1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben's Replacement

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    How long do you think we should wait before looking at drafting a good young QB to replace Ben in the next couple years? I think Ben will play maybe another 3-4 years with all the hits he's taken. We are going to have a massive decline of course when Ben retires. I'm surprised the Steelers haven't drafted a good young QB so he can sit behind Ben and learn by now. I know we need defensive players bad which we have drafted, but if we want to continue to be good every year we need to draft a QB in the next draft or two. Replacing Ben is going to be almost impossible but have to try.

2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Landry Jones obviously

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You'll probably see them start now. It was too soon before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This years draft...

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Am I asking too much to want Ben to pass John Elway in all time wins? That would mean at least 4 more years.

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We need to start looking in the next draft, and if you're guy is not there than we look the following year. We should not reach for a QB but if they see a franchise type QB we need to step up and go get him. Even if it means trade up. But the position is so important that if you think your guy is there in the draft that can take you to the promise land you need to jump on it.

This requires you to look ahead to possible the next couple of draft years to see who will become available then jump on him starting this up coming draft. Ben has maybe one to three years left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben will be like Peyton, half cyborg throwing up quacking ducks and HGH foreheads into oblivion on his 25th year. Meanwhile landrys moosetache finally reaches 6 hairs

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sort of agreeing with you probably minus the trade up for a franchise type. "Franchise types" on draft day typically are only in the first few picks. The teams with those picks need a QB. They aren't going to trade unless you give them the farm. We will pick later in the first. We found Ben there. Maybe next year. Maybe one of the next two. I do agree, don't reach.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    don't let me think about it will be hard to find one half good of him

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope quickly like this year at the very latest next year.

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You joke but... he was drafted as a good young QB to sit behind Ben, which was what the OP wanted. Granted, he was never meant to be the starter, and just as well.

One thing is for sure. Whoever does get drafted will have all of 9 seconds playing time before he's labelled a bust...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Landry Jones I don't believe was drafted to eventually replace Ben. I don't feel he is a bust just is what he is, a back up at best. This upcoming draft is different. They need to seriously start the process of finding his heir apparent. The other Jones is a bust though...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I don't know when he'd be coming out (hopefully for the 2018 draft, so I can get a PROPER look at him), but Wilton Speight out of Michigan would be my choice if I had any say

14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If you are a good QB in the draft, would you be content to wait YEARS before starting?

Maybe Ben kind of broke the mold on that thinking. I think what will happen is what we did last time. We will wait until the wheels fall of and have a 6-10 type of season, then draft QB, or if Ben gets a sudden career ending injury or retires unexpectedly.

15. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    We'll draft a QB this year, but it will be to develop as a backup, if 4 years later that QB can take over the starting job great, that's a bonus. But they won't be investing a "future franchise QB" type of pick (1st rounder) anytime in the near future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    And in all honesty they shouldn't. Ben still has a lot of quality time left and we shouldn't be investing our first round pick as his replacement while our super bowl window is open. Brett Farve took just as many if not more hits than Ben and played into his 40's. I honestly don't see how the hits taken will shorten the career of a pocket passer (unless he just loses the drive to play).

Maybe 2-3 years from now we can think about his replacement and we can groom that guy for a year or two so he's ready to take over when Ben is done or when we are finally done with Ben. I'd be floored if we took a QB early in either of the next two years

17. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    yea, Ben is signed for 3 more seasons after this year, and he'll be a 38 yr old free agent... if he wants to continue playing, and his play hasnt begun deteriorating due to age or injury, then we go year to year after that.

I don't mind taking flyers on QBs the next few years in the mid to late rounds, but finding Ben's successor isn't anything we should be focused on in the near term.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Only difference is, I am pretty sure that Farve never missed a game until his last season.

Ben misses games every year and I think the FO will acknowledge that. I don't think a QB first rd is likely unless everyone else they wanted is off the board, then maybe they will pull the trigger. Otherwise, I see a mid rd pick this year.

19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If there was a concussion protocol back in his day, he would've missed plenty of games haha I know what you mean tho. I guess I wouldn't hate a mid round QB but I don't see our QB situation being terrible. Anything inside the top 3 rounds would be really surprising tho

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is like 2 notches above romo in the staying healthy part

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I think that's a separate issue thoug (Ben missing games/needing a solid backup). The front office has always tried to have a vet backup (Batch, Leftwich, Gradkowski). I expect them to sign a backup. You don't find a backup for next year in the draft.

22. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    2017 draft. Ben is a warrior, however there are alot of miles in that body. He likely has 2-3 good years left. The bigger question is will he get another championship with Tomlin around?

23. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I would wait until 2018, unless someone they really like falls in their lap next year. But I have little confidence in the Tomlin-Colbert regime's ability to get the right QB for the job.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

How true this is. Pittsburgh historically is a team that has shown that it can be built for the long haul. Yes, Neil O Donnell was no Terry Bradshaw, but he did enough for both Noll and Cowher to get Pittsburgh into playoff contention.

Pittsburghs draft success rate has yet to fail them; AFL-NFL Merger, the study conducted by the Washington Post, or otherwise. Should Pittsburgh come out and say whoever is Ben's replacement is the guy when Ben leaves and he is ready, then so be it.

Besides, I do not know about those who do or do not watch college football, but the top end talent has been defensive based players for the last three to four years now.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre for 3 years. How did that turn out?

Like said, Ben has maybe 4 years left. He has been beaten. It's his style of play.

But lets see another late round tweener drafted to do nothing but keep us hoping that Ben doesn't get injured.