1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We should trade out of the 1st Rd.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by StillHERNation, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow, You don't think too much of our current roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I really don't want a FA OLB, I figure with JH, Dupree, Chick and Moats we are good. What I want is to draft 2 from this draft since this draft is loaded. I mean up and down this draft there is a guy I like, guys like Wise, Davis, Dimick, Carraway & English towards the bottom would be nice projects as a 2nd OLB drafted.

As for the Chart yeah I am asking for a lot but if a team wants to move up they will pay. I am just giving a base line of what it would take me to trade back, I heard a guy say the other day you only trade back as many spot as you have valued players.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not true. Actually I think our current roster is very close to SB caliber, and that's why I want to add the final pieces to help us get over the hump with Ben in 2017 and or 2018. If I didn't think much of our current roster, then I'd be thinking about the QB of the future.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the future is close. getting one this year just gets an already good team ready to keep trying to win when the franchise hangs them up. if one drops in our laps we would almost have to pick him and just say thank you. he's not going to start this year. nor is a pass rusher. :cool:

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

it's a different game in college. williams ability to run made him a better choice in college. if on the same team in the pros it could be quite the opposite. :cool:

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with the QB part but to say an OLB isn't gonna start this year I don't agree with. Look two years ago we got Dupree and he saw very much playing time by midseason, can't remember if he got the start but he got playing time. Last year we started 3 rookies, to say an OLB is not gonna start this year could be very much incorrect.

Now if a QB say like Kizer falls to us in the first I think they would have to think long and hard about drafting him. I am not saying they should or will but they have to think about it. I don't know what next years class looks like but let's not forget there is also FA which could have names like Cousins and Stafford, but that is too far out to tell. I do not like this QB class, only a few I have interest in and they are Evans and Dobbs both later round prospects. After Kizer I am not sure there is a guy I would want, Webb and Peterman I didn't like what I saw, Kaaya hasn't had good reviews here. I don't know much on Mahomes, but some here like him. A name I like a lot but is way down is Wes Lunt I don't think he will get drafted. All my opinion on these guys are with just a limited view on most so I havn't sat down and watched them all as I didn't think it would be worth my time.

Bottom line is if a qb like one of the top 3 falls to us there is gonna be a tough decision. Either way he won't play this year but an OLB or S or CB all could see good amoount of playing time, jmo.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i saying walking in and starting day one. playing time is quite different. our 1st round pick was the last of our 3 rookies to start by the way. there wasn't much behind these guys either. OLB has JH, chickillo and moats. :cool:

8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac what your saying now and what you said previous are different in you last post you said you don't see a QB or OLB coming in and "start this year" Dupree did it 2 years ago with JH there, and 3 of our rookies did it last year. It don't matter if our 1st rounder was the last to start or not he still started. That was my point he started to say picking an OLB don't matter cause he won't start this year is a little off considering the last 2 years our 1st rounder has played and started. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

let me rephrase that for you. day one. 2 years ago JH was almost an after thought coming back from a lackluster stint with cinci. bud dupree was the top draft pick at his position that year. we won't be getting one of the top picks. more than likely the 4th or 5th best draft picks at their position. not all OLB'ers in our system are the same either. JH doesn't play the left side. bud did. they were trying to team up jarvis with bud with very little behind them then. we picked up moats and he played a lot but we soon found out he wasn't all that from the outside. he was also in his first year here and trying to learn. so yes bud played. i don't see us getting a bud dupree in this one. as for the other positions and our rookies last year we had even less in front of them so yes they played and started earlier than usual. they were also ranked very high on most boards at their positions. better HWS than what we had in front of them. we will see, with JH's age it's a good possibility that whomever we draft could see plenty of play time but it will be to learn and won't start because he's better than JH day one, just fresher and allowing him to limit his snaps. :cool:

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Anyone who we pick in the first round, with the exception of a qb, is going to have to contribute this year. If it's an OLB who ends the season sharing time with Silverback than that's what we need. If it's a corner who finishes the year starting at the slot position, then that's what we need.

The whole idea of trading out of the first is that we pick up an extra third or fourth rounder, and still get the guy we were targeting. Unless we know that the guy we're targeting is a hugh reach, there is no guarentee that that person will be there.

The Steelers have a board. They seem to be massively attached to it. It includes people that they would be willing to trade up for, and how much they'd be willing to give up. After watching the speed with which we make our first round picks, I highly doubt it contains a "well, if this guy is gone, we'll be willing to trade down" clause. They will have a board drawn up for the first round with their top 30 prospects. Probably the top 17 or 18 options will be gone in the first 20 or 22. There will be people in the first round we have absolutely no interest in, like running backs and receivers. We don't need a number 1, we need a number 2 or 3. When they get to #30, unless someone falls who we can pick up for our first and third round comp, then the next man up will be our pick. I doubt Cleveland, San Francisco, or da Bears are going to part with a second and third rounder to move up for a qb.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac, please don't take this the wrong way and all the points you bring up are valid but if we pick a OLB in the 1st this year he is gonna play. JH is old and can't play full time we saw that last year, Chick is still green, Moats has not proven he can step in otherwise OLB wouldn't be as big of a need as it is and Dupree is the other starter. Let's take a name any name for example Reddick or Watt just for example, both names have been linked to us and in the NFL.com mocks. Both guys will see playing time this season, they may not start but they are gonna see playing time and lots of it. The days of guys sitting the first year are long gone, players are more NFL ready and with the salary cap guys need to be on the field from day one. jmo. :smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i don't see reddick as an OLB in our system. i was one of the first on this board to bring him up way back. i see ILB as his fit for us. i doubt seriously if he's at pick 30 anyway. watt maybe. i think it's between 4 guys for us maybe 5. watt, lawson, rivers, willis, and maybe anderson or bowser. phillips is my wildcard. some of these guys won't be first round picks. they will need time. we are then starting to get to the second tier of players at their positions. as for chickillo, his injury set him back last year and i think they like him far more than most think as depth.:cool:

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't know much about Reddick until the senior bowl and he has done nothing but climb up the board since then. However like I said insert any name I was just using them as an example, Lawson, River, willis, Phillips it don't matter these guys are gonna play. That was the point I am trying to make, yes they will need time and we are in a very good position to give them that having JH back. But by mid season these guys will be ready and will see time. To say an OLB in the 1st round won't matter imo is wrong I feel they will be a big help. To be honest as the draft keeps getting closer I am thinking S is in play and either OBI or Peppers may be the pick and I feel they will have an impact as well. jmo :smiley1:

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    2018 is a much better stacked QB class, just not much to choose from this year and ben is coming back so the next draft in 18 is the time to discuss taking an early franchise QB like my favorite Sam Darnold:

http://www.deepishthoughts.com/potentially-stacked-2018-qb-class/

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice article, I forgot about Mayfield and Rudolph thanks.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we can get a good enough deal to trade out I say go for it...I think the value in this draft is really 2-4. I think there is enough depth at OLB and CB to be able to add a couple early contributors. The lack of depth we have at those spots will dictate that guys will definitely get their chances. As far as Reddick,while he isn't a pure fit at OLB his versatility would add to the position ,as well as really solidifying our ILBs. He would be my choice if he was there....As far as QBs go the only guy I would take a chance on at 30 is Watson. Not saying he is a can't miss but no one has proven themselves more the last two years and on the biggest stage...against the biggest challenge in CFB. He showed up in the biggest games and under the brightest lights....

17. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    There is one QB we could draft in the later rounds who has a very decent up side worth a 3 or 4 pick, he is Webb who played at texas tech and Cal:

Davis Webb, QB, California
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 229. Arm: 33.25. Hand: 9.13.
    40 Time: 4.79.
    Projected Round (2017): 2-4.
    3/18/17: In 2016, Webb completed 62 percent of his passes for 4,295 yards with 37 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. There is some buzz about him in the scouting community as Webb has a good arm with pocket presence and flashes good field vision. He can also make some pretty throws downfield and fit the ball into tight windows. However, he will have some of the same developmental problems for the NFL as Jared Goff with having to learn working under center, operating a huddle, and developing the footwork.

Webb also suffers from poor decision-making. He needs to do a better job of working through his progressions as he far too often pre-determined where he is going with the ball and stares down some reads. Webb should start out his NFL career as a backup, but he has the physical potential to develop into a starter.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

He was MVP of the senior bowl 11-16 and they scored on all his drives, not gonna disagree with you on this. I really don't want a QB in our 1st 3 picks though, jmo

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Dobbs in the latter rds if they are going to take a QB.

On your other point, I agree about whoever they pick, will get snaps immediately and hopefully starting by midseason.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The only shot the Steelers would have at Darnold is if they were picking in the top 3.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Webb could be a 4 or 5 pick:

SBNation:
    Webb is known as a pocket passer without much ability to move around. But, it certainly isn’t for a lack of athleticism, as we discovered at the Combine. He ranked as a top performer in every drill in which he participated. He struggles with predictability and timing in the pocket, but otherwise he is a very well-rounded prospect and should be available in the fourth or fifth round.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

yea i kind of like webb too and he could go anywhere between 3 to 5 range possibly 2 for a team in bad need. i do like peterman too at about rd. 3. i saw good velocity on his passes at the combine. he has become a better qb this past year. dobbs is very smart. am luke warm on him. we have a little time for these guys to learn and get better too. i do think it was a good move to bring LJ back and i want to see where met is too. :cool: