1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Franco vs Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelcurtainmrp, Jan 3, 2017.

1. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    For those of you who are old enough, how much do you think Bell resembles Franco? On Christmas day vs the ravens I recall one of the commentators making a comment about how they run fairly the same. Personally, I think in terms of hesitation and cutbacks, they are similar... Just curious on what yinz think. Do you find them similar? In what ways do you or don't you? And, maybe tell me who you'd prefer, if you don't think it's too early to determine.

2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    They have a similar style. Both have/had insane patience to use blockers. Most RB's can't do it.

Bell's quickness from stop to go is IMO comparable to Peyton and maybe Sanders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    They both like to dance..... but Franco's dancing drove me insane at times..... Bell seems to hit the hole with so much more speed.

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    actually never thought of it before but they are similar. bell can hit that other speed that I don't think franco had. i also remember franco not wanting to lower head and get those extra yards. he ran out of bounds a lot. of course with some of the guys back then i would too

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Somewhat of a similar style while behind the LOS, but that's about it. Once past the line, I don't really see the similarities, but then again, I mostly get to see highlights of Franco and never got to see him play.

From highlights I've seen, replays of games I've seen, reading about past and current players and watching games since I was about 10, Bell is the most talented RB we've ever had, IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Having seen them both, I can say this. They have similar running styles. Once in the open, Franco could run away from the defensive backs while Bell gets caught from behind. Bell is a better pass catcher. The defenses were physically smaller in Franco's era. Franco was definitely more clutch, he carried the Steelers until Bradshaw came of age. The saying was "As goes Franco, so goes the Steelers". Let's see how Bell does in the post season.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm old enough to have watched all of Franco's career and agree with the above. Plus, Bell is a threat now in the passing game.

8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I became a Steelers fan because of Mean Joe Greene, but I stayed a fan because of Franco Harris. Le'Veon may be as talented as Franco, but Franco was considered one of the most intelligent players in football. One story I remember is that the Steelers were looking at both backs from Penn St. - Franco and Lydell Mitchell. One of the Steelers scouts asked Joe Paterno the difference between the two. Paterno said if you ask each to run through a brick wall, Lydell Mitchell would go do it. Franco would go up to the wall, analyze it first, find out where the weak spot was, then go do it. I think I read that is why the Steelers drafted Franco. Franco was taught at Penn St. to follow the play. That discipline paid off when the Immaculate Reception took place.

Is Bell like Franco? I hope so. Has Bell matched any of Franco's accomplishments? Not yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016

I can see a little sweetness in his step.

10. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    As another, I too see them as similar. Franco was more durable, Leveon has more speed. The Steelers did not throw to their running backs as much as some other teams (Minnesota for example) in the 70's, but Franco was an underrated receiver.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Bell has more shake and bake, patience, and is a real threat out of the backfield.

Franco has 4 rings.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Well Peyton wasn't that fast but when he led with his forehead... watch out!

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, also seen both, once in the open Franco could run to the house. I think Bell has slower full speed and gets caught from behind. Something you very rarely seen with Franco. Franco when injured took a longer time to heal then Bell Franco definetly was clutch in big games.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Leveon may have quickness, but always gets caught from behind. Franco I think had more outright full speed as he rarely ever got caught from behind. Franco had good hands but they rarely threw to backs. Leveon is great at receiving.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I remember that one catch in December of '72

• Like Like x 2
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yea that's for sure. That's one we'll never forget. :bowdown: :clapping::thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And to think Chuck Noll wanted to draft Robert Newhouse instead of Franco, lol.

18. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    FCNI!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He also wanted to draft John Stallworth in the first round and pass on Lynn Swann in the 74 draft. He was finally convinced that the Steelers had done a good enough job of hiding Stallworth's college tape and that he would be available in a later round. Of course, the Steelers ended up with Swann in the first AND Stallworth in the fourth. Can you imagine if the Steelers had passed on Franco and Swann because of Chuck's "brilliance", lol? Still love me some Chaz Noll, though.

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Their running styles are somewhat similar. Interesting that Franco had 90 career fumbles.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it's like Spinal Tap said "there's such a fine line between stupid and clever". LOL! It's amazing I'm sure how many stories there are of legends being taken at the last second or being passed on. Just unreal how great that draft class was.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not old enough to remember Franco, so I won't compare... but man I think it would be hard to find someone who is like better than Bell. Even a HoF'er like Harris. Bell's vision, patience, and acceleration are out of this world. Crazy elusive. He's a smart runner too. He lowers the shoulder when he has to and can duck out of bounds when he knows he's gotten all he can. You can run him zone or power and he's excellent at both. Amazing blocker. Elite receiver for the position. Runs routes like a big WR, catches with his hands away from his body. Very elusive in open space when running his routes.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many players in this league at any position more dynamic than LeVeon Bell.

• Like Like x 1
  23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I bet Tomlin soils himself thinking of how fun it would be to bench him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Bell is much better at catching the ball but Franco had one heck of a grab in 1972.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I became a Steeler fan in the late 70s, so I got to watch Franco for several years before he retired. As much as I loved (and still do) Franco Harris, I'd give a slight edge to Bell.

• Like Like x 2