1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Keeping Offensive Starters In Game Late In Blowouts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelTerp, Jan 8, 2017.

1. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    180 yds
    3pics
    1 td

COME ON DEFENSE

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ugh... This is exactly why Tomlin catches criticism. Bell should have been out in 4th and Ben with 10 minutes left. Brown is the only one who has shown he can protect himself.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't care who's "responsible" for the incredibly stupid play call. The fact is that this team is, has been, and probably always will be just straight up football stupid. Oh wow we're soooo aggressive. Let's all just froth over how clever Tomlin's team is. What a bunch of morons. How will the fanboys defend this? The point is not whether it's "no harm no foul". The point is that you have to know the situation and just play the odds and realize when you won and that time is just a formality at that point. You don't have to go out there still going bombs away like a Chip Kelly offense. Do they give out trophies for "not living in your fears"? No. They give them out for not being dumb and knowing when you've won and going on to the next week. The fact that we don't even have basic football smarts is just infuriating. I'm sure Tomlin will find a clever ism to put this all in perspective and make us all forget how dumb he can allow his team to be from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Didn't protect himself too well when Burfict cold-cocked him last year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And Ben is the worst at protecting himself. :facepalm:

6. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Geesh!!! You don't say he injured him last time in Miami. Ben better ice up!!!! he should have thrown the ball away.:facepalm:

7. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Until I hear differently, I wouldn't be shocked if it's in a boot as a precaution just to rest it and keep him from tweaking it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with both sides. Ben shouldn't have been in the game to get hurt, but in the same aspect...Ben is a drama queen

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's a low ankle sprain it should have no effect on him come next Sunday. Heck he may not even notice it by then.

10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I knew somebody would say. 1 injury in 7 years? WR? Yeah, that's amazing.

It doesn't matter. He had NO business being in the game.

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Not happy about this, but I hope it ends up being a minor issue.

I was telling my son about halfway through the 4th quarter that I couldn't believe Ben was still playing. He asked why and now he has been given an example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He ran off the field. Hopefully he is just being a dram queen.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

It's crap like this why we wanted our starters to sit last week. All it takes is one play.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

He seemed to be running off the field fine to me, too. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's had more than one. He had an ankle that kept him out for a couple of games a few years ago. I wouldn't say he's injury prone, but freaky injuries can happen to anybody.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ben gets off on this! He will be playing. Look at his career. He gets beaten and comes in and raises his game. Its Football. Watch.

17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Comment or Commit TTF? Haha

18. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Just dumb.. Bell running the ball up 3 TDs.. Brown returning punts late in the game.. Long pass play with 4 minutes left. Dumb

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. SteelerJJ

Oct 16, 2011
    Bradshaw -

"I wore those. It's just to protect it and keep the swelling down. He'll be fine."

• Like Like x 3
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason I am doing this...

[​IMG]

This whole anxiety about player safety is understandable but winning is essential.

Ben knows this as much as Tomlin does. Pittsburgh has to win at all costs to secure a trip to Houston. Otherwise, fear of player safety may cost us a trip.

21. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    EXACTLY. What do we have Landry for if we can't trust him with a 24 point lead? If he's that bad, kick him to the curb. Can't have it both ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Once again you Tomlin haters are shifting the blame to the wrong person. Tomlin pulled Bell which was the right move Ben is calling his own plays and making all the decisions but AGAIN instead of throwing the ball away when the team is up and the play is not there, he scrambles and gets himself hurt. That is not Tomlins fault no more than the 2 poorly thrown intercepted balls that the QB had today (good thing the running game and WR blocking was legit cause Ben really didn't have a great day, especially at home with a week's rest.
    I don't mind Ben trying to make something happen when he needs to cause that's his game BUT much like last year's playoff game when we were up on Cincy in the rain against a backup QB who hadn't done anything all game, on 3rd and 22 Ben takes an unnecessary hit from Burflict. He came back and won us the game BUT AB got concussed (Ben's high passes again) trying to bring us back. AB would miss the Denver game and we know how that ended, but everyone wants to blame Tomlin.....
    You think Brady is coming out of the game up 30 - 6? He'll no! You think he's going to hold the ball trying to make a play on 3rd down up 30 - 6 and get hit? Hell No!! Both games yesterday were lopsided did any of the starting QB'S leave the game.......

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SteelerJJ

Oct 16, 2011
    In the last 4 games Ben has thrown 7 INT's. He needs to tighten up either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Furthermore isn't that why Haley was brought in and Arians was shown the door.....to get plays where Ben gets the ball out right away?

25. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    NO DOUBT
    i really thought we screwed the pooch when we knocked out Moore and TJ YATES came in
    i believ someone here posted they were more worried about Yates and i agree
    silly Dolphins for putting their back up back in over their 3rd string