

Add to Wednesday- Rasul Douglas, CB, and Jason Croon, TE, Tenn. Don't try to look up Croon from this year. Apparently he missed 2016 with a knee injury, but put up some highly respectable numbers at his pro day.