1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New Backup QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bouben17, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Bouben17

Bouben17 Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Hii Guys, im new here, and i wonder what your opinion is.
    Should we sign another QB in the Offseason as a free Agent?
    Or draft One?
    Or are you lucky with Landry Jones?
    Which one you wanna see behind Big Ben or later as our Starter QB?
    Thanks for your opinion im very excited for your comments.
    Greeds Bouben

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well to answer your questions, in my opinion, we dont sign a FA QB in the off season since we have 3 signed already with the expectatation of LJones getting a new deal, of course if LJ goes then we could go for a FAgent:

We can draft a QB this draft but not with a high pick this isnt a very good QB class..

For your next question who do we want to be the next starter after Ben, I think that question wont be answered until Ben announces he is playing his last season, then a whole lot of options will be discussed as to the future starting QB for this team and a whole lot of fan panic will be like an avalanche consuming this board.........And welcome to this board by the way, keep involved because no one here has all the answers..

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    wait..... what......... not all the answers:beee:

welcome to the board.

UDFA route would be my thinking this year. re-sign landry if possible. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bouben17

Bouben17 Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Okay thanks for your Opinions. You have right in a lot of what you say. But i wonder what Type of QB do you like to see in the next years by the Steelers. I mean on the FA Market there is not much, maybe Cousins, but the rest i think we dont need in our System. But i think a QB with running skills can change a lot.. What do you mean?

5. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i think with all the rules to protect wrs and qbs that basically make playing cb almost impossible ill take a qb that is very accurate and can move in the pocket.

i dont like the running qb. dont get me wrong a guy like Aaron Rogers that can run is great, but hes a passer before a runner. arguably the best in the game.

Ben can move in the pocket and has a big arm, but his downfall is hes not always accurate. hes well above average and probably a top 5 to 8 qb, but if he had a little better accuracy to go along with his ability to keep a play alive and that big arm he would be top 2 or 3.

top 5 to 8 or top 2 to 3 might not sound like a huge deal, but thats the difference between Ben and Brady. Ben has 2 rings which is great. Brady has 5 which is amazing. just look at the history of the game. running qbs dont usually win super bowls. just my opinion

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd take a very late round QB in the draft. FA isn't going to provide anything that Jones or Gradkowski won't be worthy of as back up to Ben. I wouldn't target anything in the 1st 4 rounds. DL is much more important.

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Re-sign Landry as much as it pains me, he will be better than anyone else for the money. I don't want them to waste a pick in the draft on a QB this year. Spend all your money (draft picks) on solidifying the defense so when Ben leaves, the new QB comes into a team that can take the burden off him. Much like how Ben entered the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Re-sign Landry, if there's a QB on the board in the 4th rd or later draft one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Would be something if Ben announced his retirement after 2017. Than we somehow get Jimmy Garrapolo.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Bring Kordell back

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Signing a free agent QB or drafting a QB in the later rounds would be beneficial to our team. Jones is either a good backup in the Steelers opinion or he hasn't had much competition in the preseason. This is why we kept him ever since we drafted him. Even then, our first priority is to draft our needs.

Possibly signing these FA QB's could help our backup situation: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

If we do decide to get one, then these are the QB's that we should look at in the draft: https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Stay with Landry, I mean he came closer to beating New England than Ben did

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Good point, but The Patriots played better in the AFC championship game IMO. We just didn't show up that day and you can't put all the blame on Ben. The young defense couldn't keep up with New England's offense and some of the Steeler receivers dropped passes. Plus, Bell got injured early in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Interesting. Of the FAs available, I don't see anyone who is both cheap enough and an upgrade from LJ. Of the list, the only guy I'd bring in would probably be Barkley, and I doubt he would usurp Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bouben17

Bouben17 Member

Feb 14, 2017
    And in your Opinion for which QB would you decide?
    I like guys, like Cousins, hes much alike Ben. Good Arm and not soo movable..
    But the other way i like Kaepernick a lot, he can get easy first downs with his running skills, and the defense has one problem more to cover.
    But we have also to see the prize range between a young QB and a veteran.. And for a Backup, i think the less money you pay is better.
    What you thinking about?

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    So if they resign LJ and all indications are they will, then why sign a FA QB with ZM who still has a year left on his contract that gives them 3 QBs so if they sign a 4th one, which one of them will go to the practice squad, so who goes to the PS, ZM or the FA guy?????

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Mine just did......#$@#$%. Sorry but I know this has been beat to death but no way in hell do I want to give LJ 3+ mil....... NO EFFIN WAY!!!!!! I don't feel we can win with LJ and that is why I don't want the Steelers to spend that money, we imo can get the same results with ZM for 700k. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers feel Landry is better than 80% of the backups in the league, apparently they have voiced that, as per one of the beat writers. So to them, its money well spent.

This salary won't prevent them from doing anything, wouldn't worry about it.

Edit* lol, I didn't read the article before posting.

Opps :lolol:

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I see that and I have mixed emotions on the whole thing. On one hand LJ knows the system and with Ben's injury history that is a plus, but on the other hand imo I don't feel LJ could fill in long term if needed. With that thinking that is why I don't want to spend that kind of money on him, maybe my opinion is wrong and he can but I hope we don't ever have to find out.

As for the cap space don't be so sure of that. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me and I want to say that I can't remember when the last time we were this good vs the cap. I think we have like 40+ mil, so AB and Bell will eat half of that up, now we are dow to say 25 mil. About 5 mil for draft class, 3+ for LJ and we are quickly down to 17 mil. AV has to get done let's throw 4 mil there and we are at 13 mil, either a fa or sign Timmons back maybe another 4 mil....9 mil. That is just the start we have the Dwill/back up RB spot, cap space gets eaten up quickly and yes we are in good shape but we still are in a spot where we have to spend wisely. jmo

22. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    welcome to the group!!!!

23. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Well, it's like this: if Ben has a career ending injury -or retires- can we say with a straight face that we trust ANY of the current back-ups ???

I'll answer that for 99.9999% of Steeler Nation; H*LL NO !!!!

Just like Joe Montana-2-Steve Young, Bret Farve-2-Aaron Rodgers, etc... TIME TO SERIOUSLY START TO LOOK FOR SOMEONE BEN CAN PASS THIS TORCH TO !!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My point was more to the fact that if they find themselves in a position that they need 3million to sign a player they really want, they can make that happen. Its not a crippling number.

25. steelfan

steelfan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I see where the Steelers are coming from as far as LJ knowing the system, but he is no better a solution than Stoudt and Malone were when Bradshaw retired.We know how long and how many QBs it took before Ben. Just hope for luck in the draft a la Dak or trade for an up and coming young guy once they identify who that is, not really the Steelers way though.