1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben via twitter back for 14th season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by stangboy06, Apr 7, 2017.

1. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All we got to do now is beat the cheats

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He's only playing via Twitter? Could be interesting... :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Was anyone actually believing that Ben really wouldn't come back?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is playing through twitter the same as mailing it in?

5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

There were a few since.........he mailed it in last year! :icon bs:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He's a quitter, doesn't play hard :lolol:

I think everyone figured he'd be back but I don't know why it was out of the realm of possibility for some.

If the reason was physical, like his knee or maybe he's afraid of more concussions, then money wouldn't bring him back.

We'll be lucky if he finishes out his contract. I think he's in the last 2 years and wouldn't shock me if he walks away at the end of this one.

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I knew Ben would be back for at least one more season.

It would be nice if he had the same fire and passion he had 10 years ago. He's a better overall QB now, but he's lost the Super Bowl-winning mojo, IMO. I hope he proves me wrong.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It very well could be his knee,shoulder, or concussion related to why he was thinking of not coming back ...He might be more ready to sit out faster now if he get's banged up ...We as fans might not like it but once he cashes the check he can play or not play and that 14 Mil is in the bank...

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This is just my opinion, I don't know how much of this is true is any. I think there is a problem with Ben-Haley & Tomlin. From day one Ben didn't like Haley's offense which I get since Ben was so close with Arians. I think this year with so many injuries and suspensions Ben had a hard time with this offense. Just recently I read Ben wants offense in the draft this year. Now I am not throwing blame anywhere, I have stuck up for Ben MANY times on here. I also love the offense Haley runs so I am not gonna kill him either, yes there are times the play calling is bad but so what. As far a Tomlin goes his record speaks for itself, the fact we have never had a losing season under him is big.

Now I will say one last thing Ben is the toughest SOB in the NFL right now. How does Ben go from being hurt and still play when most guys would be on IR to wanting to retire due to health? I am not saying it can't happen but I am finding it hard to believe Ben went from a player who you couldn't keep off the field to a player who is thinking about retirement in a snap of the fingers? Ben has been and always will be a gamer and IMO I feel this is about him putting pressure on the team/coaches about the draft and maybe play calling. JMO

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Winning cures everything, so when they are doing well, the Haley/Ben relationship is fine (I'll never say good) but when they struggle, that friction is going to bubble to the surface.

The retirement talk isn't sudden, its just the first we've heard of it. Tomlin said he and Ben have had the discussion on several occasions, as far back as the end of the previous season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Which this tells me it wasn't serious, you know as well as I do not much stays a secret in the NFL or any other sport. You know the old saying where there is smoke there is fire, I think we all talk more about it than anyone else. jmo. Either way this is his 14th season we have to start thinking about it from here on out.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/joe-greene-pittsburgh-needs-someone-epitomizes-steelers/

i think how joe feels has a lot to do with this retirement talk by ben NY. it's not just about the competitor in ben but the players and team mates around him. the locker room has changed around ben. the age is creeping up and he doesn't rebound as quickly. the deva's are becoming more prevalent around him from what he got used to with our last championship run team. a lot has changed around ben including his life outside of football. i think these are the reasons the end is near, not just what happens between he and the coaches or his love of competing. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Mac's post is on spot. Let me add:

They got to the Championship game. Of course they didn't get to the Super Bowl, but, this is the first time Ben has gone public with retirement talk. I feel the pounding, the lack of disipline with some players, the relationship with Haley which I feel was always sour, the play calling and his wife and kids are a tell tale sign that this might be his last ride. Load up and go for broke. That's why they are actively looking at more then a few QB's in this years draft. Look, I think Ben is the ultimate gamer but to me their was something different about him this past season. I hope he comes to camp till the Super Bowl loaded for bear and carries home the Lombardi and a Super Bowl MVP, which he should have gotten already but his name isn't Brady or Manning...