1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2017 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 8, 2017.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I vote Cunningham. He'll be a solid player for the Steelers scheme, and was already mentioned ILB isn't that deep in this draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    An ILB isn't going to help us get past The Pats. And there's nothing to suggest VW can't do the job, not based on film and stats anyway. It's just not a big enough need to warrant a first Rd pick.

There's enough of a drop off to make a difference at OLB if we wait. Bud needs help on the other side or you'll be watching a repeat of last years championship game.

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We usually go 24hrs. We didn't start voting until about 10 last night. This will give people a chance to vote after they get home from work tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast this is what I like about you and I sometimes we are dead on and sometimes we are just opposite. I disagree with this, we have went back and forth with VW for awhile. I hope I am wrong but I don't see him being able to take over, I think he is a very good relief guy and a good spot starter. I feel he is no more than depth right now, jmo. The other I disagree with is the fact he would make a difference vs the Pat's. He fits our scheme to a tee, he can play inside in a 3-4 then bounce outside in a 4-3. He adds speed that we didn't have with LT and paired with Shazier they would be a very quick combo to stop.

I also don't think IMO there is enough difference between say Watt and Phillips to make me want to go OLB like I feel here with Cunningham. I see you feel the opposite and I understand and if I felt that way I would agree. The fact is I don't know enough about these players and how they will adapt to our system. Maybe Watt comes in here and tears it up and becomes the beast you think he does and vice versa with Cunningham. But the fact is I am basing my opinions on the rankings of these so call experts and that the OLB class is special.

I also liked what I saw in Cunningham when he was being blocked and he was able to shed and make the tackle behind the LOS. I also liked the little I saw of him dropping back into coverage and making the stop as soon as the guy caught the ball, no YAC. The one thing I didn't like was the way he tackled, he looked like he arm tackled a ton and that may be a problem at the next level. I like this kid a lot(obviously) and feel teamed with Shazier and backed by VW and Matakevich out ILB will be super strong. Also the fact that we bounce so much from 3-4 to 4-3 is a major selling point on him for me. jmo

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Very solid points with regards to the depth angle. I really like Cunningham too, but I feel the gamble that an OLB available in the next couple rounds would be too big. What if a run on OLBs go in the early and mid second round? Whereas we have VW98 who is a capable starter. Remember he called the defense as a rookie when filling in for an injured Larry Foote. I don't think the starter role is "too big" for him, especially with the experience he's had since then. So do you load up on ILB and gamble at a position of glaring need hoping an OLB prospect you like is there at the end of rnds 2 or 3?

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    You know where I am at Blast!!

T.J. Watt for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, disagree with everything you've said :lolol:

Watt has been playing the position just 2 seasons and has done well, I agree with others that he is just scratching the surface. Imagine how you'd feel if we end up passing on the next JJ. I doubt he's ever THAT good but I do think he can be a difference maker.

Sorry but your VW concerns are unfounded, its just your gut. His film and stats back up his ability to play there. He doesn't have to be THE guy, thats Shaziers roll to fill.

Also, Cunningham is no Shazier. I dont see him as Shazier 2.0. If you were getting a player like that, it would warrant a 1st rd pick on an ILB a little more but he's not that guy.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ Watt - 7
    Zach Cunningham - 5
    Adoree Jackson - 1

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree, and will add a few more points:

1. VW is as a very solid, and underrated, 1st and 2nd down run stopper.

2. We should be removing him in sub packages in favor of a big nickel type of player (who would be almost certainly be better in coverage than Cunningham).

3. My limited watching of Cunningham tells me that he is NOT Shazier v2.0. He looks good, but is far closer to a conventional LB like VW than he is to Shazier.

4. I don't think we want another Shazier for our scheme anyway. On running downs, we want one of our ILBs to be that bigger thumper. Better to have VW and get a big nickel safety to sub for him in sub packages. Having the same 11 on the field all the time is soooo 2010...

Now if Cunningham is available in the 2nd round, then it's a different conversation. Then we may be talking good value. I don't see the value/need fit at all in the 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I vote TJ Watt

Just can't say no..... He'll play ILB until he bulks up a bit then edge.... His measurables are almost identical to DeMarcus Ware... He's even a bit quicker!!!

Cajun

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ Watt - 8
    Zach Cunningham - 5
    Adoree Jackson - 1

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This is a tough one for me, but I'll throw my hat in for Watt.

13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Please say between watt and Jackson!!!!

Cunningham is not a 1st Rd talent.

Cajun

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ Watt - 9
    Zach Cunningham - 5
    Adoree Jackson - 1

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While I haven't done much research/etc as with previous years...I figured I'd join in the 1st round vote at least. Obviously the biggest need is still OLB/CB.

The CB from OSU doesn't seem too bad from what I've heard. However at this point I do not see anyone beating out Watt. So I'm going to throw my hat in and vote for Watt.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not trying to been combative here but for you to say he is not a 1st round talent is kinda strong as every mock draft I have saw has this guy in the 1st round. I would be fine with you saying this if there wasn't so many guys mocking him in the 1st. The kid has 40 TFL, he plays in the backfield to say he is not 1st round talent is kinda off the wall when a lot of guys are saying he is a top 20 talent.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    As far as Watt turning out like JJ would I be pissed hell yeah but you have to stand by your decision. If you want to look at it that way then go back and look who we picked every year and every round and say man wish I would have picked player X instead or so and so. Also look at it the other way what if Watt don't pan out and say someone like Phillips does and we could have had him in the 2nd or 3rd? The draft is a crap shoot there is no way of knowing how a player will do so there is no reason to look back and say man wish we didn't do this or did that. Heck we have talked before there were lots of Steeler fans that after the first year were screaming that they wished we had draft Lacy over Bell, how did that work out? I know you were not on of them but there were lots that did.

As for Cunningham being a Shazier 2.0 I don't know if he will be or won't be but the way he flys around the field he reminds me of him, as for the thumping that Shaziers puts on people Cunningham don't have a lot of that. The one point that you are missing in this whole thing is Cunningham would be a 3 down player and would also stay of the field when we played that hybrid defense. Cunningham reminds me a lot of Matakevich as he isn't pretty but he gets the job done. To me getting the job done is what I want, I like the flexibility he will provide us along with the talent he would add to our LB's.

I have no numbers or examples but I am not gonna say I don't like VW but what I have saw imo he isn't starter material. I think we are gonna find out and I hope I eat my words cause I want to win games I don't want to be right on this one. :smiley1:

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If I would have taken TJ Watt for Green Bay, I wonder what this board would be thinking?

19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    By the way, I also vote for TJ Watt.

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    No worries..... At work traveling across NC...... When I get home I'd be happy to debate/discuss our differing view points.

Cajun

21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Not wanting to be argumentative but this is the one thing I don't like about this mock draft ..... Fans/GMs not sticking to their guns and just following the crowd. It happens a lot and always has. Everything else is awesome!!

Cajun

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't know.... you might have been banned, especially after Takk was taken a pick before you. ;)

23. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Would have all been voting for Lawson then :cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That's cool no problem I just got home myself and on my way home I was listening to Sirius radio and they do their mock draft on Fridays. Kinda funny Pat Kirwan was just talking about Cunningham. He said if he was gonna talk about him he better study him and he watched a bunch of games. He did not have a bad thing to say about him, he said first off what he saw was a very smart player. Then he said he is a first striker and was always the first guy off the ball. He also said he took away the quick slant passing lanes and was a little chance taker.

No offense but PK did this for a living and I have great respect for him. I am not saying everything he says is right cause if it were he wouldn't be on the radio he would still be in the NFL. If you get a chance listen to todays podcast of movin the chains and he talks a lot about Cunningham between the 10-20 selections. Also check this site out:

http://realfootballnetwork.com/

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    TJ Watt - 10
    Zach Cunningham - 5
    Adoree Jackson - 1

Looks like its going to be Watts, baring any last minute push for Zach "2nd rd" Cunningham.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1