1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drafting a QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Mar 31, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    So it's looking like this could be the year that we make a bigger investment in a QB through the draft. Under the presumption that we use a pick in rounds 1, 2, or 3. It's an interesting QB class, this is one of those years without a clear cut top of the draft QB. It will make it very interesting to see how the 1st round/2nd round shakes out. Here are my QB rankings. What are your thoughts?

#1 Deshone Kizer (1st round) - It seems he is far from a consensus #1 QB, so that means he could be available at #30? I don't have any idea why he might be on the board, because IMO he's the most developed and pro ready QB in the draft. He doesn't have the big game upside of Watson as an athlete. And he doesn't have the cannon arm that Trubisky has. But he's a pro offense, pro arm, pro head QB. If for some reason... he dropped to us... we'd have to take him. It's not ideal, because he's a guy you can start right away, and if he had to sit for a few years it would probably hurt overall.

#2 Mitch Trubisky (1st round) - Trubisky is like Blake Bortles. And that's a good and bad thing. He's got so much talent, but he sure hasn't put it all together yet. He's a guy that if he goes to a good team, that's got talent in place to compete... i think he's going to do very well. Kansas City, Houston, teams like that will be dying to trade up for him if he doesn't go top 10. If he goes to Cleveland, and they throw him right in the fire, he'll get Bortle'd. I'd take him at 30, no question.

#3. Deshaun Watson (1st round-2nd round) - It's such a huge risk to take this type of QB. Are you a guy with a Vince Young floor and a Tyrod Taylor ceiling? or something more? Would you take the risk with the 30th pick? I'm not sure. I just don't see his passing game being something that can carry a franchise. That doesn't mean you can't win with an ultra talented player like Watson. He's just not the right QB for this offense.

#4 Patrick Mahomes (2nd round) - Texas Tech is kind of a joke offense. And Mahomes has the kind of big arm that wows in a workout. But good lord his tape sucks when you break it down. He's never under center and his footwork is among the worst i've seen. His mechanics... if you can even call it that... are inconsistent. He is the definition of schoolyard QB.... he's a freewheeling playmaker, at a program that loves him for it.... All of these things are coachable, but this is a project QB and he's getting discussed as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Bizarre. Make no mistake Mahomes has the raw material to be a franchise QB. But that is going to require significant years of development (maybe while sitting behind freewheeling HOFer?). If I knew Ben was going to play at least 2 more years, then Mahomes could be the right move.

#5. Davis Webb (2nd round-3rd round)- His throws are picturesque. Top notch mechanics, strong arm, good accuracy. Webb is the guy that I'd go after. He's Low Risk given his natural throwing ability, and he's high potential given his intangibles and drive. You can tell he's a football junkie (Dad's a coach). He took control of the Cal offense the minute he arrived. I have no idea how Jared Goff in the same offense becomes a #1 overall pick and Davis Webb is being talked about as a mid rounder. Ironically, Mahomes took his job at Texas Tech. He has the same knock that Mahomes has in terms of being a college spread QB, but where Mahomes ceiling comes from raw talent. Webb's ceiling comes from a combination of more developed talent and football IQ. Davis Webb could be the long term answer at QB. If there is serious thought in the front office that this could be Ben's last year, I'd take Webb.

#6 Brad Kaaya (3rd round) - I really really like Kaaya. But I also see his ceiling. He's a total Andy Reid QB. He could develop into a mid tier starting QB, but you're gonna need a hell of a team around him (like say one of the best olines and running games in the league? hmmmm). He's probably more of a bridge QB. Someone that could possibly bridge the gap between a Ben retirement and the next actual franchise QB

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin was asked about this the other day and he acted like it was something that has been discussed but I'd still be pretty surprised if we did it this year. One thing that I've always sorta worried about is trying to find Ben's replacement because if they thought Landry could have been a potential replacement then it worries me. It would actually be awesome though if we could get a good qb for a bargain in this draft that could do the old school thing of sitting behind the starter and learning. I'm totally not opposed to them drafting one.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Davis Webb has also been my guy; before even the conclusion of the 2016 NFL Season in fact. Best guy I also believe to be Ben's heir apparent.

Ben's clock approaches to midnight with each progressing second of every minute of every hour of each passing day. To ensure that Davis or whomever is Ben's heir apparent is transitions as smoothly as possible, Pittsburgh will do what they always have done since the merger. These two steps are as follows:

1.) Have a strong rushing attack. From Franco Harris to "The Bus" and now Le'Veon Bell, each quarterback the Steelers have had some form of solid to exceptional running backs. Ben's heir is going to need one himself to ensure the pressure is not going to be always on him but yet remind him that there arw capable teammates that you have that will assist if given the oppurtunity.

Most importantly?

2.) Have a tier one defense. Much like one, Pittsburgh has fielded some superb defenses since 1970; more good than bad without question. The defense helped Ben during the early stages of his career (it will be called upon to do so again to end it as well) and now it is time for a new generation of smashmouth Steelers defense to take flight yet again. Given the defensive rebuild is nearing completion, one more good pass rusher and one more solid defensive back are all that remain. Depth will be able to flesh itself out soon there after.

Whomever "our guy" is, he will have similar perks as Ben once did when he entered in 2004 and Bradshaw did in 1970. Yes, even after those two points, it is going to still take some time. However, I do trust the process at which the Steelers conduct their business and there is no reason for me to doubt them on this one either.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with all that was posted above...

I have been wondering for at least the last two years, how much longer Ben has, and when we should draft his replacement.

I`m convinced Landry Jones ain`t it, but I can understand why they thought he was a good pick to groom, and the right time to do it...

Now, I am convinced that Ben will be gone 2 seasons from now, if not less...

This is why GM`s make their money...

There are no easy solutions...

This year`s class has a couple options to "groom"...

I don`t think ANY of them are worth picking when a DB/athlete like Jabril Peppers, or better might be available at that pick, and like you said,

the next QB is gonna need a dominant D, and a strong rb/wr group around him, to help him develop...

We`ve been doing it that way for decades...

The only way you "Luck" into a top pick, is to suck for at least one season, and hope that year`s "2nd or 3d best" qb prospect falls into your lap, and you gamble on him...

I`m thinking Ben, and Dak Prescott here...(Yeah big difference from 1st round to 3rd, but Ben was the 3rd Qb that year, if I remember right)..
    I HATE the Cryboys, but I gotta admit they hit a homerun with Prescott, and Zeke, last year, after they already had an awesome O-Line built up...

When Ben was drafted, I always said, we have a great team, we just need a QB...

We are in pretty much the same spot now, when Ben leaves...

We need better than Landry Jones(God, his name even reeks of ex-Cowboy`s :facepalm:)

Anyhow, I don`t think we should spend our pick at#30 on a qb THIS year...

If any of the guys you have ranked number 4 thru 6 are available with our second pick, it couldn`t hurt to take a chance on them(I`m not familiar with any of them, just going on your scouting report)...

Not even sure where our second pick in the draft is...

I`m just sayin, I wouldn`t reach for Ben`s replacement outta this year`s class of qb`s...

Everything I`ve read has said next years` class of qb`s is waaay better than this year`s, and if we suck as bad as some people think we will, we could pick one up around #15...

Personally, I think we are gonna win the Superbowl, so it`s gonna make it even harder to get a good QB in the draft...

But those are the problems you deal with, when you have success in the league..

Parity`s a *****...LOL:goofy:

When Ben retires, we are gonna have a really bad year, and with any Irish Luck, there will be a good QB available, to plug into a pretty good team around him...

That`s the best I can come up with...
    GO STEELERS:herewego!:

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I really believe the Heath Miller retirement affected Ben even more than we realize. I had lunch with a guy from Heath's hometown today that attended a recent event at Liberty University where Ben was invited to speak. He said Ben waxed sentimental when talking about Heath and said that he was by far the best teammate that he'd ever had. He said he really missed having Heath around and it's just not the same without him in the huddle.

Somebody mentioned above that Ben's physical game may go before his mental game. But I believe his mental game began its journey out the door when Heath retired. He was such a security blanket and calming influence on Ben, on and off the field. Landry Jones is the bridge and it's time to be looking for Ben's replacement. His time may be shorter than we think.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like webb but my only concern is him being a statue in the pocket. he will have to get some pocket presence to survive in this league. haley may not be here to run the offense that has prolonged ben finally. should have been done a few years before if you ask me. i'm also not ruling peterman out as an option if he has time. that we don't know. landry is and will remain a good second qb for us i believe. thats what he was brought here to be and if we happened to get more from him by the time ben retired then great. mahomes is a lot like a young ben with the school yard approach to playing qb but we like size and that rules out he and peterman i'm afraid. dobbs is smart. bethard is qb smart too also a football brat. this will be interesting to watch. :cool:

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Deshaun Watson falls to an acceptable range we have to get him.
    He plays his best ball under the brightest of lights.He will succeed
    with our roster. He will not succeed with the Jets/Bills/Browns crappy teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm wondering what kind of factor height plays into the equation. Of the recent QBs on the roster, Dennis Dixon has been the shortest at 6'3. Charlie Batch was 6'2 but he was not looked at as a starter and had proven NFL experience. Different from when you are looking at a rookie prospect.

Mahomes, Watson, Peterman and Trubisky are 6'2. Fichtner was at Texas Tech and UNC pro days so they may not have an issue with height. Then again Mahomes' footwork would need the most work and Trubisky has only one year of film so they may need additional attention when evaluating.

Whoever is selected and who was available may give a glimpse into what they like best just from a height perspective. I would still think Webb is the favorite and unfortunately I don't think he lasts until our pick in the third so the Steelers may use their 2nd rounder on him and that would mean passing on a TON of great prospects who could help now. Personally, I would be OK if they got him with one of their 3rds but if he is not there, I'm perfectly fine with getting Peterman in the 5th and have him as the bridge QB if Ben calls it quits after next year.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    of the 6-2 bunch peterman has about a 1/2" on mahomes and trubisky. i know not much but he's the one closest to 6-3. if it wasn't for size i'd have to put zach terrell in the hunt. he's 6-1 1/4 but has lots of good film. probably could be had as an UDFA and why not. mettenberger still will be here too to bridge the gap. another guy that we don't know about playing with the talent we have here. i'm not ruling him out yet and could get us to next year and maybe beyond. it's not like there is a ton next year if we are not in the right position. people have to remember it's going to be quite different and give whomever time. :cool:

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Watson is going to be the best Pro...I would target him..

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just curious about what you mean by targeting him. Are you saying that you think we should trade up, maybe WAY up, to get him? In our message board mock draft, I took him at #4 overall for Jacksonville. He probably won't go that high in reality, but I'd be really, really surprised if he makes it out of the top 15-20 picks.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd snatch trubisky at 30 from the brownies if he's there. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    That depends on which team drafts him, the 3 teams in the running for him are the browns, niners and jets, none of those 3 teams can surround him with top players for him to succeed, if the niners and jets pass on him the browns will take him with their 12 pick, the best chance for him to succeed would be with the cardinals at 13 where he could sit behind palmer for a year and learn the cerebral part of the pro game, and when he does start he will have a top 3 running back and a squad of solid receivers to give him support along with a solid oline returning from injuries, his best bet to be a solid pro is with the cards if he goes to one of the other 3 teams he will struggle mightily and may lose his confidence and end up a bust....

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he slips pout of the top 20 and he might it depends on how Teams have their big boards set ..Anything after 20 I think we should go get him..I don't think we can afford to go way up and get him...

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very possible a poor Team can destroy any player esp a QB...

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no way. :cool:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Webb is there in the third round then I would be okay with drafting him.

20. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    With Watson it's less about the talent around him, than it is about the system the team will run with him. Arians system would be absolutely terrible for him. It's a complex, combination route, vertical/air coryell offense. I can't think of a worse system for Watson.

A perfect fit for Watson would've been if Kelly stayed in San Fran.

21. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think here is the reality about drafting any QB. It isn't ONLY about the skill set. There have been plenty of guys who have big arms, size, athletic ability, but just don't have the brains to play the position. You can look at all 6 of the guys listed above and see physical skills. Some have better arms, some have more athletic ability, but choosing one comes down to the brain. Mahomes may have all the talent in the world, but if he can't read a defense or run a play from under center it won't matter. Interviews are more important here than the tape IMO. You put him in a film room with the coach, you have him talk through what he is seeing about how Ben runs a play. You show him good plays, you show him bad plays, but you let me tell you what he is seeing. Why did Ben make the right read? Why was it the wrong read? What options did Ben have? You talk through things and figure out whether his physical matches him mental.

After all of that you still have to look through demeanor. Can they take the pressure? Are they more Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning?

This is a tough decision, but I honestly look at the class and think simply because people are going to try to wait for next year's class that you may get someone to drop into the 2nd or 3rd round that you otherwise wouldn't. Patience may make them miss. For my part, I truly believe the team is targeting the 2nd or 3rd round. With the additional draft pick in the 3rd, I think they believe the talent will be there to draft at that point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

I've said for two years now, that virtual simulations would be a great tool in evaluating a QB or other players for the draft process. LBers as well to see their play recognition and pre snap reads. You could also use it in season to prep for opponents. I think some teams do that already. IIRC Tampa Bay maybe. I'm sure there are others. But the mental part like you mention has to be the deciding factor if measurables are the same. That's why I like to watch Mooch and Gruden do their QB meetings with all the prospects.

23. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Team needs to begin grooming a future QB. Don't foresee any scenario where Ben is QB in 2019.

24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
  25. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Kaaya or Peterman in the third.. they become the better #2 over jones ... Then the new #1 QB not named Ben has a good backup not named Jones.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1