1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd Saying Tomlin is hurting Steelers..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Nafsteelers, Oct 26, 2016.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yes, the '12 and '13 squads were not that great. I get it. But this has been going on since the '09 season. We had a Super Bowl caliber team that year and lost to teams like the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns... who were all sub-par teams.

Even with the injuries this season, the Steelers had the offensive fire power to compete with or even defeat the Dolphins. Likewise with the Eagles. I'm glad the Steelers have Tomlin as a coach... but he, like Cowher before him, has some obvious deficiencies. Tomlin's major problem is that he can't get his team to play well on the road and/or against sub-.500 teams. I know players have to play and coaches coach... but with the talent Tomlin has to work with especially on the offensive side of the ball... there should be no excuse for the way the team laid down and died vs. Eagles and Dolphins, both of which were beatable. Patriots were obviously the better team. Steelers are not even in their league, IMHO.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I'm living on the ledge! I can't help myself from falling

3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    With Cowher players. They were already good before Tomlin, he made no difference. Hence why I ignored that and was focusing on what he's done with his decisions and coaching and there's nothing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You're clueless Polamalu got better under Tomlin regime duh, that's when he won DPOY. Clark wasn't a Cowher player and he made the Pro Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    A good winning record, a winning record in the post season, a Super Bowl Win. Nope, nothing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm astonished at how Mike Tomlin's influence has infected the NFC. I mean, the Vikings just lost to the 1-6 Bears. The Seahawks just lost to the 2-4 Saints. The Cards just fell below .500 by losing to the 1-5 Panthers. Each of those teams had better fire Tomlin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Ryan Clark was acquired in '06 when Chris Hope left in free agency. '06 was Cowher's final year... so technically Clark is a Cowher player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Technically, aren't they Colbert's players?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Technically Cowher wasn't a GM either, he didn't hand pick those players then Colbert signed Clark.

10. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Lets end the most negative thread I have ever seen in the forum. Beat the Rats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just broke the internet. All this time, they've been winning with Colberts players, who knew.

The GM, pffth, go figure.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    So I guess all of Tomlin's success have been him inheriting Bill Cowher's players after all!

He did not make the likes of Polamalu nor Taylor better.... he just simply inherited the team and obtained immediate success!

No such thing as scheming to maximize a players talents but rather simply use the same formula to win just like your predecessor! Who would have thought such an ingenious idea?! :roflmao::roflmao:

13. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    For the record... I was one of Cowher's biggest critics back in the day. Cowher deserved a lot of praise and criticism... just like Tomlin does now. There's no difference.

14. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Funny thing - Colbert was considered a dunce in Detroit, a genius with Cowher, and now a dunce again with Tomlin.

Donahoe was a genius with Cowher, a dunce in Buffalo.

Maybe Cowher is smarter than people want to believe.

15. DwarfToss

Sep 28, 2016
    Cowher did spend his entire career with a franchise QB, either. Go back and look at the drafts, too - they passed on Brees in 2001 - that was really the only time you could say they screwed up by not taking one.

Other than that, who else? Chad Pennington?

16. DwarfToss

Sep 28, 2016
    What schemes did Tomlin implement? LeBeau stayed on as DC, Arians promoted from within as OC.

So the Tampa-2 coach runs a 3-4 zone-blitz on defense and preaches "violent football" on offense, as they wing the ball all over the yard with a scat back at tailback.

I've never seen a head coach with less control. Has he hired or fired a single coordinator to date?

He thought Arians retired when Rooney fired him. Haley was a legacy, Dick Haley's boy. Butler was promised the job years ago.

17. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Tomlin implemented cover 2 here
    Pay attention

18. DwarfToss

Sep 28, 2016
    Sure, in his 9th year.

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I remember all of the whining from Steelers fans when they took Burress over Pennington in round 1 of the 2000 draft.

There were some horrific draft picks in the Cowher era... Jamain Stephens, Scott Shields, Alonzo Jackson to name a few.

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well then I wish he would take it back cause we can't cover crap...........:shrug:

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    We've given up the fewest pass plays over 15 yards in the league.

22. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    So your argument is that we can't blame Tomlin for anything because he doesn't pick the coaches and he doesn't implement the scheme.

Got it

23. DwarfToss

Sep 28, 2016
    Sure, every regime has bad picks if they're around long enough. But it's not like he was passing on franchise QBs every year.

24. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I remember when Cowher took Mark Bruener 1 pick before Derrick Brooks

25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    ... and Troy Edwards before Jevon Kearse. :facepalm: