1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEER thread.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Sep 4, 2012.

1. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Well there is the Czech bier Budweiser
    I remember in Germany looking at a letter in a bar in Bavaria and when the dispute for the rights to the name Budweiser was going on, Budweiser America asked them to discontinue the use of their name and the Czechs replied "We've been brewing this bier since the 13th century. How old is your country?
    :roflmao:

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Another good thing to come from yesterdays game, found my new game day beer.

Mississippi Mud and it comes in a jug :guiness:

Its a Porter and Pilsner combination, Black and Tan beer.

Reeaalllly good, I highly approve :good:

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I haven't taken the time to read the whole thread, but I really like some of the Breckenridge Bewing Co beers. I've had their IPA and their Agave Wheat which are both pretty good, but have been told that their winter seasonal blows it out of the water. My go to is usually sweetwater's IPA or the dogfish IPA. I also had a oatmeal porter recently that was great. Can't recall the brewery though. Also stay far far away from Voodoo black lager. Like way far away... Totally gross lol

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Whoa!!!!

I must have this! Beginning exhaustive search... :roflmao:

5. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Just found out last week that our town landed Stone Brewing's east coast location. Haven't had a ton of their stuff, but looking forward to adding yet another microbrewery to the area. We're just flooded with them!

6. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    you talking blackened voodoo? hadn't had it in years

had a bet with friends
    they buy if the steelers win I'd buy their choice if they loss

this was 94 season and the 95 season so I drank a ton of blackened voodoo

didn't have to buy much for them

7. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    you arrogant bastard

I mean lucky son of....

:smiley1:

8. Colssteel

Colssteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I found a new favorite...Chomolungma by Jackie O's brewery in Athens, Ohio. It is a brown ale, made with wild honey. Mmmm....Yummy.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Picked up some Prairie Bomb! today.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    This thread seems to be losing steam.

Latest hauls

Brooklyn Brewing Black Ops
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    Terrapin French Toasted Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal stout
    Terrapin Moohoochiato Espresso Milk Stout
    Christmas Bomb!
    Hardywood Gingerbread Stout
    Hardywood Bourbon Barrel Aged Gingerbread Stout

11. Colssteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I have been enjoying the seasonal/holiday brews. I have had a six of each of Twelve Dogs of Christmas Ale by Thirsty Dog Brewing, Christmas Ale by Great Lakes Brewing and Winter Warmer by Elevator Brewing Co. All of them are pretty good selections. I would recommend each of them.

12. Colssteel

Oct 16, 2011
    How is the Black Ops?

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I haven't opened this years release yet, but I've had 2011,2012, and 2013 and they're outstanding.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I had a Black Ops a couple years back and it was a very impressive brew. It's a really big beer.

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

Christmas Bomb was really enjoyable. I'm pretty sure the devil makes Goose Island BCS in his basement.

16. VA_Black&Gold

Nov 14, 2011
    Hardywood is one of our locals, and you can't get your hands on the gingerbread stout around town easily! I've never been a huge fan of their beers (here's something hoppy, here's something else hoppy, how about hoppiness?), but that one is a winner.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I'm really looking forward to trying the hardywood. I just read about another version of their gbs. It's a Christmas version. I might have to look into trading for that one as well.

18. VA_Black&Gold

Nov 14, 2011
    I actually went to Hardywood this weekend and grabbed a four pack of the Christmas version (and tasted both). I enjoyed the Christmas version far more than the regular, which I am now convinced has hype driven up by the local hipsters coveting it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something I'd be checking the Total Wine for daily like some people are around here. You should have seen the brewery- nothing but beards and thick framed glasses everywhere! LOL

Not sure how widely they are distributing, but Strangeways is another local brewery that's worth checking out. They have a new tequila barrel aged stout and their Gourd of Thunder gets new treatments all the time. This past weekend I had the caramel version and it was delicious.

19. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Gouden Carolus Tripel

Westmalle trappist ale dubbel

Stillwater artisanal sensory series hibiscus

Brew Dog cocoa psycho stout

Petrus aged pale ale

Evil Twin

love em all

gotta go shovel some driveways to afford more of the cocoa psycho 13 a bottle

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    This thread went silent for too long. ;) Let's see if we can rejuvenate it.

My biggest gripe for years is that a wide variety of beers isn't really available in my neck of the woods. Usually standard "domestics" (when most are foreign owned now), a few imports (thank God Guinness is easily found), and the odd microbrewery/craft beer... which is almost always overindulgent in hops, and therefore not to my taste... and not a lot of them nor decent variety.

But I finally have a halfway decent beer garden I can browse at. Not close, it's a long drive, but worth it compared to what I have locally. And I've been collecting. :lolol:

(Disclaimer: I gave up drinking for Lent, so I have to wait before I can try most of these. Some I've already had and bought because I liked them)

My current collection so far (** next to ones I already know and enjoy... Guinness is always in house, so that's not part of it)

Founder's Breakfast Stout**
    Founder's Porter**
    Founder's Dirty Bastard (Scotch Ale Wee Heavy)**
    Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout**
    Newcastle Brown Ale**
    Smithwick's Red Ale**
    New Belgium Fat Tire**
    Troegg's Troeggenator (Dopplebock)**
    Breckinridge Vanilla Porter**
    Sweet Baby Jesus! (Chocolate Peanut butter porter)**
    Evil Genius Purple Monkey Dish Washer (another chocolate peanut butter porter - SBJ is better, but this is good too)**
    A few Sam Adams rotating/seasonals**

New Holland Dragon's Milk (bourbon barrel stout)
    Einstok Olgerd Icelandic Wee Heavy (scotch ale)
    Avery Island Ellie's Brown Ale
    Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale
    Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
    Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
    Flying Dog Pearl Necklace (Chesapeake Stout / Oyster Stout)
    Thomas Creek Coffee Oatmeal Stout
    Thomas Creek Honeysuckle Saison
    Guinness Blonde (as much as I love Guinness, I'm not expecting much from this one. More trying it out of curiosity)
    Kulmbacher Eisbock
    Spaten Optimator (Dopplebock)
    Southern Tier Dark Roast Porter
    Victory Golden Monkey (Triple)
    Rivertowne Maxwell's Scottish Ale
    Troegg's Hopback Amber Ale
    Lagunitas Brown Shugga
    Ommegang Abbey Ale (Dubble)
    Ommegang Three Philosophers (Quad)

Looking at the list, it looks like maybe I went overboard the past 3 weeks. But it's not like I'm buying cases of these. 750 ml bottles when I can, 4 packs good, 6 packs if necessary. And they let you do a "pick 6" of assorted single bottles (not all brands of course), so ones I'm not sure of, I might only have a bottle or 2. Sadly, I won't be able to make the trip for a few more weeks. On the other hand, I'm trying to be a good boy, so I can't sample these until Easter anyway. ;)

There's a few more styles / brands I'd like to try if I can collect them down the road. I'm hoping they get some Founder's Curmudgeon soon, but I'll take any Old Ale if not. I'd like to grab a Barleywine or 2. There's so many different stouts I'll eventually get around to trying. Maybe Bourbon County Brand Stout.. or find out who I have to sell a kidney to to get my hands on Kentucky Breakfast Stout (more likely, I'll have to get that off the tap at a restaurant). Pirate Bomb if and when I find it. After that? Whatever piques my interest.

And if you noticed there's no IPAs listed there, well, you're not blind. And there's a reason for that. ;) (Hops are fine. But you CAN have too much of a good thing. Balance is key)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That founders breakfast stout and dragon's milk are tasty. The left hand is a solid example of the style as well

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah. I love Founder's Breakfast Stout, so I'm compelled to buy it whenever I find it. Same for Left Hand's Milk Stout, although this will be my first time trying the Nitro version.

I've never had Dragon's milk, or any BBS for that matter. But one of the guys there said to try it before I buy any other as it's a good "entry level" BBS. That, and it was a lot cheaper than some. ;)

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Personally, it's hard to beat a bourbon barrel aged stout. By far my favorite beer

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    A few things happened here in PA since this thread started that has helped me broaden my horizons. They allowed some Supermarkets to sell beer in 6s and 12s. A lot of Supermarkets decided to carry a lot of craft brews to enter a niche many distributors weren't in. And then they passed a law allowing distributors to also sell beer in singles, 6s and 12s. So a few distributors around me are slowly but surely expanding their beer list because there's less risk involved. Prior, they only sold in bulk, so it made good business sense to only invest in time proven, mass market beers. It's how I've managed to keep a small but satisfying supply of Founders Breakfast and Left Hand's Milk for almost a year now. I don't even have to drive very far. Of course, many places think "craft beer" just means IPAs, and they're not really my thing. But if I go to the higher population centers, which might involve a healthy drive, the available variety is really, really good now.

And just like the old six Pack houses here, anyone not a distributor can only sell 2 6s or one 12 at a time. But many places just check you out multiple times. ;)

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Didn't know they changed the law about only buying in bulk. That was one of the worst things about visiting my parents, couldn't buy a 6 pack of decent beer. It was either a case from the distributor or mass produced crap.

If you're anywhere near Harrisburg You should check out al's of Hamden/pizza boy brewing. They make some very good and different beer. A fair amount are available in growlers or crowlers.