1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense An Achilles Heel? I Do Not Think So.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Dec 4, 2016.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Our defense may give up yards. It may even give up first downs more than when we what them to.

When it comes to points though, our defense is truly the best of the best thanks to the folks at Pro Football Reference and special thanks to Bleacherreport writer Brad Gagnon for including this statistic in his article.

Here is a further look;

Most games with 16 or fewer points allowed, 2016

Team Total

1. Pittsburgh Steelers 7

2. Minnesota Vikings 6

2. Baltimore Ravens 6

4. Philadelphia Eagles 5

4. Los Angeles Rams 5

4. Seattle Seahawks 5

4. New England Patriots 5

Pro Football Reference

Granted this will be likely updated pending on how bad Seattle blows out Carolina. Either way, to not include a powerhouse like the Denver Broncos in addition to superceding other far talented defensive teams like the Seahawks or Vikings showcases one of Tomlin's great forms of ethos;

Style points don't matter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our D is good, still will get killed I think by good offenses. Still, I like it.

All this D talk makes me feel buffalo will score 40+ lol

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm curious
    Y all the going for it on 4th down the last two weeks against the steelers
    No respect for the steelers or too much respect for the steelers D

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Hold Brady, Wilson, Brees, Carr, Ryan or Rodgers to under 20 points... and then I'll say this defense is good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I think our D is going to be good enough to get us there. Hopefully they improve over the course of the next 4 games. I think we are covering much much better than people anticipated we would this time of the year. I know the Giants (8-4) are a crappy team with no Wide Receivers (Beckham, Sheppard, and Cruz), but we did a pretty good job limiting those three crappy players.
    Some Steeler fans are very confusing. We lose to crappy teams>We play down to the competition. We beats crappy teams>We don't beat them good enough. We Lose to decent teams>Tomlin's an idiot, and We should have beat them. We beat a decent team>We still don't beat them good enough. When did winning become such a negative thing geez. I thought the Steelers played great this week. Headed to the Bills. I am sure whatever the outcome it won't be good enough for some.

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:herewego:

• Like Like x 1
  6. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Man, the Steelers had an all-time great defense and still wasn't able to do that to two of those guys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    How many teams can do that??????? You can't be lights out on both sides of the ball.

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Between Chipped Ham and Heinz Mustard postings - I'm getting hungry! Can't wait for Kosher Dill to chime in. Eat your heart out Viet Nummy! :tomato:

• Like Like x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    It's premature to give any awards to this defense. Yes... they played well vs. Giants, Colts and Browns. Tyrod Taylor and LeSean McCoy are the types of players that give the Steelers defense fits. Hargrave will be on concussion protocol, so D-line depth is compromised even more than it was without Heyward. The strength of the Bills offense is in the running game with Taylor and McCoy. I fear the Steelers young secondary will get torched by play-action plays... Steelers D will be stacking 8 in the box to stop the run. I hope I'm wrong.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    lol, man, seriously, you hold this team to, too high a standards.

Who keeps those guys to under 20 points? In todays league its hard holding any team under 20 points.

The defense is improving every week, I'm more concerned about the offense figuring out teams that play 9 wide.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know I think you all are getting a little excited after this win....

Our defense got wore down against Dallas, just like all other teams they played.

If we want the win a SB the defense will need to rise even higher to the occasion.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Gravedigger has a chance to play. Young guys seem to come back quicker from concussions. This is probably his first real concussion also.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmmm... interesting.

I recall that, even stalwart defensive teams like the Chiefs, Vikings, Broncos, and even Seahawks have issues dealing with the aforementioned. Keep in mind that, of those teams, only Seattle and Minnesota are mentioned in terms of keeping opponents under 16.

You are correct though in one area of your assessment though; great quarterbacks or not, a defense has to either slow down or shut down those threats a majority of the time.

However, holding those guys under 20 is something our defense is not quite ready yet to do. Even so, they are doing one thing that I wanted them to do in the second half; improvement. This way, come playoff time, this team may not be able to shutdown these top flight offenses, but hopefully by then they can slow them down long enough to get us to the big dance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Getting excited? I am giving more trust and putting more value into this defense.

Now, will this defense rise up and be the 2008 version? Absolutely not. I do agree that, one more impact defensive player is all they need to get back to those mid to late 2000s teams and just smash others into submission.

However, for right now, limiting the opponents points and opportunities to score is essential for winning in this league. Moreover, it is necessary for this team to reach the playoffs. In short? To quote NFL Films legend John Facenda on Super Bowl XIV about the Steelers:

"Great teams are not always great. They are great when they have to be."

If Pittsburgh gets into the playoffs, playing this defense to its absolute strengths can secure them a trip to the Super Bowl.... that, execution and fundamental play of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Good thing that, out of the possible playoff bound teams, I do not see a single wide nine opponent unless Jack Del Rio wants to mix it up should we face the Raiders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The difference is Bud Dupree and Harrison assuming the role of Batman & Robin. Harrison hasn't had a Robin since Woodley left.

Steelers tried to make Harrison a "Robin" years ago assuming that Jason Worldis and then Jarvis Jones would be Batman but it never happened.
    Pressure from both sides collapses the pocket and allows Tuitt and Hargrave to get theirs.
    It also let's Burns, Davis and Cockrell along with Gay to play loose as those guys are getting more confident as a unit each game

Test game will be Baltimore though can we match their physicality? I say yes on Defense but Villanueva is a liability at Left Tackle against speed rushers so beware of Ben having one of those games.

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It made situational sense all the times it's happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

A few points here (no pun intended):

1. We'd have to go back and look at how many points are given up on returns, none of which are the defense's fault. Some of the teams on that list might be giving up pick-6s.
    2. When the Steelers give up few points, it's partially because they force offenses into long, clock-eating drives. So the Steelers might give up 20 points in a game, but that's because the opponent only had 7 possessions. A better stat is what % of opponents' possessions that begin on their half of the field result in points? I'd bet that the Steelers are not leaders in that area.
    3. A weak schedule, with few offensive heavyweights, doesn't hurt.
    4. The Steelers are currently tied for 16th in interceptions; tied for 12th in fumbles recovered; tied for 14th in sacks. Not good.

19. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah!!! , but at times Heinz Mustard...can come across like Sauerkraut...so get the Kielbasa ready. Are you salivating now?

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers have played 5 top 15 offenses in ppg, not counting colts so that's 4. Buffalo is 9th so we will see next game.

Between dallas, new England, Washington, KC that's 23.5 average against.

We were holding dallas pretty good but then allowed 2 big plays(zeke 80 yarder and dez td). the following run ins were situational(let zeke in so we had time, then the last td was because they were in fg range and we all blitzed). Had we went for all xtra points they would've needed a td and I think we would've stopped them. my 2 cents on that.

the pats game was simply because our offense couldn't sustain.

Our D is getting pretty good man, accept it people.

• Like Like x 2
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    just want to add bud and Harrison are providing some edge rushing and we are getting pressure now. That and more blitzes because of the secondary trust. interior line pressure=most qbs look foolish

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    NEXT!!!!!! 2 bow wows, easy mayo, grilled stinkers, hold the kraut - Please......Sir?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Lets not leave out Anthony Chickillo...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Mayo sucks!!! :puking2::puking 4:

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I should have seen that coming - considering your pedigree and all. I do like certain designer type mustard but not a big yellow fan. No offense. Miracle Whip perhaps??? ;)