1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2017 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 8, 2017.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Taking a safety in the second round is what throws the plans out of whack somewhat. Ideally, the Steelers need to go first round edge/cornerback; second round the position they did not take in the first round, then with 3a and 3b a wide receiver and best player available. I am not saying Jones is not a bad pick, but he does not fit our greater needs.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hear what you're saying, and to be honest had I watched more film on Quincy Wilson prior to our 2nd round pick, I may have voted for him instead of Jones because if value. But I don't think an outside corner is as much of a priority as some. I think Burns showed signs of being a guy who will evolve into a very good corner, and Cockrell is a very solid, underrated and under appreciated player. If you look back at the debacle in Foxborough, it was every one else in coverage who got abused the most - especially slot corner (Gay), 3rd safety (Golden) and all of the LBs who dropped into coverage. I'm looking at Jones as an immediate "big nickel" substitution when Vince Williams comes off the field on passing downs and Jourdan Lewis as a plug-and-play slot upgrade over an aging, slowing Willie Gay. I don't think an outside corner helps us any more than what we picked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would place a higher need on slot corner over outside as well. I think we can all agree an OLB and CB should be within the first 3 rounds. And with the talent at S in the top two rounds of this draft, I really love that #62 pick at S if one is not taken in the first. The scenario stated above by Elvis is the way to go imo. Bring that S in to aid/replace our LBers and groom him for taking Mitchell's spot in 2018.

My only concern is that if we don't take an OLB in the first, I am not thrilled with the options for who is expected to be available in the second. And then the talent just keeps dropping from there.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin said they want to mix in more man but don't have the personnel atm, that's why I'm looking at another outside corner like Burns.

Kevin King I think would be an awesome pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm moving this weekend unfortunately so if I have internet at the new place in time, I can do it again. I think we did that about a week before right? So maybe around the 20th if that sounds good to everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so we are a few picks away and there are tons of options. I really like kareem Hunt he runs like Bell but not nearly as fast. I feel this is a guy that if needed to step in for whatever reason for Bell we would still be able to run a similar if not the same offense:

Big back with plus vision and enough elusiveness to make the first defender miss. Feel for the rushing lane helps him choose the correct path between the tackles but lacks the burst to turn the 4-yard run into 14. Zone-scheme runner with serviceable hands out of the backfield. Adequate in most areas and has talent to become a backup that can step in and handle a bigger load if needed.Hunt finished his Toledo career on a high note, garnering first-team All-MAC honors for the second time, rushing for 1,475 yards and ten touchdowns while also racking up 41 catches for 403 yards and a score

Also some others to consider:

TE - Butt, Hodges, Everett & Leggett
    OLB - Phillips, Wise, Dimick, Hall(DE?) & Carrway
    ILB - Riley

Any thoughts of an Olineman here, some good value out there right now.

Who does everyone else like, I would like options before I vote.

7. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013

TE - Butt
    OLB - Phillips
    ILB - Beckwith

Out of those 3 I would take Butt. I know he's coming of surgery but he was definitely a more well rounded TE compared to the others. Thinking a less athletic Tyler Eifert.

8. centralpa007

centralpa007 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Couple I am considering is Butt, Antony Walker ILB Northwestern, Peterman QB - Pitt, Mico Siragus OL SDSU or Sammie Perine RB Oklahoma.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Beckwith has me nervous cause of the ACl

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I know when I was making the Titans pick it did not seem like alot of great options. I think we GMs did too well and picked all the talent clean. :lolol:

Couple of decent TEs to choose from. Maybe a WR or RB.

I think DL represents the best value, but is it that big of a need here in round 3?

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

There is a ton of RB's still out there, Hunt, Perine, McNichols, Clement, Pumphrey, Daves, and Henderson and it feels like all of use like a different one so I am fine not drafting one here.

I feel the same way as far as TE, Everrett, Hadges, Butt, Leggett, Kittle, Saurbet & Sprinkle.

I would love Phillips here but is it to early for a double dip at OLB? ILB Riley and Walker are nice but I am not sure I want to go ILB now.

DT is loaded on the board right now and with us signing Alualu we really don't have a need for one.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm going to hold off for a few more picks as at least one of them will get taken before the Steelers pick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, lets not rush into voting this time.

I love Jake Butt, and was even advocating for him but if the thinking is the Steelers want a seem guy to replace Green, then Butts not really that guy. Everett more fits that roll, whom I also like. With the emergence of James, who is more in the mold of what Butt brings, they'll be targeting the more athletic type of TE's.

Don't think we should be looking at defense here except maybe ILB but I dont see any way they would ever take 4 defensive positions before addressing the offense.

I think we should probably focus on TE, RB or WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think there is a ton of talent still there, I don't want to throw to many names out there as I am picking for 3 other teams and like these guys.

OLB imo is still has a few nice options, WR is loaded, TE has a few good ones left and like you mention DT has a lot of good ones as well.

One name that I can't believe is still out there is Lorenzo Jerome S who is a ball hawk from a small school and had a good showing at both the NFLPA game as well as at the Senior Bowl.

15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with all this very good point about Butt and Everett. I think for me it is going to come down to Everett and Hunt, I really like Hunt a ton but also think getting a player in the mold of Green to fill the what if role is good as well.

16. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I could see Jake Butt or possibly best available WR at this spot. Right now we have AB, a promise from MB, and a bunch of dropsies

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Personally I think Samaje Perine is a great option here and fills a need as well. Physical runner for short yardage/red zone and if he loses some weight like Bell did, maybe that will add to his game.

TE Gerald Everett is another one. I took Jake Butt off my mock because the Steelers haven't shown any interest. Still more visits to go but with the medicals, I thought they'd at least interview him to see the progress. Anyway I think they are looking for insurance for Green more than anything else like others have stated.

For WRs, Josh Reynolds and Jehu Chesson check all the boxes the Steelers look for. Reynolds is more highly rated on draft boards and I've watched two games. On the thin side but his vertical game is legit and may come in to replace Coates if his fingers still look like something from an OSHA video.

I'm going to vote for Samaje Perine.

I like Everett but the kid from Drake, Saubert I think, looked great in drills and could be a nice sleeper later on. Fall back option is Pitt's Orndoff who they have visited a couple times.

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I like Perrine, but believe that a more than adequate rb will be available in rounds 4 or 5. My vote goes for Everett, because we saw what happened when we had a TE/Receiver on the field for, what, 2 games last year, and danged it looked good. I believe we need insurance for Green first on Offense (actually, I think we need a Ben replacement, but the only ones I would select for that position were gone in the first 15 picks.)

19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I definitely like perine with this pick.... consider my vote locked in

20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am going back and forth between the need of a wide receiver, running back, and tight end. Which position gives the most value for the Steelers? It looks like there will still be some good running backs available in the 4th round and the same with wide receiver. South Alabama TE Gerald Everett is the highest graded player remaining according to NFL.com's draft board, but I am concerned about the competition he played in college. He seems to be a combine riser. I like Amara Darboh, wide receiver from Michigan, but there are other receives that are on the board with a similar grade. I am definitely against taking a running back, so I would vote NO on Perine and see if he falls one more round. I am leaning Everett, but will see if some of you can convince me to go a different direction.

21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm really torn on which direction to vote here. Perine is one of my finalists but not ready to vote yet. I'm guessing voting won't be final till tomorrow morning?

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I am sorry I don't want Perine not cause he is a bad runner but mainly because I want a guy with the same skill set as Bell. Yes my man is Kareem Hunt but he isn't the only one McNichols and McGuire are a couple others.

Perine is a power runner with very little "juke" ability, he isn't slow but he isn't a burner either. If anyone feels the way I do where they want a guy with the same skill set as Bell then this is not the guy to go after. If you all want a different kind of runner then yes this is our guy, I do not want that. jmo

If we want to go RB here then I am pulling for Hunt who had 1,475 yards with 10 touchdowns. He also made 41 receptions for 403 yards and a touchdown. Hunt was excellent at the Senior Bowl, using his speed to slash through the defense. He was very impressive as a receiver out of the backfield. Hunt may not have the size to be an every-down back in the NFL, but he could be a dangerous weapon as a complementary back and be an asset in passing situations.

I kinda feel right here we should go TE Everett but I am open to see what everyone has to say before I vote.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm going to throw my hat in for Everett. Green won't make it through the season but hopefully he gets halfway there and maybe Everett wil be ready by then. We saw the difference that Green made when in there last season, Everett can give you that.

My vote: Everett

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    What time are we calling it?

25. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Anthony Walker..... Cannot pass on a 2nd rd talent at the end of the 3rd AND for a position of need!!!!!!

Cajun