1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the last time the steelers surprised you..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanFAQ, Oct 25, 2016.

1. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    The last time they really surprised was when they beat the unbeatable colts in 2005 playoffs. That colts team was not suppose to lose that year especially at home.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    his sidekick was Fitch

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    :nono:

4. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

Well, I'm old enough to remember all the not dark at all days of the 1970's so you have to take it all in stride. They weren't as dark as say, spending your life as a Bucs or Lions or Browns fan.

There was also a game in 1988- when on a Sunday night, perhaps the worst Steelers team from 1970 on went into the Astrodome and ruined the Oilers division championship chances with a completely unexpected upset win. This would be a sign of things to come later, too.

5. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    What a beautiful game that was. I *knew* we were winning the Super Bowl after that game.

BTW, was that Troy INT overturn the beginning of the "process of the catch" bull****?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    When the Tampa Bay Bucs were at the height of their defensive prowess I remember a game (in Tampa I think) where Bettis rumbled on them and we won going away. I was very surprised.

Also the first Denver game last year.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    When they scored once in pre-season a long time ago.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I remember that Tampa game. I think Lee Flowers called them "paper champions" after the game and caused a stir. Imagine if Twitter existed then....

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    when they won in san diego with vick

10. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Are you talking about the wildcard game when we went to houston huge underdogs and gary anderson hit a 53 yd fg to win in overtime? And that was when nobody kicked 50 yd fgls. I think this game was my first steeler surprise.

11. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Nope, this one:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198812040oti.htm

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The last time they surprised me was when they beat a team that had a losing record under Mike Tomlin. LOL! I keeed! I keeed! Really, I guess I'd say, when we beat AZ with Landry. You would have thought that BA would have REALLY wanted to win that game given how the Steelers let him "retire" so I just figured he'd come in guns blazing and try to beat us down. But maybe this thread should have been titled "the last time the Steelers surprised BA" because I guarantee you it would be that day. LOL!

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Biggest Surprise was the 2015 AFC Wild Card Game.

Seriously, the was the zenith of the Pittsburgh definition of "Bungels".

14. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012

yes and no. The 1988 game was a Sunday nighter, late in the seqson. The Steelers won only 5 games that season (3-10 going into that game) but went into Houston and beat them in a wild game, in a year that the Oilers went 10-6 and were a wild card.

What was interesting about that 1988 game- which remains as one of the biggest regular season upsets pulled off by the Steelers in their history- is that Gary Anderson missed an XP for the first time in 6 years (he'd had a couple lost from bad snaps, but this was a clean miss). In 1989 of course, in the playoffs, they came out playing with a ton of heart and beat them in ot with that 50 yard kick you mention.

You can read about both games here-
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1140327-pittsburghs-forgotten-classics-steelers-vs-oilers-1988-1989

Noll hated Glanville, so these were especially sweet wins.

15. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    When they got Bettis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bad surprise: Eagles game on September 25th. Shocked the hell out of me.

Good surprise: 5 years ago when the Steelers beat the Patriots

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Biggest surprise recently, to me was last year's divisional playoff game against Denver.

With no AB, no Bell, no Deangelo Williams, Ben with a hurt shoulder, and a bend but don't break defense.

I thought we had no shot at winning that game. Up until Fitzgerald Toussiant fumbled the ball in the 4th quarter we had a realistic chance of winning that game. Of course we didn't, but I thought we had zero chance. We were almost headed to New England for the AFC championship game.

18. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Miami this year. We really needed the W there. That would have gave us a 5-2 record. We only would have needed 5 more wins for a certain PO spot. For some reason 6 just seems like a lot more.

19. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly what I was going to say

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Now that all the biggest surprises are listed, wasnt the biggest surprise ever for the sports media and the fan base was when the rooneys hired a 34 year old no name coach mike tomlin which no one ever heard of, as their head coach?????

21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    no
    i believe a few here nailed it

22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Since they usually have a fighting chance to win, there haven't been many pleasant surprises over the past few decades. Yeah, beating the Pats the couple times they have were nice, but they were just regular season games. Unfortunately, the unpleasant surprises stand out. Losing to GB in the SB was a surprise to me, even more so, not advancing the ball further on that final drive. Not being able to convert 2nd and 5, 3rd and 5 and 4th and 5 still haunts me. Losing to Tebow...ugh

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    No one nailed it until they called MT in for a second interview, then putting 2 and 2 together with the rooney minority rule in play it wasnt hard to figure it out, but when the coaching search started no one even thought MT was a candidate, at least I didnt, turning a playoff ready team over to a coaching rookie made no sense to me at the time, fortunately for him he had experienced assistant coaches to lean on so as in his own words "I have to learn how to be a head coach on the job"

24. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    check out the
    "Who's the new coach" thread on here
    i remember a couple of them nailed it before the interview

25. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    When they didn't draft a linebacker in the first round last year. I was hoping for a four-peat.