1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeper pick at edge rusher

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Jan 29, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if he's back from his broken leg complications josh williams from arkansas may be a sleeper that could be added as an UDFA. he ended up with staph infection and almost lost his leg. i think thats behind him now. 6-1 249 and runs a 4.59. could be another canidate as an ILB. :cool:

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    He's nothing like Dri Archer.. he breaks tackles. Maurice Jones Drew is the same height. Tarik plays the game different than Dri. Dri was just fast. He had 0 moves. He used his speed to get around people.. Tarik got crazy agility and strong for a lil guy.. with GREAT HANDS!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    I guarantee he's not in shape at 6'1 250.. and doesnt run a 4.59 anymore... especially after almost losing is leg like Al Haj Shabazz on our practice squad.

4. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Can Dri do this?

Btw.. did you not see the clip of Tarik running through a couple tackles?

5. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Dri lacked vision, moves and was just soft asf. He only relied on speed to beat people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Hmmm.. Muggsy Bogues was 5'3 137. Jakeem Grant 5'5 161.. plays for the dolphins. Dexter McCluster 5'8 170 plays for the Chargers. Trindon Holliday 5'5 161.. plays for the Raiders. Taylor Gabriel.. 5'8 167.. plays for the Falcons. (Made plays all year for them) Travis Benjamin plays for Chargers.. 175lbs. Tavon Austin Rams.. and De'Anthony Thomas Bills.. 5'8 175. Ty Hilton Colts 179lbs. Desean Jackson Skins 178.

I think size is highly overrated, I think it's about actually being able to play and skills set.

Look at Tarik's body frame.. he's got a lot of muscle for his size. Not too much to were it will slow him down but great for a scat back at which Tomlin wants.

I looked average size scat backs like Alvin Kamara.. he didnt impress me at all. He only uses jis speed to beat people. If there is no hole.. he wont be productive.

Tarik turned a botched handoff.. into a 50yrd gain.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. StillHERNation

Feb 7, 2017
    Tarik Cohen ave 18.8 carries per game.
    6.5 yrds per carry his career. That's 122 rushing yards per game.

10.3yrds per catch. Career numbers.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please no more gadget players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing is more important than a pass rush. Once NE neutralized Atlantas, Brady picked them apart, couldn't even protect a 25 point lead in 1 1/2 qtrs. When Giants beat NE, it was pass rush, Denver beat them with pass rush.

Pass rusher should be their number 1 priority this draft.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow agreeing with you two times this month, this has to be a record LOL.:) We will see soon enough.
    Man to man cb's & safety's also has to be taught/ aquired if we are ever going to beat Tom Brady.
    Football is not a complicated game, Can you beat the man in front of you?

• Like Like x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    as BF said though, when the pats neutralized atlantas, brady picked them apart. yep, we need db's just as bad and an offense like NE that can go down and score at will. a pass rusher is only part of what we need to add to beat them.:cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    3 times, agree on this too!

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    why are all these guys considered dri archer? really? thats some shallow thinking. how about a lacrosse player? how about a couple of DE's or TE's that move to tackle? how about a DT that moved to FB? not everything is as it seems. somebody is going to get a good RB in pumphrey. you just don't carry the ball that much and beat records of marshall faulk that easily. it's not like we would draft him to replace bell. he would be in addition to bell and FT or karlos. be a tired defense and have to deal with this type of runner. nothing wrong with a guy that can break one at any time after having to deal with a guy like bell for most of the game. :facepalm::cool:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why the Steelers should double dip at pass rusher, within the first 4 rounds draft 2 pass rushers and get a CB.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont like smurfs at RB, Mac, really as simple as that.

The NFL is a different beast. Sure, there has been some successful ones, I dont think its worth the gamble.

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    daeshon hall and jordan willis. two guys with a lot of upside and the physical attributes we are looking for. they just need some refining as OLB'ers. since we have JH and chickillo sitting here for us for two years and chick for this one, i wouldn't be opposed to two guys like this learning from him and being eased into the lineup. probably available in the 3rd and 4th rounds to us. what ya think? :cool:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like him, but where would he play? They already have two DEs, Campbell would be out of their price range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    not interested in Willis at all above the 6th round tbh. I don't know much about Hall. Willis just runs up the arc every single time it seems.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree, but I'm on board with them drafting a DE to develop if the right one is there in the 5th or later. Jarron Jones maybe?? Two Golden Domers on the d-line?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think either guy would start early in their career. thats why i want them learning for a year at least. they have a ton to work with but need refined as olb'ers. while we have two guys here that can play now. ease these guys into the position to payoff in time. they have the size and speed, we just need to teach them how to use it. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers Depot reports Steelers met with Tanoh Kpassagnon at combine.

Holy cow that dude is tall! Like Jevon Kearse back in the day.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Pumphrey is too light to be a feature back in the NFL. He's no Devonta Freeman (5'8" 200+ lbs.). However, these talented smaller RBs can help a team if they are used in a way that plays to their strengths. I think some were really put off by Dri Archer. That was an unfortunate lapse of judgement by our scouts and front office. All anyone needed to do was watch his college tape to see that he was a pure straight line athlete, and I frankly have no idea what the hell we were thinking. That's water under the bridge though. I have not yet had time to watch film on Pumphrey so I can't comment on him yet, but I have watched the tapes of Tarik Cohen that are on the Draft Breakdown site, and he is NOT Dri Archer. He may be the closest thing we've seen to Darren Sproles since Sproles was drafted. I know a lot of short guys get compared to Sproles just because of size, but Cohen shows strength, vision, quick change of direction, and hands. He looks like a football player through and through, and he looks to potentially be a productive change of pace/return/slot guy on the NFL if used correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Tarik managed 11 reps on the bench press, second to last among the rbs at the combine. Donnell Pumphrey, who I had liked, managed 5. For a guy who's being pimped as incredibly strong for his size, with short arms he should have at least been in the high teens.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i haven't seen him pimped as incredibly strong for his size. pumphrey is incredibly quick in his style while on the move making ankle breaking moves while running. he's not a feature back. we have that already. :cool: