1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleveland Browns intel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nor, Dec 28, 2016.

1. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I've never written an intel brief quite like this one before. The opponent is really bad, they don' t know how they got there, and they don't know how to get out of it.

I started to read the bio(s) of the Browns starters and found phrases like these:

"Cut by Jax"

"Cut by Dallas"

"Rookie. Drafted at #185 overall by the Browns. Not considered an NFL prospect by anybody because he has no athletic ability"

"Suspended for part of the season for substance abuse. Arrested for DUI during week 3"

" re-learning the QB position"

"Signed a 3-year contract during the summer and it's a good thing for him because he hasn't done a thing this year"

I think what happened was HC Hue Jackson was under heavy public pressure to clean house. so he did. got rid of bushels of players. but he had no talent standing by to replace them. Foolish. That would be like your car getting a flat tire and you take off the tire, cut it up, and discard it, knowing you have no spare tire in the trunk to put on. Unbelievably poor roster management. Unbelievable. He tried to replace the previous HC's guys with 'his guys', and it is failing miserably. This Browns team is a waiver-wire team with some underachieving Jackson draft picks thrown in.

Sports writer Leo Ross said, "Trying to evaluate your own players when they play the Browns is useless." I agree.

I watched some Browns game film and what I saw was...at the snap of the ball, the players turn into moving scenery since none of them seem to be doing an NFL job assignment.

Let me start with the good things:

1. LT Joe Thomas is a Pro Bowl player.

2. They hired DC Ray Horton.

3. CB Joe Haden is good but has a groin injury now.

4. They have two Top-10 draft picks next draft, the one coming from the trade down with Philly for QB Wentz.

5. They got LB Jamie Collins from NE.

and that's all.

The QBs are RG3, Cody Kessler and Josh McCown. RG3 had only one good game, against SD. Kessler hasn't had any. And Jackson is benching Josh McCown who I think is they're best QB because Jackson wants to start 'his players'. McCown has a 54% completion % this season with 6 tds. Last season had 64% comp rate and 14 TDs. Another reason might be that RG3 is the only mobile Browns QB, and with that poor OL, you need someone who can run for their life and still maybe make a pass while scrambling. worked for philly when they got mike vick and had a bad OL. RG3 runs like a moose but he throws like a moose too. I don't know why the Browns have receivers go out for passes. Game film shows RG3 and Kessler couldn't hit any of them until the SD game.

The RBs are Isaiah Crowell and Duke Johnson. I like Crowell. He has about 800 yards and 7 TDs this year. Duke Johnson is U of Miami's career rushing leader and due to the Browns lacking any impact scoring threats, Hue Jackson tried more of Johnson and less Crowell to try and get some splash plays but it didn't happen so in the SD game Jackson went back to Crowell more and got two rushing TDs. Johnson has 1 TD this season and reportedly a sore ankle.

WR Terrelle Pryor has gotten a lot of press but rotoworld says he had devolved into a late season non-factor. Ex Brown WR Brian Hartline was asked if Pryor was an NFL #1 WR and his answer was, "God no".

WR Corey Coleman was their #1 pick this year. he has 373 yards and 3 TDs this season. I've never seen him on a highlight film on ESPN. very forgettable and replaceable.

TE is Gary Barnidge and he and Josh McCown won some games last year. Barnidge had 9 TDs last year and lead the team in receiving yards in the win over SD. A poor-man's Tyler Eifert. With no good QB to pass it to him, he looks on film like a horse that got out of a corral and doesn't know what to do with himself. Wasted talent.

Their offensive line couldn't push a broom. C Cameron Erving is getting annihilated at his position according to rotoworld. OG Austin Pasztor had negative pass protection grades last year. The Browns OL wouldn't make it into a Who's Who book for NFL but they might make into a book called What-Was-That???

K Cody Parkey is below average. He's 12-19 on FGs between 40-49 yards and only was allowed to kick one from 50+ this season (made). Out almost all of last year with a groin injury. Lost kicker competition with caleb Sturgis in Philly and was cut then signed with Cleveland. I'm surprised Mike Tomlin didn't trade a sixth round pick for him.

Punter is Britton Colquitt who was cut by Denver. 40 yard average. The Browns have more yards punting than they have passing.

Somewhere I read the Browns DL described as 'leaky'. Leaky?? Leaky?? the last time there was a leak like this, Noah built himself a boat! DE Emmanuel Ogbah was the 19th overall pick in the 2015 draft and was supposed to replace OLB Paul Kruger but his write up says he's part of the worst front seven in football. Kruger would have been better. Karlos Dansby who's now in Cincy was much better.

NT Danny Shelton was the 15th overall pick in the 2015 draft and finished the season graded near the bottom by PFF.

The Browns LBers couldn't play dead in pass protection. It took Hue Jackson most of the year to figure that out so he traded for Jamie Collins. That's a good start.

CB Joe Haden has both a neck injury and groin injury. CB Jamar Taylor was called a second round bust with the Dolphins by PFF so Cleveland traded for him and signed him to a 3 year- $15 million contract. the FS is Ed Reynolds who spent last season on the Eagles practice squad. The SS was Derrick Kendrick who somehow broke his ankle during the BYE week (???) New SS will be Ibraheim Campbell who has no sacks, no INTs, and no fumble recoveries.

So what happened in the San diego game that they won? Well, San Diego played worse. Three consecutive defensive penalties led to a 7 yard run by Crowell for a TD. San Diego kicker missed two field goals in the lasts 4 minutes. RG3 had his best game as a Brown although I saw film of him running for his life.

This team is below even an expansion team-level of talent. If I'm PIttsburgh, I avoid injuries and I rest my starters and I'd fine Ben, AB and Bell if they even show up at the game so they don't get the lamebrain idea to try and play in this game.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I so wish Baltimore was this disfunctional.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Landry Jones will throw for 350 yards 3 touchdowns zero INT. No sacks.

Then some team will give him a 25 million dollar contract in the off season

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    landry jones will throw for 350 yards 3 touchdowns zero INT. No sacks.

we keep him. :smiley1::cool:

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, the Texans!

• Like Like x 1
  6. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Landry has that kind of game trade him quick for a draft pick, if possible... :) That being said I do like Landry but would also love to get something for him if he does end up leaving the Steelers for an opportunity to start. I certainly can't blame him. Look at some of the QB's playing this weekend. Kapernick, EJ Manuel, Matt Moore, McGloin, Savage, Simien, whoever goes in Cleveland, the back up in Tennessee etc. There are definitely opportunities out there. No idea if he is interested in looking or happy with his role in Pittsburgh.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

If another team wants Mr. Moustache, they can have him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Can't believe you'd use "Cleveland Browns" and "intel(ligence)" in the same sentence! :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, I always wished we Matt Moore for our backup, just hope he not that good against us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I wonder if they beat our second stringers if they could lose the #1 draft pick to SF?

11. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Yes.
    Something else, if we lose to the Browns it wouldn't affect our playoff seed but might improve our draft position under some circumstances.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The words "Cleveland Browns" and "intel" don't seem to belong in the same sentence.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    That was wayyy longer of a post than I expected.

Thought bubble = :clowns:

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not likely. SF two wins are against division foe and if Browns win, they will have one win against division foes. Also SF has more points for than brownies. I think brownies pick first regardless. I could be wrong though.

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    If Landry jones can't get the job done against Cleveland, that should be the cue for the f.o. to close the book on him

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Landry is a free agent after the season.

17. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Imagine the moosetache goes to let's say falcons and Matty iceman gets hurt on the last td pass to win the NFC championship game... so backup Landry starts the bowl vs us and wins while having a ridiculous moosetache. Would y'all laugh?

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How bout if Jones throws for 400 + yards, 3 TD's and the Stains pick him up in Free Agency.:hmm:

20. Guest

Guest Guest

That would be okay because if he had a game like that it would be against no team other than... the Browns! :lolol: