1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Keeping Offensive Starters In Game Late In Blowouts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelTerp, Jan 8, 2017.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not a Tomlin hater at all (but I do have some realistic criticisms from time to time), but Tomlin absolutely should have taken Ben out of the game. It doesn't matter if Ben is making his own decisions, Tomlin is the head coach and he can override Ben if he wants to stay in. There was no reason for Ben to be in there that late in the game with that much of a lead.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    except for the fact they were trying to get my score prediction
    its pretty simple
    blame me

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Now it all makes sense. :hmm:

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin needs to protect Ben from himself! That last play was just silly on his part. Lay down in a situation like that. Throw the ball away. You've got the second dirtiest player in the league behind Burfict chasing you down. Grow up, Ben! Live to fight another day. You got lucky this time (we hope)!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This.
    The situation could have been handled differently, but we don't even know the extent of the injury and yet here we are with people posting their knee-jerk comments.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh, I don't know about that...

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    So? It's not unreasonable for people to be concerned when their QB is hobbling out in a boot when he could have been standing on the sideline...

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Less to do with confidence in Jones and more to do with an inability to tell Ben NO for his own good.

9. bnasty23

bnasty23 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Lol, here we go with Tomlin should have pulled the starter, I wonder if these the same fans that said the three Bs should have played in the last game of the season. Do people realized Ben could have hurt himself walking to his car. If he would have pulled the started when fans on message board first posted pull the starter when we was only up by 17 pts with plenty of time left on the clock, and dolphin mounted a come back, this bs topic would read dumb a** tomlin. Why pull starter when defense not good. We need new coach. Lastly why can't the steeler dominate lesser team. Again thanks Tomlin for having both defense and offense prepare and avenging the early season lost. If you doubt that these fans would not have said the above just go check previous messages when we lost to miami, raven eagles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Of course it's not unreasonable. I'm a bit upset about it myself, but we don't know the extent of the injury yet. That's all I'm saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    true
    its true
    i sneezed and hurt my back

12. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Agreed. Ben shouldn't have been in. IF its nothing major then all is well, not calling for Tomlin's head. If it does end up something serious then that was a dumb move.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe it was irresponsible on Tomlin's part to have Ben in the game at that point. Maybe Tomlin told him if anyone gets in your zip code throw it away? Who knows? All I know is we don't need to fire everyone tonight.
    Judging by the way Ben went back out to take the knee several minutes after the play he was hurt on and he fact that he spent time on the field after the game shaking hands and then jogged off, I'm not to worried about the injury till I hear otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It was a dumb move either way... Ben shouldn't have been in, Ben shouldn't have been putting himself out there for that. It's over, on to KC lets goooooooo

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Someone tell me how this scenario has morphed into a condemnation of Landry Jones and Tomlin's confidence in him resulting in calls for Jones to be kicked to the curb. This was Ben saying I want to keep playing to work through the interception and Tomlin allowing it. Nothing to do what so ever in coachin staff confidence in Jones. I'm betting no one even brought it up.

• Like Like x 3
  16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    i'm sure TTF has just the gif

17. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I thought the Botched timeout in the 2nd half trying to draw them offsides was idiotic. I agree with BFT, this isn't a very smart team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1. Tomlin should have pulled Ben
    2. If Ben stays in the game, Tomlin should have instructed Haley to call only run plays
    3. If Tomlin was on the ****ter, Haley should have known to only call hand offs
    4. If both Haley and Tomlin were on the ****ter together, Ben should have known to audible into a run play or at least throw it away/go down.

19. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    YEAH
    wtf ????

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah I didn't care for that myself. Although it worked a couple times earlier in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I wouldn't jump to either of those conclusions personally.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger didn't hurt himself walking to his car. He did it playing when he should have been on the sideline. Give Tomlin credit for having his team very well prepared for this game, but fault him for the mistakes as well. Putting Roethlisberger at risk like that was a mistake.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The bigger issue to me is the fact that whether he's hurt or whether he's not you just HAVE to be smarter in that situation and we just seem to have shown time and time again that we have a propensity for doing things that are football stupid. I'm telling you right now that if we come out and try that crap against the pats IF we make to them they will make us pay early and often. Mistake free football is pretty much the way to beat them. There were other dumb decisions made today too but this particular situation is just annoying on principle alone. I agree with you that he shouldn't have been in there for sure. We have a proven dirty player on the other side anyway who knows he's going home and I just think it was a perfect recipe for something to go horribly wrong even if Ben WAS just instructed to hand the ball off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Why is that? Do you not have a Jump To Conclusions mat?

• Winner Winner x 1