1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHIFF!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 15, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's Colbert's job to manage and manipulate the cap to get us in position to continually make runs for a championship. His job isn't to manage and manipulate the cap for individual signings.

2. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Brady has not only restructured, but he's taking FAR below market deals over and over again.

Brady's market value is something like a 30 million dollar QB, and yet he makes 15-20 million a year. Just this year alone, under a NEW 2 year deal. He's making 20.5 million. That's 12th highest among QBs. That's insane.

3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wow, so much knowledge I don't know what to say!

The Defense has 2 prospects drafted last year in the secondary which I personally feel will be excellent players. Possibly Burns being one of the best in the league going forward. Solid D Line when all are healthy. Linebackers still not resolved. Glad Hightower went back to NE. Williams will be fine alongside Shazier. Hopefully Chickello comes on, he has upside. The major issue still remains at the secondary spot. Sorry but Mitchell is the weak link. And although I like Cockrell he is not the answer. So it looks like the first 3 picks should be spent on DE/OLB, corner and a free safety. Hopefully Golson can come back and make it out of training camp.

Like said and as we all see, every year, the Steelers don't make flashy moves, overspend on FA. The whole Hightower thing baffles me. Made no sense.

Have fun fighting with each other, but when you personally attack the person and not the subject, I feel that steps over the line. But hey, some can get away with it. Life goes on, we all route I think for the same team...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    [QUOTE="JackAttack Meanwhile, crickets in Pittsburgh other than a guy trying to drive his value up in, you guessed it, Patriot land!

So far this offseason is ONE BIG FAIL![/QUOTE]

Jack. I don't want any FA's this year. Get a rusher and a few corners in the draft and play them. Burns and Davis turned out pretty good
    We get two fair corners in the draft and I bet by week 7, cockrell is the nickle, and a good one.

5. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    CK I did not read you before I answered Jack. Great minds anat I guess!

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And...the Ravens sign another DB. Brandon Carr, who was a pretty solid CB for the Cowboys.

Another decent CB off the market and signed by our chief rival. Some are saying they may have one of the best secondaries in the league now with the Weddle signing last year and the Jefferson and Carr signings this year. Add Jimmy Smith to the mix and that's a pretty good group.

Meanwhile the Steelers will go with the young guys they have, which is fine. I'm sure they'll really come into their own the year after Ben calls it quits.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You need a xanax or something :lolol:

Just curious, did you ever think the Steelers would be in the championship game last year when the season started? How about after the 4 game skid?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they better have good db's because they will be trying to cover the best group of wr's and TE's and rb in the league. i like our chances against the ravens db's. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Same here.

Baltimore is stockpiling talent just to simply slow down Pittsburgh's and othet tier one offenses and hope players like Za'Darius Smith and Kamelia Correa can take that next step. While this sounds good in theory, wr will have to see it play out in real time.

Personally though, should Martavis come back, who really cares what Baltimore has? Game. Set. Match.

10. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Before the season, I liked our chances of competing for number 7. After the 4 game skid, I thought we'd miss the playoffs. Brady absolutely carved us up in the AFCCG. Are you not at all surprised that the Steelers haven't made more of a run at DBs in free agency? I am.

Well, mac, their secondary kept our offensive skill guys in check the first game. And if not for an absolutely phenomenal individual effort by AB in the second game, they pretty much kept Ben and the boys under control there as well.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Blast. Did you not think we'd make more of an attempt at upgrading our secondary this offseason? I'm very surprised at our lethargic efforts during free agency.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    NE is the hump every team has to get over. I was referring more to your concerns about Baltimore. Games are never won in March, let the Rats be paper champions. The Steelers keep managing to win doing it there way. I look at how close they got last year and that was minus a #2 WR all year, having 3 starting rookies on defense and losing Bell against NE no less.

Yes, Im surprised they haven't signed a CB yet but they obviously haven't found something that fits. Their name has been attached to plenty. Its not for lack of trying.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Pittsburgh has the success and mentality many players covet. The key is if those players will heed to Pittsburgh's demands.

Pittsburgh is not going to give a player a bad deal but only if what the negotiating player asks for is within reason of his performance and how he will fit in Pittsburgh.

This is what is known as "Buyer Beware". A player attempting to cash in after a big season. With only one year of superb production; mainly in the contract year no less, is he worth the cap space?

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Football is a funny game. You are correct that we got close last year. But you also have to acknowledge that we were incredibly close to being defeated twice by the Rats and eliminated from playoff contention but for The Stretch. The Rats have made multiple moves to shore up a secondary that pretty much kept us in check in both games last season. We've done nothing. I guess my expectation was that we'd try to upgrade the secondary and add depth and competition. We've done neither.

Oh well, now I feel like I'm really...
    :beathorse:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Kind of like what they did for Ladarius Green last year?:shrug:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

That poor horse :lolol:

They did win those games though, thats the reality we're in. Can play the what if game with every win/loss.

I feel good going into next season. Burns and Davis should be ready to take the next step, Hargrave I think is going to kill it, really excited about him.

Have another successful draft like that one, I like our chances alot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason it is "Buyer Beware". Free agency, like the draft, has its risks.

LaDarius had concussion like symptoms before he came to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh took a risk and it did pay off initially when he got back on the field but Geroge Iloka hit him pretty good.

Furthermore, I did not state every free agency pickup is considered a success either. I am stating that Pittsburgh is not going to submit and forefit a good sum of cap space to accomodate one player.

17. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was really really really hoping for an OLB in FA but we just got out of cap hell with Woodley's dead money, LTs contract maturing and Cortez Allen etc etc all finally off the books in recent years. May not get a big name FA this year, but the draft is deep on the defensive side and with Bell and AB's contract, we are not in dire straits for the defense. Who did we lose Jarvis Jones and LT94. Capable starter in VW98 and Jones was a scrub. I'd take a gamble on a draft pick over him anyways. Not much of an effort (calculated on their part?) but we will have some wiggle room for the next couple years I would think.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm going make one more counterpoint against the concept of signing an expensive corner. If some folks think that spending almost 10% of our cap dollars on a single corner will help beat the Pats, they're mistaken. We bring in [insert name of big-time corner], and he takes the Pats' top receiver completely out of the game. Then what? The Pats just won the super bowl without their top receiving option. As long as Brady is there, he will attack the weaknesses of the defense, and having a big-time free agent corner will have a limited impact on the game. Now, having a big time pass rusher - that's a different story. A great cover corner can take one receiver out of the game, and provides a bit of help to other defenders by allowing safety help to be focused elsewhere. A big time pass rusher helps out the coverage on ALL 5 eligible receivers.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:applaud:

Your final counterpoint is the endgame counterpoint for this debate.

I have already stated such earlier in the thread. Furthermore, why else do players like J.J. Watt, Justin Houston or Von Miller make so much? It is quite simple.

If an elite quarterback is a defense's biggest issue, then the same analogy must be applied for the antipode of the most important player on defense, which has been for a long time, an elite pass rusher.

Having just one fundementally and tactically changes an entire offensive gameplan. If you have one elite one and one good one, that just makes things even more difficult. Personally though, I would like to have two great pass rushers but an elite front seven; one that can get to the quarterback and shut down rushing attacks with little to no issue.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  20. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014

How much Cap space does Brady create over Ben? I think there is a possible CapGate in NE..

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well after this year not much, I just looked up the numbers and while Brady has been playing for a discount(13-14mil) the last few years he will not the next few. This year Brady has a cap hit of 14 mil then it goes up to 22 mil the next two years. Of course he can restructure or retire but that is what it is right now. Ben on the other had the next 3 years cap numbers are 18-23.2-23.2!

One more point about this whole FA thing I wanted to point out. Not sure who said it but we played the whole season without a #2 WR, heck we played without a 2-3 & sometimes 4 WR. We also were without our big offseason signing last year most of the time, oh and did I mention Bell was out 3 games? Just getting Bryant and Coates back is an addition and if Green is ok bam another addition. When healthy our offense is our defense, also loses on defense(LT) is gonna help our pass coverage....I hope. Last I want to say once again the last game was also just as much about scheme as it was talent, rush 2 guys and watch Brady tear you apart.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If your not preparing and adjusting to beat the top team in the AFC the results will be the same. Can't sit and hope someone else knocks off NE paving the way for us. Could be the same song this season, the AFCCG in NE. What's going to be different if no upgrades on Defense? Another carving. I feel they were interested in Hightower to get into the Patriot way. If Sherman is available for a trade I would be interested. Mitchell is a liability. I hope they draft a FS early. Sherman for the 1st, a DE/OLB in the 2nd and a FS in the 3rd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think cam heyward being back will make a huge difference on defense. year two after starting 3 rookies on defense will make a huge difference. getting bryant back and hopefully green and adding hunter will make a huge difference on offense. i said on here last year we would be a year away with the youth and the suspensions. we are close and we have some major players of our own we will be needing to sign or extend, so no i'm not surprised we haven't spent money on "that guy". another good draft this year will help what we already have in place. lots of talent on defense in this one. :cool:

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would have been good spending big $$$ on Melvin Ingram, or maybe Chandler Jones, but both guys were franchised. At that point, I had no interest in a $10+ million/year signing from another team. I don't want to sign someone else's corner to a big deal. Those deals almost never work. I honestly can't think of any big corner signings (with a change in teams) that have paid long-term dividends other than Talib to Denver, and I'm not sure that the Talib signing would have done much to help them without that monster inside/outside pass rush. Corners have value, but to me it's all about the pressure.

25. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    They've made the effort...
    They are simply staying true to their plan and cost structure... If they sign an 11 million dollar corner, that means they lose a few players next year and we begin complaining about those holes.

It's a delicate balance... the cap that is