1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

~ OFFICIAL 2017 TSF.COM FANTASY DRAFT STEELERS VOTING & DISCUSSION ~

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 8, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Hey hey hey......you can have all the bullets you want but it will do you not good without a weapon. Dalvin Cook is a very good ball player.....almost as good as McCaffrey.....:shrug:

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I will be honest I like this kid too but again TE is deep, OLB is deep and RB is deep. I really feel that picking Cunningham here is the right call. jmo

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I've watched that clip and some other game footage.

Ad I said, rock solid ILB. I think he plays the run extremely well. I question his athleticism. Don't see him as a turn and run ILB who can keep up with athletic TEs, although in our scheme and having Shazier, maybe he wouldn't have to that often.

I just don't see him coming in here and taking over for Vince Williams.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    My argument for Cunningham over Njoku would be the depth of the TE class, as compared to ILB. I just believe that the remaining OLBs, with the exception of possibly Watt, have serious deficiencies or are serious dangers to smoke themselves out of the league. Watt I like, just believe that we can get a comparable OLB in the second or third.

5. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    As things stand right now, my vote is Cunningham

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm going to make the case for Adoree Jackson.

Probably the best return man in the draft. That helps us.

One of the most athletic CBs in the draft.

5 INTs last year. That helps us.

We need another top flight corner.

He is a game changer. He has another gear many DBs don't have. He knows how to locate the football. He can highpoint the ball and go take it away from the WR even though he isn't the Tallest.

Watch the Washington game. He shut John Ross (concensus 1st round pick) down, except for one play. One play in particular he caught Ross on a 50 yard vertical from the slot and broke up the pass. Unfortunately on the next play, Jackson slipped in his back pedal and Ross was wide open for a 70 yard td. Other than that, Jackson blanketed him.

Mayock has him as a Top 20 pick
    Deion loved him at the Combine. He actually thought Jackson should have stayed in school and came out next year as a potential top 10 pick.

I'm not sure if we would use him in such a way, but jackson can also be utilized on offense. He's a playmaker. Get him in space and get the ball in his hands.

My vote is for Adoree Jackson.

7. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    damn you steel city. I was all ready to pull the trigger on cummingham. now I have to do some research here at work.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And thats how you become an unemployed GM. There is a reason teams spend hours and months preparing grades on every player to make a board.

9. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Cunningham. But I like the idea of a CB.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My vote: TJ Watt

Only two seasons at the position but the film is good and his combine put him over the top for me. Nailed the 3 cone, 20 shuttle and 40, all very important tests for LB's indicating he has burst, agility, ability to change direction on the dime, speed, he has all that. Translation, sacks.

He'll have no trouble dropping into cover either, obviously important in our scheme.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So one person says he is a 2nd rounder and that is it he is a second rounder? How about the many if not all the experts who should know much more than us that have him as a 1st rounder? Every mock on every site has this guy in the 1st round but one of us average fans says he is a 2nd round and that carries weight? We are not full time GM's **** I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground but I like this kid and with us not being able to trade or anything I am all for him at #30. Nobody get's it right that's why we have guys like JH, and AB and Brady to name a few. :smiley1:

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Cook and Njoku are very nice offensive weapons, Jackson and Conley are both nice options for us at CB and I would not be upset with the Watt pick but because the OLB spot is so talented later in the next few rounds my vote is Cunningham.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Huh? You seemed to imply you dont believe in grades. If you have a 1st rd grade on him thats fine but thats not what you conveyed in the post I quoted.

14. centralpa007

centralpa007 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  15. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I guess if Watt is the OLB that people are voting for I'll go that direction.
    My vote T.J. Watt

I do like the idea of Adoree Jackson but there are a couple CBs I like that should be available in the 2nd

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Sorry if it was confusing, I have a 1st round grade I was referring to Steelcity for saying he had a 2nd round grade on him. And what I meant by that is we are picking at 30 that is pretty close to a 2nd as you get so it is not a reach. I guess that was the way I should have said it...lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of course you like him! If I don't like a player much, you're going to like him. It's almost automatic. ;)

As a receiver he's dangerous, but his blocking makes your TE crush from last year (Higby, or something like that?) look like a road grader by comparison. And his stance... good god, he looks like he's squatting to take a dump every time he gets into a 3 point stance.

My concern is that a TE needs to at least be a good enough run blocker for the opponent to be concerned about him in both the run game and the passing game. Otherwise he's just a big receiver. I'd actually consider taking him a little bit later and saying "dude... your blocking is :facepalm:; just give up on the TE thing, lose a few pounds and be a WR for us. Oh, and don't EVER get into a 3 point stance like that in my sight again!"

End rant :lolol:

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Now that is funny right there, lol. Oh man a Tyler Higbee flash back woot woot.....:bowdown: I hear what you are saying about his blocking and I haven't watched much on him however all that I have read people love him. I look at the TE position like this, get a pure receiver and if he becomes a playmaker great but we carry 3 TE's so while I would prefer a total package TE I am fine with a guy you can be a big play guy. The NFL is changing so much and the blocking TE is not out but is going by the wayside while the pass catching TE is on the rise, jmo. I am not saying it is right I am just saying the way I see things changing.

Oh also thanks for the flash back and the laugh.....:dancing:

19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    My first vote goes to tj watt....... if the Packers snatch him (which is a 50/50 possibility), then I would switch my vote to Houston's tyus bowser

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Good pick, I don't think the cowgirls would pass on him if he was there.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    OK now that GB has taken their pick, we are on the clock..!!!

My vote is for TJ Watt. OLB is definitely a need since no one was acquired via FA.

Watt is already taking care of his diet/nutrition to become a professional. No doubt tips from his bro. Similar defense and a motor shown on tape. I don't see a DB who can provide better value and need at this point.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I thought hard about Adoree Jackson, Zach Cunningham and Carl Lawson.

Cunningham is definitely an ILB for us, I don't see the OLB claims except in a 4-3. He has one of the best angles to the ball carrier I've seen out of this year's prospects. He seems to be always in position to make a tackle. But he still doesn't trump the need at OLB imo.

Lawson seems like an early to mid 2nd to me and then you add in some of the medicals. I'm not too concerned about those as some since MT, KC, and Porter were at his pro day and if the combine medicals found something, I'm sure they wouldn't all attend.

Jackson is very intriguing, probably my 1B for us here. Tomlin doesn't seem to like defensive players returning kicks but since he played both ways, I'm sure an exception would be made. You can't deny the athleticism.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This is where voting stands so far:

TJ Watt - 6
    Zach Cunningham - 4
    Adoree Jackson - 1

24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What time are we going to call this?

25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Turtle good write up and I can't fault anyone for voting Watt and I also like Jackson(that shocks ya) he looks like he is climbing up the charts. However my feeling here about Cunningham is this.

We have a need at OLB but we also have a need at ILB. Yeah we have VM and Matakevich but I am still not comfortable with that. So with that said this draft is loaded at OLB and CB. What is the drop off from Cunningham the #2 rated ILB and say the #4-7 ILB, then you look at the drop off from Watt #6 OLB vs say the #10 OLB and the same for CB. The drop off is very small at OLB and CB, guys like Smoot, Walker, Williams, Anderson, Willis and Phillips are just a few that could be had in the 2nd and 3rd.

I look at this and say I can get Cunningham and say Willis then maybe King or Sutton later and still have very good talent instead of drafting Watt right here and maybe missing out on a quality ILB later.

This is jmo and how I feel at the talent level at each position. I will be happy with Watt or Jackson here but when I look at the bigger picture of the draft I feel OLB is not as important in the 1st since the talent level is so deep. I am not saying Smoot is just as good as Watt but what I am saying is from what I am reading the difference between the two are not as big as say the difference between Cunningham and Anzalone from FLA.

What a nice problem to have some real good talent here for us to choose from......