1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drafting a QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Mar 31, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Must say I'm highly surprised that as many people here think we should go QB early this year.

Ben is 35 and is still a top 10 QB. I know father time is catching up to him and he has suffered more injuries than the average QB.

Still, I am not convinced we should go QB in Round 1 until 2019. I'm hoping Ben can atleast play until the end of the 2019. That will give our future QB one full season on the bench to learn. Who knows maybe Ben even signs a 1 year deal in 2020 depending where the team is.

I'm just in the camp that thinks WR need to go all out the next 2 years to try to win another SB. Even after that we wI'll still have a relatively young and talented roster to push forward with.

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm not for taking one in the first, but I do believe that if a guy like Davis Webb is there in the 3rd round, he has talent enough that sitting behind Ben would be good for him.

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they touch any QB in this draft, I just don't see the pressing need. They'll wait until next year, give Ben one year to groom him and retire. Much to the dismay of may, LJ is under contract for 2 more years, I just don't see them touching a QB this draft with so many other immediate needs.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would rather forego drafting a qb and sell out to win a ring.

I'd be perfectly fine not drafting a franchise qb until Ben is already gone.

Let's face it, Steelers most likely will need a really bad season to get a chance to draft a top tier QB.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we do draft one early we better be drafting Ben's replacement and we better be very confident he will be just that.....if not we should be looking to the draft to surround him with the best options to win now...

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I just don't know how Ben would be if a guy meant to replace him was drafted while he was still there.

On the one hand, I could see him mentoring the new guy and setting him up in his image.

On the other hand, I could see him falling out with management about it and retiring earlier than he needs to.

I think there are needs beyond QB for the first 2 rounds. Beyond that, if someone falls to us then so be it. But like you, I would be tooling up for the grand SB victory. That way, when we do get a new QB, they'll be walking into a solid team around them, at least for a few seasons.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    [

I am also all in on winning now. However, starting in the 3rd I wouldn't be ticked if we took a QB that our front office thought could develop into "the" guy with 2-3 years learning behind Ben. Given that we will probably never be drafting in the top 10 with Ben, it may take a few tries to find the right guy for future development.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the only trouble with the wait 2-3 years is all the players around ben now will be ready to go or on the down slide by then. at least on their way towards that. (bell-green-mitchell- pouncey- foster-gilbert- brown- cam-DHB) a lot of core offensive guys. this is bens 14th season. i think it just depends on who falls where in this one or the next draft. much depends on what the team does this year on the field and if ben gets any more injuries this year. we do have met to see what we have in a guy with quite a few starts with a lot of talent around him. i think we have to at least see what they can do with him. our backup is pretty safe with LJ one way or another in that role. not as a future starter but as a continued safe back up. :cool:

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    All they can learn is the playbook and get practice reps, a rook QB here wont see any game action other than splitting play time in pre season and wont dress for any games in the regular season and most likely will be on the practice squad unless he gets drafted in the 1st or 2nd round which isnt going to happen in this draft our time is now while the clock is ticking for Ben, draft for defense and a couple spots on offense other than QB, they can draft a QB late 6-7 round for camp fodder if they want, but 2018 is the time to think about that QB for the future....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  10. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    100%

11. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I understand both sides. I just don't want a situation where we HAVE to draft a guy to play that year, or be stuck with St. Pierre...excuse me...Jones as the starter. Cause that's just a wasted year of our lives.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mahomes is in the Steel City right now meeting with the Steelers.
    With Romo going into the booth, I don't see Mahomes slipping past the Houston Texans.

13. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014

If you look at this draft from a Browns view... We are really drafting in the 2nd and 3rd round at 30 and 62...
    So Webb = Ben II could be a pick at 1-30

If not Webb then Peterman or Kaaya in the Third.

We are drafting a QB.. Ben told them something and it is a secret.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't think Mahomes is the right guy for a team that can use a day 1 starter. I think there's general agreement among the draft "experts" that he is a high upside guy for future development, but nowhere near ready right now to play in the NFL. That's what I see when watching him as well.

If these same "experts" are right, the Texans should be pushing hard to land Kizer. I don't see him as being ready, but haven't watched any film on him. I'm just going by watching games on Saturdays. The experts think he's the most pro-ready day 1.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah Ben is a gunslinger like Favre, and I'm sure he wouldn't like his replacement on the roster anymore than Favre did with Rodgers.

16. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    if he told the FO he is retiring early then he should be fine with a gunslinger like Webb or Kaaya

17. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Dane Evans or Kyle Sloter. This is not a good qb class, so think outside the box. I really like Sloter.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who?

19. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Patrick Towles from Boston College.. Could be a cheap Bradshaw...

20. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Not much of a resume, good size 6-5 250 had 12 TDs 7 picks last year, can run the ball had 294 yards rushing in 2016, most likely will go undrafted a very long term project IMO....

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    mine would be trubisky, mahomes, peterman, webb, kizer. probably in that order. kaaya has just never taken that next step to me. as a big U fan for many years i waited and waited and it just never happened. talent to do it but something with him is just missing. i think mahomes has that warrior mentality that ben had. :cool:

22. Diamond

May 26, 2012

Big question marks for all these QBs, wait till next year to draft one, load the defense this year....

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the same questions could be glaring next year too. we could also have less time to fix whats wrong with them. tough call. :cool:

24. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    sitting behind somebody and learning for a couple years went out with two a day practices
    there just aren't enough available reps for a guy who is not going to play
    more than a year on the bench is going to be regression not progression

25. Diamond

May 26, 2012

I'm not convinced LJ couldnt become the starter, I remember in a similar situation Maddox became the starter by default, LJ could improve a lot getting the playing time week by week, dont count him out as the next starter, he will be the most ready when ben does retire, it's not like we dont have a replacement for ben, just need to let him play a few games to find out.....OK, start screaming at me now..:hmm: