1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll - If it came down to these guys for round 1

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by turtle, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Charles Harris - OLB

2. TJ Watt - OLB

3. Christian McCaffrey - RB

4. Carl Lawson - OLB

5. Marlon Humphrey - CB

6. Jabrill Peppers - CB/S

7. Gerald Everett - TE

8. Jarrad Davis - ILB

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    What's the deal with Peppers? We gonna play him at Davis' SS spot and move him to FS? Peppers is ultra athletic but seems to be a tweener. Not a great cover guy and only one career int. I don't even have him on the draft board for me if I'm the Steelers. He's a 4-3 OLB only IMO. That's just me

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kind of answered your own question there.

Not being arrogant or combative either.

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    As it stands though... I can see Peppers falling that far now than I initially did.

4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

In the box safety.

Sean's true potential lies within his range. As such, move him to Free Safety or even employ a defensive formation known as a "Big Nickel" package and have Mitchell, Davis, and Peppers on the field at the same time.

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    then we would have two safeties that can't cover. if that SB and AFCCG taught us anything it was you better have very good cover DB's and a pass rush. :cool:

6. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Peppers cant cover. Why do you want him?

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Trying to figure out where to play him is the head scratcher for the scouts, he's a great athlete who can play on both the O and the D and being a utility player at michigan he never mastered just one position which isnt a good thing going into a draft, a team needs to know where they expect their draft pick to play, with this guy they cant put him at any one position:

Projection: Late 1st round
    Right now scouts are wary of Peppers. They love his physical prowess to a man but fear his lack of progression as a complete safety. That’s too much of a red flag to consider taking with a top 10 or 15 pick but there will be one team in the late 1st willing to take the risk. He just has way too much upside to let slip too far.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the college game and the pro game are so different. not in the first would i ever take him. :cool:

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This quote is taken from a quote from MarkBerger.com about the 2003 NFL Draft regarding Troy Amuna Polamalu:

"Troy Polamalu (USC, 5-10, 206) According to both the BLESTO and National scouting combines, Polamalu is the top senior safety prospect in the 2003 draft. MVP of his team last year. Ran an amazing 4.35-40 and vertical jumped 43" at his "Pro day" workout, but isn't considered very good in coverage. Is short by NFL standards and he has a history of injuries (i.e., 2003 Orange Bowl). Late 1st -early 2nd round"

This story about Peppers being unable to cover and Troys just seems all too familiar.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow nice find, I really hope if we do end up drafting Peppers he "can't cover" like Troy....lol!

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    A lot of these draft profiles are fun to go back and read. Im pretty sure Bens said something along the lines that he's not good evading the pass rush or no mobility, something like that :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think this whole draft is kind of average across the board. not a lot of big time difference makers in it. this happens when so many come out early in prior drafts. scouts have to dig hard in these types. :cool:

13. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Peppers seems like the typical Raiders pick. They take him because hes a freak athlete then he's a bust. Go get the pass rusher opposite Dupree (for long term) in Rd 1. I dont know much about Lawson but everything I've read and seen on Harris looks good. Is Lawson better than Harris?

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think harris is any different than what we already have in chickillo. not sure that long term edge rusher is in this one for us at our pick. a lot to choose from with the same similar talent level that is really average from what i can see. lawsons injury history is my concern. we need a guy on the field. i still think watt has the upside and knowledge of our defense.

if it came down to peppers, i'd rather we went with desmond king from iowa instead. he's done it for 4 years. much better ball skills and still tackles well. he's steady eddie. i think he could be a good safety for us. i wouldn't be opposed to him or watt. :cool:

15. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    Is safety really that glaring of a need? Have mitchell for a few more years and Davis has the looks of a longtime starter. I agree Mitchell isnt the best but he has a few years left and I think another CB or edge rusher is a greater need now.

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes it is and no to Mitchell for a few more years, one at the most he is signed for 2 but maybe he becomes a cut after next year and we get younger and faster there. This draft class is pretty deep so imo this is a perfect time to grab one and let him learn and if he is ready by 2018 we let Mitchell go. Just a thought

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Deep at several positions. This is a good draft to find yourself picking late, should still be able to find good players picking at 30.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Am I wrong for saying this draft is loaded in rounds 2-4? Wasn't last years draft the same, I kinda remember saying rounds 2-4 had some big time players....you know like Harlan Miller.......:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shrug::shrug::drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Who's your Harlan Miller this year???

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Omg Blast that is to funny cause when I wrote this I was like who is it this year.....I really haven't looked a whole lot yet but as you can tell if you have been reading my posts I love Hunt and McGuire at RB, I like Moreau CB from UCLA and I need to see more on Hairston from Temple. There are a ton of later round OLB types but I like Rivers and Handerickson. These are all mid round guys, I haven't found that late rounder that stands out I am hoping it will be the S from St. Francis Jerome. You?

21. SanDiegoSteel

Nov 16, 2016
    My late round pick is Trey Hendrickson from Florida atlantic. He was defensive end but is likely a LB in the NFL. He dated my cousin and is a family friend.

• Like Like x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Let me add a few more names Blast, McQuay from USC has my interest, as does Zay Jones WR all guys that I saw in the Shrine game and Senior bowl.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    king can play both. golden and dangerfield are not enough if we have an injury either. shamarko is probably gone i'd hope. davis isn't the problem back there. just because we get a safety also doesn't mean we don't address other positions. woodley was a 2nd rounder. :cool:

24. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think this whole idea of an "in the box" safety is outdated. Give me two center fielders out there.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Im just starting, have no sleepers yet.

I like TE's Everett and Butt and CB King so far.

• Like Like x 1