1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Updated Steeler Mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Mar 26, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Now that FA is waning, I thought I'd change my mock since an OLB could not be acquired to start on the right side or help out JH92.

1. TJ Watt OLB Wisconsin - I know some media guys said the Steelers don't like Watt in the first, but they say a lot of things this time of year. Need and value come together nicely here imo. In my first rnd mock, McKinley is gone but Lawson is available. I took Engram out of consideration just because the need is too great. Yes it is a deep draft at OLB, but you have more control over the selections in the first round. Do you take a chance on another position and then gamble that a prospect falls in your lap in rnds 2 or 3? That plays into the equation for me. Watt has a high floor and if JH92 goes down then you have Chickillo and rookie. I like Chickillo and Watt compared to Chickillo and guys available in rnds 2 or 3. I think you could go heavy snaps with JH92 at the start of the season while slowly transitioning in Watt so JH92 becomes more of a pass rusher late in the year.

2. Marcus Williams FS Utah - Would love to have Josh Jones here too, but I think he goes earlier in rnd 2. If both were available, I'd go Jones. Just a better body type than Williams. But I love Williams' reliable tackling and range. He pushes Mitchell out the door in 2018. Eliminated Tyus Bowser since we got an OLB in the first.

3. Marlon Mack RB South Florida - Had him in my earlier mock. Home run hitter and good receiver. Steelers met with him at the combine I believe. 5'11" 213 4.5 speed. A very nice addition to the RB group so we can spell Leveon and not lose too much. Bumped up Williams to the second round where I originally had him.

3comp. Shaquil Griffin CB Central Florida - 6' 194 4.38 speed. Another combine meeting. Outside corner candidate who can play press if they want to add that to the defense more often. Small school competition and needs some refinement but the physical traits are there. Eliminated Ethan Cooper as the o-line seems fairly intact.

4. Jake Butt TE Michigan - He may be gone by this pick, but I'm hoping the late season injury may push him down to us. Great blocker and reliable receiver. A beast to bring down. I wanted to add more of a "move" TE because of Green's issues, but this guy is too good to pass up here. Bumped up Griffin to 3comp because that 40 time will have him go earlier than I think he should.

5. Corn Elder/Damontae Kazee CB Miami/San Diego St - Flip a coin, I'm good with either. Slot CB candidates. Both fearless in run support for smaller guys. I had Dwayne Thomas out of LSU here and would be happy with him too.

6. Robert Davis WR Georgia State - 6'3" 220 4.44 speed. Tons of production at the smaller school. Which may let him drop to the 6th hopefully. School leader in receps and yards. Pro style offense. Late round insurance for Bryant/Hunter. Hands catcher. Eliminated Aaron Jones with the Mack selection in rnd 3.

7.. Steven Taylor ILB Houston - 6'1" 225 4.65 speed. Saw him when watching Elandon Roberts and WJIII last year. Good speed to add to the ILB group. Not a starter candidate but may grow into some nice depth with Matakevich and can cut his teeth on STs. Eliminated Jalen Reeves Maybin, due to a propensity to tackle low. Misses as much as he gets.

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the Steelers would take Lawson over Watt.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hopeful Marcus Williams is there.

Could be but his abilities as a centerfielder are what many safety hungry teams covet.

Teams like New York or Tampa Bay could go for him if they have not acquired said need round one.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Id take it that, Turtle :thumbs up:

And the Jake Butt pick is my dirty little secret. Id love if they draft him.

6. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Butt is your DIRTY little secret, eh? Hahaha

Announcer: "Butt up the middle (of the field) for a touchdown" Oh man...sorry...I'll go back to my corner now...

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    do you think MT would give him the name dirty too? :roflmao::facepalm::smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats why I was careful to word it like I did and not just say Butt. I knew there would be someone :lolol:

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Interesting turtle! I like first 2 picks. And need to study the rest.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I have a hard to believing a QB won't be drafted somewhere in the 7 choices.

11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    TBH, I think they will too, but I'm still hoping they wait until 2018. If they were to trade down out of the first and get another mid round pick, that would be an ideal scenario to pick a QB. wishful thinking...

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i know there is a lot of hype on williams but i watched that byu game on him and came away none to impressed. :cool:

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    does anyone else think watt can be a bust? I aint saying he is and will admit I haven't seen him play a lot but I have seen him graded all over the place. I seen a mock with him going 1st pick of 3rd round and some with him in mid 1st.

is he riding his last name a little bit?

that said, I like the mock

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think he would ever be a bust. Plays with alot of heart and had a non stop motor. No doubt in mind if it weren't for his last name he would be considered more of a 2nd round pick, maybe 3rd. Would be no talk of 1st round.

I've said he looks more like a 3-4 ILB. People call me crazy :lolol:. I think he could grow into a OLB role but I just don't see him being ready now.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it's his measureables as much as his last name. He really checked those boxes as well. You think ILB. Mayock thinks "Clay Matthews." Well, Clay has proven to be ultra versatile by playing both the edge and inside for Green Bay at a very high level. I see the similarities and think of Watt as a chess piece who will be able to do different things depending on what the team needs him to do. I've said before that I don't see him as an elite bending speed rusher (in that aspect I think Clay is better), but I think he's a very complete OLB prospect who will still contribute to the pass rush while also stopping the run and being effective in coverage. If we need him to kick inside to cover a deficiency (like Clay did), I think he'd be able to do that as well.

To me he will only be a bust if he has injury issues. He is not Jarvis Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think watt would be a good OLB in our defense. i don't see him in coverage from the inside as shazier does. he will be at his best around the LOS and out into the flats. i've watched a lot of these two guys and biegel is every bit as good if not more complete at this point but i think the pass rush ability of watt will become better than biegel. both very good though.

as i've said though every guy i look at in this draft has some upside and some things that keep them from being THE GUY, right down the board. nobody really sticks out without reservations. i still think the biggest difference maker for this defense may come from the back end in the first and maybe the second. :cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think watt will be gone before we pick. would love to have him but i see GB all over him. biegel could be a good second option and very comparable. maybe with that 3rd pick. he was a little banged up last year for them so the numbers were down a little but he's a heck of a player. he too knows our system well. we met with him too. :cool:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I too see the Packers picking him, too much
    local pressure in that situation. Get ready for Carl Lawson. LOL if we
    go that route?????. I am hoping we take a QB in first round.And hoping it is the Mentor
    kid.Just as in the Watt case, just too much pressure on the Browns to pass him up at 12.

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree, Mac. I think the Packers will take him if he's still available. I'd love to see him make it to us though.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes, I did some more updating @Wardismvp Just to note, this is what I think the Steelers will do, not necessarily who I would pick.

Just keep thinking Watt is gone by our pick and Lawson will be available. A lot of interest shown by the Steelers and hits our top need.

Still loving Marcus Williams as that true FS, not a pressing need but too good to pass up imo.

A lot of interest thrown Sutton's way as well. Really like his game and had a great career. If he's there in the third, I don't think they pass on him. No pun intended.

WR should be looked at as well as there are questions with MB's availability and with Coates' hands. Vertical threat guy that fits the Steelers mold. More interest by the Steelers, there's a theme here, lol.

We all know about Conner, tough runner, great teammate, great fit as a compliment.

Marquez White has a lot of press experience, a bit grabby but they may take a 5th round flier on that. Physical in run support which is key to me. With Sensabaugh and Golson maybe they take a chance on two outside guys, even though I think Sutton can play both easily.

Still like Taylor as a guy to throw in the mix at ILB. No visits that I'm aware of, but when you are in the sixth, the picks may not fall that way.

Orndoff has had a couple visits as well and if they don't get a TE earlier, they seem to like him.

Top need at OLB filled, double dip at CB, S and ILB depth. RB, WR, and TE depth added to the offense. No QBs as I think they still wait, even with the interest shown to the mid-rounders. Maybe they want another year to tweak the QB evaluation process??

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    My last change, sick of it already, let's pick some damn players already and get this draft going:lolol:. For the record, this is what I think the Steelers will do.

1. Going back to TJ Watt as our #1. Just too many naysayers on Lawson and think Watt will be BPA at a position of need.

2. Chris Wormley DE Michigan. Too much interest. D-line would be scary good.

3. Cam Sutton CB Tenn. Love the versatility.

3C. Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M. Martavis insurance and now Coates insurance.

4. James Conner RB Pitt.

5. Marquez White CB FSU. Double dip at CB.

6. Keion Adams OLB WMU Double dip at OLB.

7. Scott Orndoff TE Pitt.

Just a couple small changes on what I would like the Steelers to do.

1. Watt
    2. Josh Jones S. I think he'd offer more than another DE. Marcus Williams is still my favorite.
    3. Sutton or Corn Elder
    3C. Gerald Everett TE. Would offer more than Orndoff and give insurance for L. Green. I think Martavis comes back and puts on a show, so a WR selection can wait.
    4. I'm really at a toss up between Conner and Perine. I think both could be available here. Really like Aaron Jones, but they've showed no interest.
    5. Would love Carlos Henderson here. White or Steven Taylor if they want to go defense.
    6. Splitting hairs here. CB Nate Hairston or OLB Adams or G Ethan Cooper if he's still there.
    7. Javancy Jones as an ILB prospect? or NT Treyvon Hester