1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Colin Cowherd Saying Tomlin is hurting Steelers..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Nafsteelers, Oct 26, 2016.

1. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016
    And since 2012, the Steelers are 12-14 vs teams with losing records. Still no clue where Cowherd pulled this number from.

2. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Including 2012? Anyway, 12-14 stinks, too.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You and I aren't seeing eye to eye on much, but I agree fully on the Week 16 Ravens game last year. That was a top to bottom epic fail, and as the guy in charge Tomlin owns it more than anyone else.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not sure. Cowherd did not specify that in his stats.

5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    What he is saying is 100% accurate. He's not spewing emotional jabs, he's not making excuses, he's making an honest statement that many in steeler land want to refuse to believe. What he is saying you can't argue. It's true. But those who refuse to accept that our coaching is not good just throw out insults to discredit his statements. You can't actually argue logic when defending our coaching.

We are a team with an elite QB so we are probably never going to be worse than 8-8. How many teams can rival Ben, Brown, and Bell? Our talent should produce more than it does. Losing to inferior teams consistently is 100% on the coaches. How many elite QB's in the league have choked against inferior talent like we have? How many elite QB's in the league have the playoff failures we have the last 5 years? It's 5 years running. This is not a fluke year that just happens once in a while. We have been consistently inconsistent for 5 years straight. We have consistently failed in the playoffs for 5 years straight.

Don't use injuries as an excuse. That excuse is such BS. All teams have them. Sure if you lose Ben all year then I get it...that just hasn't happened. And for some reason with out Ben we suck. Losing to these bad teams has hurt our playoff chances big time and it's kept us out of the playoffs once or twice. We get schooled in the playoffs when we do make it. Explain losing to Tim Tebow in the playoffs. We were out coached. It really blows my mind that so many refuse to give any credit to the coaching staff. Yet all around the league you see the "good" coaches winning and the rest floundering with occasional fluke "good" seasons. When you don't really win a playoff game in 5 years.. you are floundering. You are not getting better. Every coach in the league would love the talent we have on offense and it's our talent that gets us to 8-10 wins every year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Tomlin's defenders say it's the players. If it's the players I think we would consistently lose. Bad players don't win half their games. To be a Tomlin defender you would have to think our game plans have been so great we've managed to win 8-10 games every year just on the coaching genius of Mike Tomlin...and he's just winning with less talent. I've watched every game as I'm sure most of you have as well, that's not what is happening. Watch the games we win... How can anyone honestly say they think we have inferior players. On defense, sure... we lack 1 or 2 real play makers. We've got elite talent on offense.

I also think anyone who's played football and been around the game also recognizes one fact when it comes to coaching. Good coaches have their teams prepared every game. Good coaches always seem to have teams that don't make mental errors, know their plays, play disciplined, play sound technique. If our team is inconsistent with execution then its the coaches fault. That's their one job... get your players to execute. That happens by great preparation and putting the players in position to succeed. In HS I've played for good and bad coaches. The difference is night and day. You see it all the time. New coach turners around bad team. It happens for a reason. Coaches matter big time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

......:facepalm:

..... :lolol::lolol:

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Thoughts?

If such a trend continues this year... then maybe it could be Tomlin's fault given his track record. Otherwise it has to be the players.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

"American Gridiron Football fans are the zenith of being as fickle as the autumn weather."

- AskQuestionsLater 2016

10. chipped ham

chipped ham Member

Jan 27, 2016
    There is a pretty direct correlation to the Steelers losing to inferior teams and Ben playing pretty badly, especially on the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ty for your thoughts, it added so much to the conversation, wtf????

12. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    True, but playing horseshoes has gotten old for most.

13. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    So either it's all Ben's fault we lose to bad teams or maybe it's a team sport and the coaches do not have the team prepared? Or maybe the game plan is bad? Or our players suck worse than those bad teams. Inconsistency is 100% on the coaching staff especially when it's against bad teams. There's more than 1 way to win a ball game. Expecting Ben to have a great game every week probably isn't smart either. Flukes happen. When those flukes become the norm it's a problem.

14. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    This. If someone can point to a game where the OL blocked great, the receivers were getting open, running game clicked, and the D was playing well on the road and Ben just sucked, that would be awesome.

It's a team thing win or lose. They're up and prepared for some games, not others. In the Ravens thread I pointed out three examples of how they followed up huge wins vs. Baltimore with letdown losses against bad teams.

This is an inconsistent team lacking discipline. That, like Cowherd says, is a reflection on coaching.

That's why this team can never really stack wins, like coach says they need to.

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes. I mentioned in another thread that the stat displayed prior to the game against the Dolphins is that Ben throws 1+ INTs in the previous 8 road games. The loss to the Dolphins extends that streak to 9 games.

16. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    One of the best active win % as a coach in the league.
    Entering top 20 in wins

It's actually very easy to argue.

Pretty much all of them besides Brady.

All around the league means "the Patriots" apparently... because anyone paying attention can see John Fox losing, the Panthers collapsing, Brees and Payton haven't sniffed contention in forever, Rivers has never taken his team anywhere... Eli hasn't gotten the Giants a playoff win in ages. Superstar Andrew Luck has been pretty meh. Is Andy Reid a good coach? When is he going to win a game that matters? What's Harbough/Flacco done recently? Havent seen Rodgers in a super bowl inawhile either... Arians is such a good coach, he just gets blown out in playoff games.

lazy logic is "the Steelers should win every game because Ben Roethlisberger, but injuries are a BS excuse"....

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not from me he hasn't. He was terrible then and is terrible now.

Pretty much

18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd just like to say I am enjoying your deconstruction of these BS arguments.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :bscow:

Anyone who thinks its just Tomlins fault has an agenda. There could be several factors that go into losing a football game, coaching is but one of them.

The Miami loss was clearly an injury issue. I bet if you went back and reviewed every game youd find a significant reason for the loss and yes, some of them would probably fall on coaching. But Tomlin isn't the sole reason for each and every loss to sub .500 teams.

Ben probably shoulders a large portion of the blame and I'm as big a Ben fan as anyone. But thats not to say he is solely responsible just as Tomlin isn't.

It's such a simplistic view to blame coaching for all the woes a team goes through.

Show me a coach available that is better than Tomlin, I'd love to upgrade, he's not the best but he far from the worst.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd like to submit the 49ers game from 5 years ago.

21. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That is a fine point but those are not the games that people are looking back on I suspect.

I agree with points made above about the responsibility falling largely to the players but let's compare this against the pats organization.

Are their players more disciplined? More talented? I believe (as, I would guess, many if not most do) that the difference is the discipline imbued by the HC and how well his staff (under his direction) sets up the players and thus the team for success.

Now I'm not saying it's reasonable to expect MT to be as good as BB but I certainly thinks it's reasonable to criticize when he's not. After all, as it's our birthright as fans to expect more winning than less :)

And fwiw... I don't consider 8-8 a "winning" season.

22. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Agreed
    Every football game unto itself

The great irony is that there is a contingent of stupid Yinzers who think every loss is Tomlin's fault, and all wins are a credit to Cowher's Team or Ben Roethlisberger

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
  24. PittAlum86

PittAlum86 Active Member

Aug 9, 2013
    The fact is he does have a losing record.

Every week, for 8 seasons, Dr. Gregory House kicked his ass.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Coach T does a good job i think we have a problem drafting, we must find a way to get better DB'S that is my main issue with this Team..