1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Achilles heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Jan 8, 2017.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure what's going on with Ben right now, but he doesn't seem to be on top of his game. He has streaks where he looks unbeatable and then just seems to lose focus and makes the kind of mental errors you see rookies make. You want your quarterback to play mistake free and turnover free football in the playoffs. He needs to eliminate the brain farts that have reared their ugly heads at various times throughout his career.

Ben has averaged nearly 2 interceptions in each of his last 4 games. Alex Smith averages a pick every other game and Brady has thrown 2 INTERCEPTIONS ALL SEASON!

I know Ben has come up big when he's had to, but part of the reason he's had to is because he's dug a hole with some stupid decision making. Not discrediting what Ben has done or is capable of doing, but when your quarterback is turning the ball over 2x a game you're living on borrowed time in the playoffs.

What do think is going on with Ben? Some have speculated that his knee may not be 100%. Is that it or does he just lose focus and revert to being stupid at times? We've got the team to go all the way but that starts and ends with Ben!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I wondering if the reliance on Bell is getting him out of rhythm. If you think about it, Ben always excels in the hurry up O, where he calls the shots, throws it 100% of the time, etc. Now it's run, run and pick your moments with the passing game, which hasn't been his strength in the past. No matter, can throw 2 picks on 18 PA!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Soon enough, Bell will get stuffed against some of these better defenses and we'll have to rely on Ben in the no-huddle/hurry-up situations. Overall, I think the Steelers offensive situation is in a good place.:towel:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think he's just pushing too hard. He needs to use his check downs or throw the ball away and quit forcing things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It seems to me Ben is not stepping into his throws like he was last year. Not sure if he is favoring his left knee. That's one reason his bad throws are usually high. He is fine on the shorter throws like he used in the first half today. Just don't know why we seem to get away from the short passes to Ely, Cobi, Ayers, they were playing great but we quit going to them in the second half.

Sometimes he focuses too much on AB. The one interception that went thru AB's hands he had an open Ely in a shorter pattern, looked right him and then decided to throw to AB.

This pattern with Ben has also happen in other games. I'm guessing with Ben you got to take the good with the bad, and live or die with him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he got bailed out on the high one to james too. something is going on with the high throws and i hate to say it but age and injuries could be a factor especially in the cold. the old adage hey doc it hurts when i do this, well don't do that. or he just gets excited. who knows? i wish he would quit it though. he makes my heart hurt.:facepalm::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that brown is the only wr with a lot of experience. I mean you don't see Rodgers, Hamilton, or any of those guys running wide open. I mean at least on some routes brown will have separation. I am gonna convince myself that he just doesn't have the bigger windows with these guys. they have earned no respect from dbs yet. just a theory.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I dunno.. A good number of his bad throws have been thrown straight to defenders he doesn't seem to see. Others, of course, are poorly thrown balls to open or semi-open receivers. He should be seeing the field better than he ever has in his career thanks to his offensive line (not having to focus on pass rushers chasing him) and years of experience.. Seems like the opposite for some reason.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe ben needs glasses. :shrug::cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Ben is a great QB but the one thing that has always been a problem with him is when he misses he misses high....his whole career. Many people here point out Ben is a gunslinger, and while I think the world of Ben I think he has more faith in his arm than talent. Look back in the days off Wallace and Washington both burners, how many times did they have their guy beat deep to wait for the ball from Ben? I have read many of complaints thru the years on more than one message board how Ben just either waits to long to throw the ball or just don't have the arm.

Now before you think I am slamming on Ben I am not I wouldn't want another QB here for us. He has done so many things when this oline was bad that would have made many QB's retire...including Marsha! Ben is a tough SOB and that is what makes him good...and makes him bad. I feel like he has the attitude where he feels he can do anything, which few QB's have. Look at the last few games, yesterday especially. When he throws the ball like 5 yards he is incredible but once he gets over that mark things go bad. 11 in a row yesterday almost 200 yards in just the 1st half, the dude was on and the other guys were making the plays and most of all Ben way untouched. We also saw this big time in the Raven game, the 1st 3 quarters he was trying to get it down the field then in the 4th quarter he checked it down and our talented WR's did some nice work and we scored 21 points.

Like I said I am not putting Ben down, love the guy gonna miss him when he is gone but I am just saying what I am seeing. This injury might be a good thing for him this week as he may have to go to the quick pass and not try to get it down the field. JMO

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You live and die with Ben's throws. He is what he is. A gunslinger... The last pick when he got injured was because of being rushed. Personally he shouldn't have been in there. No reason.

The clock is ticking...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree but Ben is using a bb gun so he better aim at a smaller target! Not sure he can sling anymore and I am not saying not to take chances down the field, but he has proven he can run that short offense and be super good at it, If you don't believe it watch the 4th quarter of the Raven game or the 1st quarter of yesterdays game. That is Ben's game now imo, and I have no clue why.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Arron Rodgers is a gunslinger, but he always hits the target, Ben not so much, and if he even plays at KC he will see pressure from that D like he hasnt seen before this year, and a pressure passer he isnt.....

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    And ben has a **** load more time to make a throw .. Holy god this Oline is amazing. He could camp out back there .

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers and Ben fans need to face the facts ...I have seen a lot of QB'S hide and try to hide knee injuries..Ben has bigger problems going on with that left knee than we know....Ben was throwing high early in the season then he took a hit, they cleaned the knee up and also stated they cleaned up previous damage....

I think the throwing high and the previous damage goes hand and hand ...I watch the tape and Ben doesn't push off that front leg and drive the ball in there..Even in his great comebacks the ball has been high and his guys have went up and got them ..

Almost every time Ben is forced off the spot his balls are high and have a lot less smoke on them..Ben's career is almost done ...I don't think his knee can be fixed,it is probably to the point they need to replace it ...He may be able to have it cleaned a couple of more times , but his mobility and his ability to throw on the run are all but gone...

I hope he can stay together for this run , but Steeler Football without Ben is coming sooner than a lot think and hope...It pains me to say that , but it is what it is ...Fans who think Ben has 4 or 5 more seasons are going to be seriously disappointed , he has half of that at best...

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I have a feeling thats going to change this sunday when they blitz him on every long down, and then the pick six comes into play....

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That Hail Mary Rodgers threw yesterday looked like just a straight up designed play to go to Cobb. He looked almost effortless throwing it. He is a straight up stud. He can also rocket the ball where he needs it to go too.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He completes more hail marys than any other QB, they practice it, I dont think Dallas knows whats coming to their house this weekend.....

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I hope you're right. I will laugh so hard if the Packers go in there and stomp them. Michael Irvin said he thinks Dak will fold under the pressure and Romo will be asked to step in during the game. I don't know about all that but it would be hilarious if it happened. Then they could watch both of their qb's tank in the playoffs again.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I dont know PWP. He looked pretty good when he scrambled to pick up I believe what was 6 yards. Dont count him out yet. His throws are off and yes I believe it has to do with the knee but he is a warrior, highly competitive and has alot left him yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree his knee is bothering him but he just needs the offseason to rest it and get it right. He had surgery and jumped back into action a couple weeks later.

He'll play for 3 to 4 more seasons.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would agree with you PWP. I think the end is coming sooner than most would think. I would say 2 more years tops. I think its a combination of injuries and motivation. I know he's a big time competitor but I think home life is becoming a bigger draw. Nothing to base this on from my end, just a gut feeling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I think this is close to the right answer.
    Ben makes amazing passes. Ones where only his receiver can get it, and sometimes require AB-level acrobatics to get two toes down. But that leaves almost no safety margin.

The first interception yesterday went through AB's hands, so it wasn't Ben's fault. But if he threw it a little lower, or a little softer, then there would have been room for error (easier catch for AB, or the ball goes down instead of up).

The only problem is, if Ben plays overly conservative, the offense will get bogged down more often. The price for having a gunslinger like Elway or Farve was the mistakes that accompany the successes.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm completely guessing here but from a distance it looks like Ben is not comfortable with the plays called. The reason he's throwing pics is because he hesitates. He's throwing ball's late and into coverage. He's not reading the defenses correctly. What's the cause of this? I personally think defenses have figured something out with Ben. I think he's making terrible defensive reads and is forcing the ball. Not sure why the lack of focus , he's usually got time. He used to be his best when he's making things happen. Lately he seems to make serious mental errors and is forcing the ball into coverage when he tries to make things happen. Sort of regressing back to his first few seasons.

He needs to be more conservative. It's ok to punt once in a while. He needs to just take the sack or throw it away.