1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good win but...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 8, 2017.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Actually, I thought it was a great win but I have to keep the mojo of the title going. A big shout out to Tomlin for the preparation and getting this team ready.

There are some things to improve on though. I'll get to those after I give another shout out to Bell, Deebo, Tuitt, Shazier, Timmons and the O-Line. I'm sure I'm missing some key players as well but I thought this team overall had a great week of practice and game planning. Stuffing Ajayi after he dismantled our defense last time was key. He went no where all game long and they put in the hands of Moore who was descent but our defense rocked him as well into making mistakes.

I thought they would win and should win big but no matter what it's the playoffs and I always get nervous. 10 seconds before kick off my son said they's gonna lose. I'm telling you, I think he is really mixed up living in Bengals and Colts country. Got to get him to a game at Heinz in order to straighten the kid out.

Now what we can improve on.

Our ST's better get it together if we want to win it all. I'll just chalk it up to this was just a bad game overall for them. Tackling was bad for the most part. Kickoffs were way under par. Toussaant should never be fielding KO's and should be replaced by either Rogers or Ayers ASAP.

I expect to see a better effort next week as I'm sure a lot of that will be addressed.

Tomlin - Love the effort this week but when we are up 30-6 please let the back ups do the mop up work. Seeing Ajayi get hurt on the last series is something that could easily happen to Bell on any given play. Jones should have replaced Ben as well. Hopefully he didn't get too hurt on that last sack. Let Landry take those hits in a game well under control.

KC will be a tough game.

Feel free to add, and those that hate this thread.....So long as I am up right and breathing after a win, it will be here to stay at least for this season.

BTW - There a different thing with thread title every week believe it or not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Keep 'em coming, 86! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The win means nothing unless we have these threads.

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm starting to wonder which match up the NFL would like to see most. Us vs. Cowboys (round 4), or Packers (round 2) or maybe Seattle (round 2)

Or Pats Giants again. Watch the refs.... ;)

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How about the first rookie QB to come in and win 13 games vs. the new rookie to do it? That's a good story line besides the long standing rivalry between these 2 dynasties.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ah, the win is now complete.

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The would've been better if I could've watched it. Responsibilities, ugh

8. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Good point to ponder. If you are one of the network cronies, I would bet their wet dream would be DALLAS - NE.

2nd: Dallas - Steelers
    3rd: Seattle - NE

If we don't win it all, it may be blasphemous but as much as I can't stand the Patriots, I would be fascinated to see the interaction between the commish and Brady. I loathe DamnYouRoger a lot more and I want to see him squirm. Of course, I'd love for Silverback to accept the trophy, give Roger the FU stare down and then ride off into the sunset.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Having Bradshaw interview Tomlin would be pretty interesting too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    classic

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ben has to make better decisions or it's going to cost us dearly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree that he will need to make good decisions because I think they are going to start off with 8 in the box. The way Bell ran today and has been running the last few weeks, I can see Andy Reid making stopping Bell their #1 priority. So we will have to throw it a lot more against KC then we did today. Steelers killed KC during the season but KC was a different team then. They can not get complacent. They need to come out and play with fire and attitude like they did in today's game.

13. StrongasSteel

StrongasSteel Member

Jan 8, 2017

My friends and I were losing it over the (ongoing) poor ST play. We have Coates with an injured finger and Toussaint running kicks out of the endzone and they rarely make it near the 25 yard line. We have our star WR returning punts. Our kicker misses an extra point this week and kicked a couple kickoffs out of bounds against the Ravens; he's good, but these kinds of things will kill us against the elite teams. Wasn't Ayers supposed to be a good kick returner? Have him and Rogers return kickoffs and one of them returning punts. Why we picked up Danny Smith from the Redskins is a mystery.

And keeping the starters in was CRAZY--while Brady, et. al. soaked in hot tubs, Ben had a 300 pound dude landing on his ankle. Absolutely crazy.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Green Bay and Pittsburgh are on a collision course to play in the SB, the Steelers need to get payback for the 2010 SB loss. The two hottest teams in the league right now, Green Bay has won 7 straight the Steelers have won 8 straight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ben can no throw no more picks and throw some touchdowns. And Mike Mitchell almost took out Cockrell and to me it looked like he had plenty of time to pull up. I like Mitchell, he truly is an enforcer for us out there but he can be a little too aggressive at times.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I feel both hottest teams end next week.

BUT, I would be ecstatic to keep looking stupid

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Great win but........ Bens mistakes were bad but I fear a high powered offense with this secondary. Matt Moore had 5 passes for over 20 yards and only 1 was in garbage time. The defense responded with splash plays as Harrison had the sack and forced fumble which really helped near the end of the first half but had Miami scored it would have been a different game. I know the "bend don't break" mentality but that is for 10 yard outs, not 37 yard pitch and catch, especially on 3rd and long. Offense could play a little cleaner and the secondary is pitiful, I would worry even playing the Texans after what Osweiler did to the Steelers while playing for Denver.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I love the win. Steelers Played great.

Ben still threw 2 awful picks again though!?

I have been hoping he would have cleaned that up by this time of the year. Teams that win in the playoffs are usually ones that make the least mistakes.

For whatever reason this year he hasn't been taking care of the football, and they haven't been 50/50 type int's they are just flat out bad ones.

Unless his receivers are letting him down, I'm not 100% sure what is going on? Injury, age?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  19. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Danny Smith needs to go... Too busy chewing on his gum to realize that Fitz is too slow to be KO returner.

On Big Ben's first INT: Yeah it was high, but it's AB, should be a catch.

2nd INT: He got pressured, should've thrown it away, but should not have been in the game.

20. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I just don't have a good feeling about this weekend's game. Have not played well on the road at all this year. KC is a super tough place to play and their big strength is a return guy that is awesome. I fully expect him to score at least one touchdown against us if not two. If the Steelers can limit the special teams to no points for KC and take care of the ball I think they will win. But I see at least one kick and or punt returned for a TD and the Steelers lose a close game.

I also don't like that Smith is a mobile QB who can extend the play. Need to really stay disciplined on D and force him to stay in the pocket.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So those 20 yard catches came early in the first quarter? Cause the rest of the game was garbage time.

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Pretty much so. :lolol:

Great though for analysis if you are into American Gridiron Football research. :rawk:

Have to wait until All 22 comes out for better perspective; "Rookie Triad" on defense and Bud Dupree specifically.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    One of them was exactly that, Brown let one go right through his hands. Throw was high but it went right through his hands. Thats a catch he makes 99% of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Glad to know I was not the only one who had my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. Jitters... maybe?

Lack of timing?

Do not know. At this point, apathetic to find out. :lolol: