1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Combine Talk

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not likely, but I think it's easily the most likely of any offensive position. I think we go defense though.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We use to alternate pretty routinely between O and D in round 1 for years. Been since 2012 since we've gone O. It wouldn't surprise me if we go offensive side of the ball, and I think TE could be the target. Would make sense. Don't think it's what I do, but would not be surprised to see a big red zone TE go in round 1.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think with guys like Ross(who knocked it outta the park) with his 40 and some other guys doing well there are always guys moving down. I think CB-TE-RB-WR-OLB-S all could be in play depending on how the Steelers board shapes up. One thing to keep in mind the Steelers do like to go BPA and that this year could be anything, imo.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Kpaassagnon is a physical specimen. Talk about a HWS prospect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Engram is small for TE, at 6-3 233 I dont know if NFL teams will see him fitting in as a TE or just a big wideout, he certainly wont be able to block on the line against big NFL D lineman at his size.....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Nope, but he can handle a LB in space ok. Guys like him can present matchup problems. Think Aaron Hernandez minus the gang-banging serial killer tendencies.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. There are other positions Id rather have for sure at 30 but its early in my evaluations and no one is jumping out to me yet. If nothing else is there, I would not be opposed to a TE being the pick.

As far as OJ not being there, Hunter Henry was tabbed to go in the first rd and lasted until the 2nd and this is much deeper TE class. QB, DB's, Edge Rushers, OT's, are more in demand than TE's. Harder to predict where they will go.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He's one of my dirty little secrets. Was hoping we'd be able to grab him in the 4th or 5th, but its looking like we may have to pull the trigger on him at 2 if we want him. Maybe three, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Still go Howard, Njoku, Engram 123, but Shaheen is looking like #4.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I think those 4 TEs everyone is talking about all go in the first 2 rounds. Still trying to determine if any go in round 1. Have to see how the Top 32 overall stack up.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Haason Redick ran a 4.52, still don't like him as a OLB at #30.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tim Williams looks like Jarvis Jones when he came out, too skinny at 244 lbs and Williams has failed drug tests no thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Lots of baggage with Tim Williams. Still interesting, but due dilligence is needed.

13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Here is the way I am looking at this draft right now. I feel our Dis young and improving each year, we are known to be offensive heavy team. With that said I feel we weren't as dominate on the offensive side of the ball as I thought we should be. If adding a TE-WR-RB in round one helps us get there I am fine with that. If we can put up 40 every game that is like it's own defense, my point being a big weapon of offense can be like getting a defensive player.

I also have said this class is loaded in rounds 2-4 with players who can be starters at OLB-CB-S. I would have no problem if we didn't go defense in the 1st round but we do need to make sure in rounds 2-4 we load up, jmo.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree but I don't see a WR worthy besides Davis,Williams and Ross who I think will be gone....TE to me would have to be Howard or Njoku. We are already on the same page with Mccaffrey. If we do go D first I'm liking what I see from Reddick,I think his versatility can be a weapon. Edge is looking deep with value 2-4...like Sidney Jones a lot but he seems to be moving up the boards. So in a nutshell I agree with the premise of bolstering the O but I think there are only a couple guys that are worthy of the 1st pick...if not we have to go defense and hope our questions are answered in house on O....

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bowser and biegel and rivers nice runs. :cool:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    watt 4.70 flat. did increase some weight too. 252 lbs. :cool:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Josh Carraway is a name to keep tabs on. DE that can move to 34 LB, 4th rd. Looked sharp to me, good fluid movements. His weaknesses can be coached up, IMO. His fluid hips, explosiveness and twitch, can't. Good traits for edge rusher.

18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think Tak McKinley just put himself out of our range with his workout.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he was already out of range, unfortunately. NFL Network's pre-combine mock had him going 11th to the Saints. Maybe his shoulder surgery will drop him to us since he'll be out 4-6 months, but that's probably the only chance at this point.

20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'll tell ya, Jarvis Jones has ruined me when evaluating olb's. If the guy doesn't run a freakin 4.6, I go "Nah, don't need another Jarvis Jones." He's made me not trust anything.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would like to go TE but after a trade down with someone picking in the top ten of the 2nd round. I think Engram's value is right there, but if we stay at 1:30 I am not sure. Jacksonville and San Fran have 12 picks this year and may look to jump into the end of the first. Fingers crossed.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I really liked what Ethan Cooper did in the O-line drills as the commentors pointed out. Guard out of IUP. Smaller school but represented himself very well.

Taylor Moton looked good too, I'll have to see some games on these guys.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this, I really feel like there are some WR's from round 3 on that could be good players for us. Rudolph, Reynolds, Canno, Etta-Tawo, Yancey, Robinette, Whitfield and Carr are some. I am liking Reddick but feel guys like Phillips, Fields, Rivers, Wise and Willis can be had later and not far if any off in talent. It is funny you mention Sidney Jones cause I have been hearing a lot on Sirius about him. I want to watch a little on him but all I am hearing, if he is there at 30...IF we need to run that card up.

I can't wait for the post combine mocks to come out to see who has fallen in the "experts" eyes and who has jumped. I am thinking Ross put himself into the top 20 and that is great for I cause there is a guy coming down to us, a name I would love to see fall is Cunningham. He is my DD this year, a guy we all feel won't be there but if he is it will be like Christmas morning to me.......lol.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Shouldn't even bother looking at the 40 as an indicator for rushing the QB.

Vertical, broad jump, 3 cone, shuttle are what you look at for LBs/edge rushers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    If I remember right Moton had a pretty bad Senior Bowl. I can't remember off hand so many players hard for me to remember everything.