1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHIFF!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 15, 2017.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree and if you took my statement wrong let me clear it up Ab and Bell got what they got and I am not upset with that. I am in favor of paying them they are play makers, no regrets here. Brady has given the Cheats a break and that was what I was pointing out none of our guys besides JH have.

2. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Pretend that you're a fan of another team and you just found out that you're guyz just signed Antonio Brown to a long term contract and got La'veon Bell for the upcoming season. Feel pretty good about their FA signings now?

• Like Like x 1
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I stated we keep guys to ling most of the time should have let Timmons,Gay,JJ, and Wheaton go before last season. We could have got some draft picks for this year and had a bunch more cap space... Another place that KC has failed is the drafting of the CB and Safety spots ...The main problem is they have valued the LB spot to high and now the CB and Safety spots are the most Important to Teams besides the QB spot...If we had been loading up on DB'S we would have no problem trading for the players we needed ...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    What you said is ignorant.

It's dumb from every angle.

From the Steelers perspective, why trade good solid veterans when trying to win a Super Bowl?
    From the Other perspective, why trade draft picks for a single year of a high cap hit player who is either on the downside of their career (Timmons) or a total bust (Jones)

It's like everything you think you know about football comes from Franchise mode.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Franchise mode is how the Pats get it done...Those Veterans didn't help us win the Superbowl so that's why you trade them...If you don't intend on signing that high cap hit player and you don't think you can win it all then that's exactly why you trade him....I also found another article that the Pats only had 4 DB'S on the field for 17 % of the snaps in 2015 that means they ran nickle or dime 83 % of the time...

Wheaton even had he stayed healthy and played great he would have wanted to much money so why stunt the growth of the young guys and give that player away the next season for nothing ?

The Pats show you how to build Teams they make moves like the ones I suggest every year they trade up or down almost every year in the draft they are not afraid to make moves while KC plays it safe ...The results speak for themselves , we can not beat NE unless we make some bold moves...We desire to be like them according to KC and Coach T ,but we will never be like them until we decide to take some calculated chances ...

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I was just adding to the conversation :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What about the teams that lose to NE that do splurge in FA? Hows it working for them?

8. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, and it's not really a good thing. The defense is too poor to fix with the draft alone, just too many holes. Until that is shored up the Big three will only take us so far.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    How many holes do you think there are?

I see two glaring needs. Another corner and edge rusher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that WE MUST FIGURE OUT A WAY TO SHORE UP OUR SECONDARY! Kevin Colbert has failed miserably in that objective. We go out and find the Bryce McCains and Antwon Blakes in the discount bin while other teams are going out and signing top flight, playmaking DBs to the fold. The fact is that this is a pass happy league and even the rules favor passing teams. The teams that place a premium on the secondary and are willing to pay, even slightly above market value, are the teams that have been going to and winning Super Bowls the last few years. The Patriots recognize it. The Rats recognize it. The Broncos recognize it. Teams MUST have a strong, secondary with playmakers and ballhawks in order to compete in today's pass happy league.

Go back and look at the last 5 Super Bowls. The secondaries of the teams in those games averaged 13 INTs per season. I'm just talking the CBs and the Safeties only. During that same stretch, The Steelers DBs have averaged 8 INTs per season!

Colbert needs to get with the program. There were a few upper tier CBs available in the free agent pool but the teams who really place a premium on them, the Pats and Rats among them, gobbled them up while we were in the basement trying to find a good deal! This blatant disregard for what has become one of the most important units in football is getting old!

11. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Those veterans absolutely helped us get to the AFC championship game.

Your suggestion that we should just assume we can't win it all and trade all our veteran high cap hit players is definitely a new highlight in your ever growing list of fundamentally stupid statements

Yea, it's all those moves that give the Patriots the edge :rolleyes:

12. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    The way to beat the Pats was to trade Timmons, Jones, and Wheaton before the season... damn you Colbert :shakefist:

13. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe Colbert should start thinking outside the box a little more...:hmm:

14. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Let's be fair... Colbert finally invested two premium picks in two high end DB prospects. Both of those guys started for most of the 2nd half of the year. Realistically, the biggest improvement in our secondary was always going to come from the natural progression of high end talent in it's second year.

Who cares how many INTs a secondary averages? It's not a predictable stat. It is a highly volatile and unpredictable statistic.

8 of the top 12 teams in the league in INTs missed the playoffs...(Baltimore, SD, CAR, CIN, TB, PHI, ARI, MIN)

Pittsburgh and New England were middle of the league (tied with 13 INTs each)

Seattle and Dallas (contenders) were near the bottom of the league...

INTs are not a useful stat

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Why? He's got one of the winningest records of any modern GM, and just went to the AFC Championship game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    More than half of Pittsburgh's INTs came from the backers, not the secondary. The stat I cited above references DBs only.

I'm not saying secondary INTs are the end all be all, but they sure are an indication that we've got DBs that understand how to make a play on the ball.

Burns and Davis are a good start but we have a long way to go.

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I don't find INT stats to be a good indicator of anything. Majority of INTs are produced by deflections, bad QB decisions, pass rush, etc. Very few INTs are the result of corners making playmaker plays. Good Man to Man corners take players out of the game, eliminating throws, and thus reducing their potential for INTs.

Some systems are designed to limit/take away other plays and don't put corners in position to make INTs (Steelers).

It's not a useful statistic to understand team strengths or weaknesses...

18. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I'm the GM..... In FA I want to shore up our depth chart ....

I wanted Marcus Cooper... Instant upgrade over Shabazz and Golson.

I wanted a WR to upgrade Cobi and DHB.... Hunter does this..( I missed on this but Colbert didn't )

I want a RB... Either Lacy or Latavious Murray....

Edge, safety and ILB would be nice but he market is just Too thin compared to what we have.

Draft an Edge in rd 1or 2.
    Also in those rds would be a CB BUT a top safety in RD 1 would be nice , we'd just shift Davis to slot CB.

Really need a RB with one of the two 3rd rd picks .

Cajun

19. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    You and Kevin Colbert.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Man I don't see it, our weak spots come from age and speed. Timmons is gone that has to help the pass coverage, I am thinking/hoping we have seen the last of Gay. We get Heyward back so that will help the pass rush. Where are the holes.....pass rushing olb, ok this draft is loaded and with us bringing back JH where are we suppose to put a big FA? I think we are pretty good with Artie and Cockrell, again this draft class is loaded there. Other than ILB and another CB where are the holes. I will say this again scheme is just as much to blame if not MORE than talent as far as our loss to the Cheats go.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We don't know if Gholson will stay healthy. Cockrell and Mitchell are average. Gay is getting older. I'm still not convinced that Burns is physical enough to be a top CB. As you can tell, I am not a fan of the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Why? It is simple.

He has underachieved as a GM much like Tomlin has as a coach!

Blame Colbert and Tomlin!

RPO!! You should know better! I am ashamed of you! :lolol::roflmao:

23. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Yea, good thing we didn't sign AJ Bouye and his 1 INT last year :rolleyes:

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

We underachieved! Do you not understand what this means?

Blame Colbert!

Blame Tomlin!!

25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    So I guess no one is to blame for our perennial crapfest k/a a secondary. Fine, let's keep the status quo and keep signing those lower tier soft zone guys that Brady eats for lunch.