1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers place original pick tender on Cockrell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SanDiegoSteel, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Mel Blount being that exception drafted in the 3rd round of the 1970 draft.......

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A zone assignment is not Rocket Science..A outside CB either has short,middle, or long and if you get confused take the guy going deep when that happens the deep guy can come up and make a play on the shorter routes..If your at Safety and they call a Corner Blitz from your side 99 % of the time you have deep ....

If you have better man players then they have that speed and agility to jump a route from zone coverage and make splash plays ...This is huge as you need the QB to second guess his read, if the QB can just sling it at will without thinking you are playing poor Defense....The first way to make him think is him not knowing the coverage if you can't play man then that's gone before the game even starts ....We need a DB that the QB and their Coach is worried about every great Defense has one or more than one we have none at the moment and we should be going all out to change that...

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes and he was a great one..There have been a few more , but most great DB'S are so skilled they simply dominate in College ...As stated above we need at least 1 dominate DB it would do wonders for this Defense...

4. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    We're not going to get a dominate corner in FA on the cheap, Burns had a good rookie year and should be better this year, and he will be a dominate corner in year 3 or 4, but building through the draft a team has to live with the growing pains it takes to get their high draft picks to that dominating level of play we all want to see, Davis will get there too in a couple of years, it's just a slow process..........

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well we need to speed it up while we still have a QB...Combine some picks move up and get the better DB instead of waiting , use future picks trade a player, do something to get better talent..

6. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Well I agree with targeting the better DBs, we did draft 2 DBs in the 1st and 2nd round last year, at least they are starting to think about the secondary but they cant stop now, go after the more talented players in the draft and be more aggressive........

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    "if you get confused take the guy going deep..." - send that one to Lake. He needs to immediately teach this ground breaking zone concept. I give up.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It isn't ground breaking it's just how simple a zone can be ..Football 101 don't get beat deep whether your in man or zone or a combo of the 2 ...If we blow an assignment it's the short zone we miss it's that simple to teach Man CB'S and Safeties.. So how guys are able to catch 3rd. and 18 on a zone coverage for 19 yards just blows my mind ...He should be at the sticks and dare the QB to throw it into that zone a HS DB would know that..

9. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    This is what happens when you literally know nothing about football other than watching on TV... your comments on zone, or how to play 3rd and 18 by waiting at the sticks, are simply ignorant... and that's why it blows your mind.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If they don't get 18 yards they don't get the 1st...When the Pats have a Team in 3rd. and 18 they will give you the short throw ,but they make a line of Defense at the first down marker you don't get that throw ..Are you the DB Coach for the Steelers? If so it is ok to give up a 12 yard out on 3rd. and 18 so move the damn zone back to the sticks don't play the 5 yard out or drop 25 yards deep ...

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So glad you have a grasp of X's and O's at the Pop Warner level. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just wished our DB'S had that same grasp..

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I know what you mean but that was with DL

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    this will be a good year to load up on the secondary. very deep cb draft. quality too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    DL wasn't here for Gilbert

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think this was the smart play for him. This gives then a chance to keep a decent back if they must

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I see Cockrell signed his tender. Good to have him back. I know he is becoming a bit of a whipping boy in the secondary but I'm glad he's back.
    :towel:

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good signing...and got him back for cheap

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Why I just don't know.... He's no pro bowler, but we can beat anyone with him and Burns on the outside if our interior coverage and pass rush are up to snuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Might be that his last game was his worst of the season. Obviously in an important spot. Dosent erase the good work he's done since he got here.

Little personal story on something that made me like Cockrell a little bit more.

On this past Christmas eve, a group of us were outside the Penn hotel in pittsburgh watching the Steelers arrive for their Christmas party. Every member arrived one by one driving luxury cars, luxury SUVS, huge trucks and then some older model Toyota corolla pulls up and exit Ross Cockrell.

Granted he is new to the league and doesn't make that much anyway, but still kind of struck me that the guy has his head on straight.

22. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I think the main point about Cockrell is that he played just fair. But we need an upgrade there and at the slot corner, and OLB if we want to go to the next level. A better ball hawking type safety then Mitchell weren't hurt and it would also help the corners out. Then we will have a defense to compete with the best of them.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we talked about that back in the day when tunch played. he had like an old suburban if memory serves me. :smiley1::cool:

24. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm with you SteelCity. I like Cockrell. 1st game he was in for us, he was the reason we beat the rats. Had a fumble recovery and I think a pick. not sure on the pick though

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :shrug:

I like Ross. Way better then that bum Blake but I guess that's not hard to do. The Steelers have stated that they are going to draft/go after corners that can also play man coverage. Go figure...