1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers just need to go 2-1 in the next 3 games...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 28, 2016.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Better cheer like heck for the Pats to beat the Ravens. We need to take care of business at Buffalo. Just keeping it one game at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    You got that right 100%

3. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I'm more concerned about the Bengals game - their season is over and they would love to knock out the Steelers. This will be the Bengals playoff game/Super Bowl rolled into one.

The Miami loss is going to hurt - have to hope it's a 3 way tie at 10-6 with Denver, Phins and Steelers and the Steelers would win that 3 way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Broncos still have chiefs pats raiders and fins have cards bills pats to lose 1 or 2more

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    How so? Steelers lost the head to head with Miami... so they are pretty much screwed in that scenario.

6. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I was just thinking about how dumb that Bengals game could get. Just think last year there playoff birth was riding on that win and they pissed it down there leg acting stupid and head hunting. If they have no season to lose will Burfict go after our guys again and try to injury someone. That makes me really nervous. I would so rather play the Ravens. At least they respect the rivalry and play good, mostly clean, football.

7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    When the Steelers fought a nail biter with the Cowboys, did they lose to the 4-12 team from last season, or the 11-1 NFL-best-team-so-far this season?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Then a Steelers victory is assured.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Fiddling with the playoff predictor ...

If we drop the BUF game, we'll need serious help from the Ravens to get into the postseason. Even after we beat them on Christmas Day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I'm sure you can nit pick every teams schedule and come up with teams who improved their record, fact is we lost 4 games in a row and not all of them power houses at the time, like the ravens and dolphins and for good measure we lost to a 5-7 eagles team, for the most part this year our schedule hasnt been that difficult, some losing teams improve and some winning teams like the jets and bengals regress, so it balances out to be a winnable schedule if we wasnt playing small ball early on....

11. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016
    If both teams were to lose this weekend, wouldn't it still be status quo? Only difference being that both teams would have an extra L?

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ravens still have the advantage because of head-to-head, division and AFC record. The loss to the Dolphins is gonna come back to haunt Steelers when it's all said and done.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Funny. When I used ESPN's playoff generator, it was automatic that we got in with wins weeks 15-17 regardless of the Buffalo game.

14. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    in a 3 way tie with teams in diff divisions, head to head gets thrown out unless all 3 teams have played each other.

Three or More Clubs:
    (Note: If two clubs remain tied after one or more clubs are eliminated during any step, tie-breaker re-starts at Step One of two-club format. If three clubs remain tied after a fourth club is eliminated during any step, tie-breaker re-starts at Step One of three-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So, going back and checking myself instead of relying on ESPN, I think the ESPN playoff generator is wrong. Conference record is the first tiebreaker. The Ravens are 0-3 vs. the NFC (and thus will have a better AFC record if we both go 10-6), which means that if we lose another AFC game and beat them on Xmas, and both teams go 10-6, they get the conference win tiebreaker.

However if we get to 10-6, I like our chances for the 6th seed. What doesn't thrill me is a road playoff game in Baltimore. We realistically have no cushion unless the Pats hold serve at home Monday night.

16. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    That's why it's critical to at least go 1-1 in these next 2 games because even though the Pats don't have Gronkowski I still think they will beat the Ravens at home next week. If that happens and we go 1-1 in the next 2 the Steelers win the division at 10-6 if they beat the Ravens and Browns at home on Christmas and New Years Day.

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This is what bugs the crap out of me. Before I get too excited about our nice little 3 game stretch here (two of which were against the Browns and a Luck-less Colts team) I want to pause and remember the pathetic egg laying we did earlier in the season that has resulted in us being on the outside looking in going into the last 4 games and having essentially no room for error from here on out! I'm glad we've won three in a row and I can see some reason to be encouraged, but I'll wait until all is said and done before I regain that sunny optimism that I'm so well known for. :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Doesnt matter if Ravens win or lose. Steelers win out, they get the division.

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    [February 5, 2017: Associated Press] In an unprecedented move, the NFL has declined to award the Pittsburgh Steelers the Lombardi Trophy after their victory over the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl LI earlier this evening because they sucked early in the season in inexcusable losses to Philadelphia and Miami. Instead, the Lombardi Trophy will be awarded to the 1-15 Cleveland Browns for exceeding all expectations by winning a single game in their Week 14 upset win over the Cincinnati Bengals. When asked to comment, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said "yeah... ___ the Steelers. I can't stand those guys. And I'm telling you, I WILL catch James Harrison one of these days. I mean, the guy is almost as old as I am and he can take my head right off my shoulders with his pinky. There's something seriously ___ed up going on there." Speaking from New England Patriots HQ in Foxboro, MA, Goodell further commented that in the future the NFL will use a BCS-style ranking system to determine Super Bowl participants. "If we leave it to the players on the field, strange things can happen. We have to take the outcome out of the players hands' to ensure that we get the Super Bowl out of their hands and ensure that we always get the best matchup. The fans were unfairly denied the angry Brady redemption story they so deserved."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  20. Clive From PIT

Dec 14, 2015
    Thats what I'm getting with the NFL Predictor: if we lose only to BUF and the Ravens lose only to PIT, BAL is in and PIT is out.
    Look out for KC, OAK, DEN and even MIA (who holds the 10-6 tiebreaker over us).

21. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016

True, but the Steelers would still control their own destiny. If both teams were to lose this weekend, both would have a record of 7-6. If we were to win out, we would win the division at 10-6 because the rats couldn't finish any better than 9-7 as we still have a YUGE game against them on Christmas Day.

22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm sure the Raven's fans feel the same way about their loss to the Jets (whom the Steelers beat handily).

23. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Bottom line is, they need to win out to take the calculator or missed chief fg's out of the equation.

One game at a time, sucks the last 3 are against division rivals regardless if 2 of the 3 are playing half brained. Those games are never easy other than the occasional blowout game they give and receive once every so often.

Win out and they're in the dance without a doubt

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Touché! But it still bugs the crap out of me! If we win the Super Bowl, I'll get over it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    I can't, won't. I hope they both lose