1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky- Most memorable STEELER game..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
  2. Toughtown

Toughtown Active Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Mine was on a cold day in Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO, Saturday, December 16, 1978. It was the heyday of the Steel Curtain and I a native of Pittsburgh was living with my aunt and uncle in Denver, who moved there from the Jeannette, PA area. With my uncle Milty and his buddy Sarge we sat behind the goal post about 20 rows back. I had a $5 bet riding on this game with a schoolmate and had no doubt that our Steelers (13-2) would whomp on the Orange Crush (10-5). Incidentally, we went to the hotel where the Steelers were staying and I got the signature of just about every player on the team the evening before the game. The Steelers took a 21 to 0 lead going into the half and Sarge and I were Euphoric and said it was in the bag with high fives. Uncle Milt prophetically said that the Steelers will come out of the half flat and let the Broncos back into the game as they often did back then. We laughed at the notion and dismissed it. Well, that's just what happened. Denver came back with 17 unanswered points and very late in the game they were driving and with about a minute left in the game they were on about the 5 yard line with 1st and goal. We were biting our nails now as you can imagine. They ran it all 4 times. On 4th and goal from about the 2 yard line they gave it to Preston and Mean Joe met him at the 1 and stood him up and that was the end of it. Wow, that was a great ending to the game. Of course the Steelers beat them again 2 weeks later in the playoffs and then on to meet the Cowboys in Superbowl XIII winning 35-31 in what can arguably be called the greatest Superbowl to date.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its easy... Today, I could throw 300yds against the steelers. Ben is playing conservative. The wrs are playing with no sense of urgency. Defense is playing like they don't have a clue.

4. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I have never been to a Steeler or any other NFL game, but for me the most memorable was the Steelers 75th anniversary game. As a big James Harrison I noticed a good omen when I saw him coming down the steps on his way to the field before the start of the game. I did not know what an omen this was at that time, but was about to find out. James was a one man wrecking crew. He had multiple sacs, forced fumbles and a fumble recovery, an interception and the most memorable play for me was on a punt. Ed Reed took the punt and was just about to clear the edge and run for daylight, when out of nowhere you see him get hit and the ball go flying up many feet into the air only to have the Steelers recover. On the replay it was James who hit him and he layed him OUT. Reed's body was parallel to the ground when he was hit. That same game Ben threw 5 td's in just the 1st half. One of those he had Bart Scott hanging from his shoulders only to shrug him off and toss a touchdown. Talk about insult to injury. I loved that game it will always be one of my favorites of all time.

As for Superbowls it has to be 43. That game had more twist and turns than the cart full of well endowed cheerleaders on a roller coaster.

5. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Well I was actually at Super Bowl 43, which will probably forever be the most memorable game I've ever been to. But BEING ENTIRELY HONEST, I have never been in a stadium more electrifying than Heinz Field during the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. the Ravens. Hands down one of the coolest experiences I've ever had.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr F

Mr F Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Was lucky enough to be at Superbowl 43. Near endzone where Harrison scored on the pick 6! The Santonio catch was on the other end, but of course I never had a doubt he was in.

I'm currently on a personal streak of 10-0 at the last 10 Steeler games I've been to over the years including this one, and the last time we played the Redskins on MNF in Washington.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PittCop

PittCop Member

Oct 13, 2016
    With the Steelers coming to Miami, a couple of memories. 1996 MNF Tomczak to Mills 4th Qtr TD to win 24-17. End zone seats loaded with Steelers fans. 1998, week 3, 90 degrees. 45 yard line 3 rows up from Steelers bench. Had a broken jaw with teeth wired shut, trying to drink beer, drooling like an idiot. Kordell horrible. Lost 21-0. Redemption, 2004. Big Ben's 1st start, Sunday night delay, due to Hurricane Jean. Wind/rain/no problem. The beginning of new era in Pittsburgh. 13-3 win. Season finale 2009 season. Pretty cold day in Florida. 2nd level up from Steelers bench. Saw Ike Taylor KILL Pat White. Poor guy just laid there lifeless. Thankfully, he was ok. Funny story about that play, some co-workers were security on sideline, standing by the area, when my wife asked if they were protecting a crime scene. She was serious.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chiefly

Chiefly New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Cant remember the exact date, but the MNF game against baltimore when James harrison went berserk and Ben threw for 5 td's (i think) in the first half. Rained like crazy, but who cared? 38-7 final... harrison had 31/2 sacks and two fumbles and an interception. One man wrecking crew.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    the dynasty players were there that night
    the Steelers did not disappoint
    75th anniversary?

10. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    2008 AFC Championship--- I will never forget how loud the hit was by Ryan Clark that put Willis McGahee on a stretcher. I was also right in the endzone as Polamalu stormed in to win the game with his Pick 6, also something I will never forget.

2010 AFC Championship--- I was also in the endzone for Big Play William Gay's scoop and score after Ike Taylor's forced fumble/sack, the stadium erupted as we took a 24-3 into halftime.

November 16, 2008--- The Steelers were facing the Chargers on a cold and snowy afternoon. It was a defensive battle as Troy Polamalu and James Harrison were playing out of their minds (as they did for the whole 2008 season). Harrison and Lamarr Woodley split a sack for a safety in the endzone and pretty much dominated the line of scrimmage the whole game. Troy had the amazing one handed diving interception that no one can explain, then proceeded to have a defensive touchdown called back on the last play due to a "Illegal forward pass," but I think the refs called it back to keep the final scored a 11-10 because that was the first game ever to end with that score.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Going to Cincinnati to see the Steelers live for the first time in 1995. Bengals are up something like 21-10 and the Steelers start scoring like crazy, winning 49-31. A Bengals fan sitting next to me, says "You have a nice team there." I said, "I know."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steelersfansince84

steelersfansince84 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Wow at the sb that's my lifelong dream. How much did u pay to go

13. Rick Williams

Rick Williams Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Mine? 2008, Giants at Steelers, October 26, 2008. Steelers lost. We sat in Section 525, the only tickets we could find that we could get at face value. Greg Warren tore his ACL. Ben hit Nate Washington on a tremendously long TD pass, which was called back on Max Starks hold - causing me to exclaim, "Max Starks couldn't block his own shadow." Finally, as if this was not enough, a group of Giants' fans basically taught a class in Profanity. It was one of the most devastating losses I have ever seen. It was also the second time Ben and Eli met in the regular season.

This was not my favorite but definitely my most memorable.

After that loss, the first I had seen in person, I was devastated. It was not until later in life, I began to realize, that every time I saw the Steelers play in Heinz field, if they lost, saw the 2010 loss to the Pats too, then the Steelers made it to the Superbowl that year. Not saying it is a guarantee that we will get to the SB but at least there has been a silver lining.

Rick

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Only regular season game I attended (been to a few pre-season) was in 1964. I was very young boy and remember sitting in old Pitt Stadium watching the Browns whip our butts. Thing that always stuck in my mind was this old guy next to me saying the NFL will never be big and the Steelers will never be good.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What’s your definition of “for a while”? This is pushing 7 years. :applaud:

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Some of my most memorable wins were

2001 Divisional playoff vs the Ravens. We ended Elvis Grbacs career. Retired due to sadness.

I believe it was 1997 regular season game against the Jaguars. Steelers won in overtime on a 50 yard screen pass from Kordell to Bettis. It was the loudest I have ever heard three rivers stadium.

Game a couple years back when Ben threw for 5tds on MNF against the Ravens.

I have quite a few memorable losses I've been at too. But I won't mention those.:facepalm:

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Walking out after winning the AFC championship game is always a treat. Kind of like thinking Christmas came twice.

18. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Super Bowl 43 also. I walked on the beach in the morning and then went to see the Steelers win the Super Bowl. It doesn't get much better than that.

19. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    A great many games and a huge amount of enjoyment over the years for me. But, the one game that will always be the greatest for me was Week 17 last season. Yup, it was cold and it was backups playin' and it didn't matter because I was there with both my kids. The weekend was a Christmas gift from my wife. I took the kids the day before. We arrived after dark so the kids first view of Pittsburgh was coming out of the Fort Pitt tunnel into a lit up downtown. They were stunned. Gameday, I drove back across the river so the kids could experience arriving at Heinz via the Clipper. We stood on the bow and got more and more excited as the stadium loomed larger and larger ahead of us. We arrived early so we could take in the sites and sounds. We did the gift shop (of course), listened to the tunes, past the Hall of Honors, and all the stuff to do inside. Then we went into the main bowl by the give away truck and the big board. The kids watched from the patio there at some of the warmups then we made our way around to the other side (we were in the otehr endzone). Just about game time, I pulled out the secret in my coat pocket - terrible towels for all of us (I had brought them from home; the kids thought I had forgotten them). We stayed the entire game - even into garbage time - and then road the Clipper back. We grabbed supper at the Hard Rock before hitting the hotel and then home the next day. Yea, the game had little meaning to the team, backups were in, but it was a win over the Browns and it was with my kids on their first trip through Pittsburgh. It does not get better than that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kwolf68

kwolf68 New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Well to be fair Cleveland was awesome in 1964 and the Steelers were, well not awesome. But then the 1970s would happen and Cleveland ended up on a milk carton.

21. richardtyler

richardtyler New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Actually the first NFL weekend in 2001 since the 9/11 attacks was 9-23-2001.

22. richardtyler

richardtyler New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Pittsburgh actually beat Cincinnati in the wild card card game after the 2005 season and not Cleveland.

23. Aaron Dullinger

Aaron Dullinger Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    The 2002 Wild Card game vs Cleveland because of how the Browns desperately tried to dive out of bounds at the end of the game.

24. Some Guy From Mars

Some Guy From Mars Member

Apr 11, 2020
    Hope this post is not too long, but the entire1978 season is memorable. Begins with how 78 was the first year to feature a 16 game schedule but also includes the so-called ‘Mel Blount’ rule designed to open up the offense. Steelers followed suite with Bradshaw literally throwing the ball all over the field to Swann and Stallworth (it would be amazing what type of numbers the three would put up in today’s pass happy league!). After a down year in 77, defense recaptured its prime form of 74-76.

The seven game winning streak to open the season deserves note, with the double reverse flea flicker to Bennie Cunningham to beat the Browns in OT standing out! You also have to mention the rivalry with the resurgent Oilers, whom featured powerhouse rookie running back Earl Campbell. Play of the season might have been the big hit by Donnie ‘Torpedo’ Shell to knock Campbell out of the game in a big week 14 win at the Astrodome.

Steelers carried that momentum to the post season where they defeated two very good teams in the Broncos and said Oilers by a combined score of 67-15 in the divisional round and AFC Championship, respectively.

Of course, there was the climactic Super Bowl XIII showdown with the defending champion Cowboys to determine the Team of the 70’s. In my opinion, this is the Super Bowl to feature the two best ever teams, with the game living up to its billing in light of Hall of Famers on both sides of the ball and big plays:

*the Cowboys attempt at a double reverse flea flicker which resulted in a Steelers recovered fumble.

*the strip sack of Bradshaw and fumble return for a touchdown by Mike Hegman

*Bradshaw’s subsequent 75-yard touchdown pass to John Stallworth and second touchdown to Rocky Bleier to close out the first half

*second half was also full of its share of action, including the dropped touchdown pass by Cowboys tight end Jackie Smith

*the controversial 33-yard pass interference call against defensive back Bennie Barnes…

*…followed by the big touchdown run of up middle from Franco Harris after being taunted by Thomas ‘Hollywood’ Henderson

*Steelers iced the game with a touchdown pass from Bradshaw to Harris after recovering Randy White’s fumble on the ensuring kick off

*Cowboys mounted a late game comeback, which ultimately fell short

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking through this and came up with my second favorite:

January 4, 1976 15 Degrees, Cloudy, Icy

AFC Championship Steelers 16 Raiders 10

My first time to go to an AFC Championship game, and left knowing we were going to the Super Bowl again.