1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Achilles heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 8, 2017.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    and here I thought this was gonna be a thread about Danny Smith.

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

he is the other achilles heel lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    And I'd just made a resolution to stay out of the gutter.

I'm not sure how much is mechanical and how much is mental. Ben's made throws this season - more than in the past, I think - that leave us scratching our heads.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Whatever he's doing he needs to stop. One pick can decide the game next week

5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    That was a hell of a play by James on that ball. Ben had no business even throwing that ball. And Jesse kind of looked like the tall kid in gym class who would just stand over everyone. He showed great hands on that one.

6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    That short game has served Brady quite well for the past 15 years. I'm quite okay with that if the Steelers have similar success with it.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We can have lots of success with it if Ben just buys in. I don't know Ben at all, but I get the impression that he wants to be the hero and doesn't want to just take what the defence gives him. He wants to go deep and make big plays. That's just my assumption. Either way, Ben has been really hurting us at times this year. The reality is that the offence now runs through Bell and KC has a weak run defence. We need to run the ball well and Ben has to take advantage of the defence trying to stop Bell. Don't throw into double coverage. Don't try to make something out of nothing. KC is too good for that. If it's not there, check down or throw it away. Don't be afraid to run the ball on 3rd and 5+. Get Bell going, have Ben play safe, smart football and we will win.

If Ben turns it over twice, we're going to lose. KC isn't Miami or Buffalo, they won't let us get away with that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think he's more like a hemorrhoid.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

They better cleanup that ST otherwise they are going to cost us a game maybe sooner then later . KC cough cough

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    That's a lot of the problem. Ben is very reluctant to do these things because he's had success not doing it in the past. He doesn't have that live to fight another day mentality very often. I just hope he doesn't force too many passes if he has lingering effects from the ankle or he gets them out of the way early so he and the coaches can adjust.

I loved the way he was spreading the ball around for most of the Miami game though. Would lile to see more of that vs KC in addition to a run heavy game plan as you mentioned.

On the opposite side is Alex Smith. He rarely takes risky shots. If they get down early, hopefully our defense makes him all the more uncomfortable and he tries some of those throws and makes some mistakes. 5 rushing TDs for him on the year, which may be something to monitor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If Ben isn't comfortable with the play, why wouldn't he change it?

12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben won his last 7 starts. He sure wasn't the reason they lost to Dallas. During the 4 game losing streak, Bell did not have a stellar performance. Just saying, losing was a team effort. Is there a specific game you are referring to?

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It might be his knee, but those INTs in Buffalo just seemed like really bad mind gaffes?

Ben as a rookie made better decisions in the redzone.

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    throw the flag
    cupping

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that makes me feel all funny down there.:hehehe::cool:

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What a load of crap.
    What tape are you watching? The game?

17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes. But it hit the DL right in the chest/face area first which caused ball to bounce high in the air and JJ grabbed it. Should have been an INT if it wasn't one of the big bodies.

18. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Wasn't Ben like 10-10 at one point in the Miami game? He has thrown some bad picks here lately but a few of them were just good plays by the defender. Some of his bad picks, like the 3rd and 2 deep bomb against buffalo, was just silly. Ben is still making some nice big boy throws out there though, anyone who can't see that must not be watching. There's no reason Ben can't play 4 more years. He was only sacked like 20 times this year, we have a young o line and a strong running game. But yeah the only reason we've made it this far is our D bailed us out. Ben needs to play int free from here on out.

19. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Buffalo was one game that came to mind. There's others over the course of the year. I just think the bad INT's will kill us against KC. They won't let us get away with that. He needs to play smarter against them.

20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm sure everyone's opinion here is the right one, or at least a combination of theories. My take...he is trying to hard (at times) to win the whole thing with his arm while throwing to some new guys...the result is some interceptions. I don't assume to know how he fills physically but I do know what I see. I actually think he (and the new receivers) are overachieving. Just my opinion!

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Ben has the football version of ADHD. He seems to be off of his Ritalin for at least a quarter, quarter and a half every game. He's laser focused for 2 or 3 quarters and then seems to expel a couple of huge brain farts which either allows a team we're seemingly blowing out (no pun intended) back into the game OR digs ourselves a huge hole that we have to scratch and claw out of.

One thing's for certain, Ben needs to be on his medication for the rest of the playoffs!

22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Ben is a lot like Brett Favre with going for the big plays and not checking down. It's kind of like training a Beagle to sit and not chase. It's all good in practice but when the time comes, it just can't resist.

• Like Like x 1
  23. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    And that's fine in the regular season because Ben makes lots of plays that way and if we lose, we'll come back and fight another day the following week. We just can't have that happen against KC, because that defence can burn us and Alex Smith is very safe with the ball and won't give us lots of chances to take the ball away. We will beat KC if Ben doesn't turn the ball over twice or more. If he does, we're going to be in serious trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No doubt.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    im fine with turning the ball over, when we are up 30 points and with 2 minutes left in the 4th.

seriously though, KC thrives on securing the ball and forcing turnovers. We did that to them in week 4 which is why it was so lopsided.