1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not out that way often, but next time I am, I'll keep it in mind. (It's a 90 minute drive. Not bad, but kind of need an excuse or reason other than beer. ;)) Thanks.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah, it's an hour drive from my parent's house, but beer

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    After chasing it all week and coming up empty - Especially since hardly any stores within 30 miles of me even had any - my wife comes home today and surprises me with 2 of these:

20170408_164655.jpg

Did I mention how awesome my wife is? :D

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Niiiiiice.

Best enjoyed with a fine cigar in a leather chair sitting by a fireplace. That **** will put hair on your chest.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

KBS is delicious. I might have to chill a bottle or two tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Not sure I need more on my chest. :lolol:

I won't open it for almost 2 weeks. Self imposed Lenten alcohol fast and all. But I can't wait to compare it to Sunday Morning Stout which is absolutely delicious itself. (It was on tap and I caved once. Hehe)

A friend managed to snag an extra bottle for me today too. So I'll drink one. The other 2 are being cellared indefinitely.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm a big fan of Founder's. Love their Breakfast Stout and Porter. Dirty Bastard is fantastic (can't wait to get my hands on Backwoods Bastard). Curmudgeon is almost perfection. I'm not into IPAs, so I can't comment on their offerings there. And they have some Nitro offerings I have yet to come across.

I'm guessing it's due to their success with KBS, Backwoods Bastard and a few one offs I missed. But they're now doing a whole "Barrel Aged" series. A new offering every couple months. Rumor has it, they'll re-release CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout) this winter. But other than Backwoods Bastard coming this fall, their website doesn't name the future offerings, only "TBA."

Until yesterday when they revealed the upcoming barrel Aged release"

http://beerstreetjournal.com/founders-dkml/

Not sure how I feel about this one. If they called it a strong ale as it appears to be classified, I still might hesitate, but my curiosity would win out. But a malt liquor? I suppose if one fell in my lap, I might still try it, but I don't see myself running around in a desperate search for it. Flashbacks to college and cheap 40s trigger a bit of a retch response. :lolol:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Do whatever it takes to get your hands on some Canadian Breakfast Stout. Sell your children if you have to. It puts kbs to shame in my opinion. It's simply fantastic. I've managed to have it twice. Once for the original bottle release and once on tap during the second release. It sells out with a quickness

9. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It's still just a rumor. Probably accurate, but still a rumor until officially announced.

As hard as it has been for me to obtain KBS (I was skunked last year and only got some this year by sheer serendipity), I'm not holding my breath on CBS. Of course, I'd love to get my hands on it. But we'll have to see how much they made this year and how wide the distribution will be. If it's anything similar to KBS this year, maybe I'll have a shot.

Got skunked on Backwoods Bastard last year too. That and BCBS are the next 2 goals.

Edited and by the way, dear autocorrect, never once have I typed "have" and meant "habe" or "hat bee." Lol

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I didn't get any BCBS this year. Didn't even try. Still pissed about the 2015 release issues. If you didn't know they're all infected. I spent close to $300 buying as much bourbon county, bourbon county barleywine, and bourbon county coffee I could and they're crap. Crap is in they taste like sour cherries from the infection. You can still drink it, but why would you? Who wants a bourbon barrel aged coffee stout that tastes like sour cherries? They offered refunds to people, but you had to have the receipt. Who hangs onto a receipt for beer?

For the hard to obtain releases it really helps to develop a relationship with a store owner or manager. I've learned which beers come from which distributors and which days they get delivered to my preferred store. So I just show up when they open at 7am and usually it's just being pulled off the truck.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard about the infection with the Bourbon County Brand. I read that they're pasteurizing now to prevent it. Not sure how that'll affect the flavor though.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Today there's press releases coming from Founder's saying the third Barrel Aged beer coming in May will be Doom.

I guess the whole thing about DKML was either a joke or a hoax? :shrug:

(edit: never mind. I can't read apparently. 2 different releases. 2 different months.)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Cracked open a Dragon's Milk tonight. Compared to Sunday Morning Stout, it was a bit of a letdown. Not bad at all, mind you. It was quite good. But it was nothing spectacular either.

I barely registered any Bourbon on the nose. And tasted nothing to tell me it was bourbon barrel aged. Nice, balanced flavor overall, but if you didn't tell me it was bourbon barrel aged, I would have never guessed. No bourbon. No oak. Not even that boozy. Very rich with coffee and vanilla though (and a slight hint of brown sugar). And for the price, I can't really complain.

I still haven't opened a KBS yet. That'll be tomorrow night / tonight (Thursday). I'm salivating already.

Speaking of Sunday Morning Stout, I snagged its descendant today: http://www.weyerbacher.com/beers/special-release/finally-legal/

Looking forward to trying this one out as well. As an aside, I also realized today that I'm officially a dirty old man. My first thought was that the name referred to a girl who was, well... you know. It never occurred to me that Weyerbacher was celebrating it's 21st anniversary and the name was the joke about 21 being legal to drink. :facepalm::blush::sorry:

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Dude...

Not sure which impressed me more. The KBS, which was nearly a religious experience. Or the bourbon, which, especially for the money, was insanely good. (Larceny)

KBS.jpg

The KBS was rich in chocolate, coffeee, and a good hint of bourbon (maybe a touch of vanilla). The Larceny was... dude...

• Like Like x 1
  15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I wasn't all that impressed with Dragon's Milk when I had it.
    I think I just drooled. I stared at that picture and wished you were my next door neighbor. When I go towards the white light, I want that to be the first thing I see on the other side.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't be so sure about that. We went from having a nice little drink or 2, to way overdoing it. Hangover city today.

I'm in desperate need of bacon and eggs, and a pot or 3 of strong coffee.

Tried a few other beers last night. The Einstock Wee Heavy was very, very good. Had a Coffee Oatmeal Stout from Thomas Creek. Not bad.

And a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (Barleywine). No. Maybe my taste buds were shot by then, but no. Too raw. Too wild. Into the cellar it goes. Will try again in a year. :)

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't get them very often unless I really overindulge. I'll bring the advil, prickly-pear, and coconut water. It sounds like hippie ****, but it works wonders. :D

Many of the Barleywines I've had are that way. Scratches an itch I didn't know I had sometimes, though.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Tried my first ever Hefeweizen tonight. How did I miss this style? And how the hell do they get these flavors out of simple wheat, malt and hops? Banana, grapefruit, apricot and pear?!?! This is definitely a great summer time beer. And the heads just don't quit! Not sure what voodoo the Germans used here, but it works (I'm sure it's the yeast).

Recently also had my first ever Quad. That isn't beer. It's some kind of dessert drink. Rich and sweet (and a mule kick strong). Figs, raisins, plums, sugar(?) I started hearing dance of the sugar Plum Fairy in my head while drinking it. Very good, but a special occasion kind of drink.

Out of all of the new beers and styles I've tried over the past month or 2, I think my new favorite for when I'm having several beers is a Dopplebock. Specifically, Troeg's Troegenator. Goes great with almost any meal. Rich, smooth, nice and malty, and strong enough to let you know you've had a few. ;)

Troeg's.jpg

Don't worry though. Guinness is still my home. :D

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    A lot of posts on the bourbon barrel aged beers. But if you like wine, Cooper and Thief have a great bourbon barrel aged red blend.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just had my first ever World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head...
    How will I ever go back to even above average beer now? HOW?!?!?! :roflmao:

But seriously, that isn't beer. I know it's technically beer. It's made like beer, uses beer's ingredients, etc. But it's a whole different beast. Absolutely delicious, and VERY strong. But to lump that into a category with lesser mortals like, well, most other beer, feels like an insult to it. If I had never had a barley wine, I'd think that's what this was, because it reminds me of a fortified wine. But it's oh so much better.

BRB, licking the glass....

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    IIRC, longtime poster (now vanished) Scottchab used to have Dogfish Head as his avatar.

Im going to have to finally try it.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

It's very good, but it's 19%-20% abv. Same thing with their 120 minute ale. The alcohol content is just way too high.

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I can't speak for their 120 Minute IPA as I detest IPAs. But the alcohol is very well masked (to me anyway) with their World Wide Stout. Yes, it's obviously there, but not in a distracting way.

But it also isn't a beer you drink a few of. You drink one and enjoy it. ;) Too expensive to drink often also. Special occasion type thing.

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I don't know about you, but abv that high gets me into trouble. I have one and start feeling good and that leads to having something else. And something else. Before I know it judgment has been thrown out the window and the mason jar comes out. Then the alarm is going off and the realization I'm not 20 something anymorehits hard.

25. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We've all been there, Strummer. But thankfully, that's not usually the case for me. If I get out of control, I meant to. Or I can enjoy 1 or 2 and be happy.

Edited to add: Just found out a friend scored some one of Avery' s The Nuttiest Professor for me. Should be interesting. (Bourbon barrel aged chocolate peanut butter stout)