1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Combine Talk

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Mar 3, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    josh jones a 6-1 220lb. flyer that hits well, shaquill griffen (whom we've met with) and awuzie helped themselves today also. awuzie could play slot or FS. :cool:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    SJ had a good day and Mayock even compared his skills to that of Peters. I agree the combine gets to much attention. I am not big on the combine I like to see what these guys do in the game. JMO

Here is a good read:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ackson-sidney-jones-shine-among-deep-db-class

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the combine is more important than that, you need to look at the right drills.

You need to weigh both film and test results. The hardest part about evaluating film is whether what you see will transcend to the NFL level. The talent these guys face at the college level on a week to week basis pales in comparison to what they face in the NFL week to week.

If they are from a small school, I dont care what a guys college film/stat line looks like, if he has stiff hips, poor footwork, doesn't have fluid movements, he is going to have a hard time doing it at the next level. Its easier for me to pick up those flaws in drills than on film.

I think combine results are probably most critical for DB's and pass rushers but every position has telling drills that can expose weaknesses.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This is not even accounting for his character issues either.

5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I am not saying the combine is junk I am just saying stiff hips poor footwork etc show up in game film. As far as competition goes well you are looking at it wrong, don't look at the results look at the ability. For example Matakevich had big numbers as far as tackles in college, however he didn't test well and so many said he was slow. If he was so slow why was he in on so many tackles.....the answer is cause he is smart and can read the play. The combine don't show that. jmo

I like a lot of the drills there heck me and a few fathers use them with our kids and their teammates during our summer drills. But I do not think a guy should be or not be drafted cause he did a drill well or he ran fast or jumped high. I need more, I need to see this guy in action and I need to see him make plays. Does a CB fall for a double move or can he read the run fast enough.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, like I said, you need to weigh both. Popular phrase is its just football in shorts. No, its more important than that and exposes flaws.

Disagree with you about competition level, not looking at it wrong at all. If I was, no one would ever miss on a draft prospect.

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I apologize if you took offense for me saying your looking at it wrong, didn't mean no disrespect let me rephrase it. I look at competition level DIFFERENT, there are plenty of small school guys that do well and there are plenty of guys who don't get drafted(JH) or drafted low(AB and Brady) who turn out to be studs. This is an age old battle and if anyone could figure it out they would hit on every prospect and win every year.:smiley1:

I am not saying the combine isn't useful I am just saying a guy shouldn't fly up the charts based on it. Let's look at WR Ross, the dude lit up the combine with his 40. Now does he climb up cause of the 40, cause all that I have read on him was he was fast which he proved. That 40 shouldn't have made him climb cause so many knew he was probably the fastest guy there. Every year there are guys that surprise and that is great, I remember Dustin Keller lit up the combine and moved way up. IMO that shouldn't happen, yes the measurable are great and yeah the drills are very useful my problem is with it shooting a guy way up. JMO

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt, no worries, just dont think I am :lolol:

Im more interested in drills that show hips and foot work, I think thats very important. And tests that show explosion and burst.

The 40 is a glorified stat. I dont know enough about Ross to comment because I haven't looked at him, Im not real concerned with WR in this draft. May look at that later.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I do like the drills but just can't put a guy way up on my board cause of drills.....show me that on the field. Like I said I am not against the combine it does have good dills, I heard PK say on Sirius yesterday that the 2 most important things at the combine were the interviews and the measurable.

Oh and I agree the 40 is overrated, the think about the combine for me is a chance to see guys I never would of watched. Now I am talking about me not a NFL team, imo all NFL teams should know all they can about everyone since that is their job. Me I am a casual fan who comes to a message board(while working lol) to talk with all you guys about a handful of prospects.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, bunch of names I didnt know about now on my radar. Mayock was saying this may be the deepest DB class he can remember. Good for us, should be able to find a couple somewhere in this draft.

For the most part, I am working backwards this year. Usually Ill watch some guys on draft breakdown and then look at the combine. This year Im getting names and guys that looked good to me from the combine and seeing how they measure up on tape.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I love this graft class over all, WR-TE-CB-OLB-RB are all super deep and yeah you have 1st rounders in there but the talent imo don't fall off to far for rounds 2-4. Check out Cutrer, I talked about him before not much film on him but the little I saw I liked a ton.....very comparable to Harlan Miller for me from last year.

If you can't tell for my post I try to find the 3-5 round gems. I feel there is so much info on the 1st two round guys that I concentrate more about later on. I love the Shrine game and it helps with the later round guys too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So, undrafted FA talent???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Miller drafted round 6, and a steal at that by the way....:bowdown:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Harlan Miller :lolol:

I had forgotten all about him for the last 11 months.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Joe Haden had bad numbers at the combine ran a 4.7, then improved his time at his pro day to become a first round pick.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So did the entire NFL!

• Like Like x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    isn't that the guy that sales beer in our section?:smiley1::cool:

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team