1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When was the last time the steelers surprised you..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanFAQ, Oct 25, 2016.

1. SteelersFanFAQ

SteelersFanFAQ Member

Oct 17, 2016
    In a good way?

Honest question, not trying to kick them while their down (well maybe a little).

Example:

Surprising good meaning: Actually beating the Patriots (with Tom Brady).

Surprising bad: Losing to the Ravens JV team last year when it would have guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.

I ask because I feel, as a long time fan, all they do is disappoint anymore...

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    How about both Denver games last year. In the regular season, a tremendous comeback - easily the best that any offense looked against them last year. In the playoffs, in their house, no AB, no Bell, no D Will, Ben wounded... we end up a fumble away from possibly putting away the eventual champion in their house.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

This is a good question. The last time they surprised me was when they played the Patriots and played man defense. I'm not sure what year that was but it wasn't that long ago. But other than that, that's it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanFAQ

SteelersFanFAQ Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Yeah, I definitely agree with you here, seems the last couple of weeks clouded my memory a bit, I was actually at the first Bronco game last year, ****ing awesome :this!:

• Like Like x 2
  5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    22 points in the first quarter against KC this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SteelersFanFAQ

SteelersFanFAQ Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Yeah, that was like 2 or 3 years before Lebeau left. Ahhh man, that was awesome playing man and press coverage then...

[​IMG]

It's gone

7. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    it wasn't the last time, and my expectations are always high, but dipping into my memory banks a bit- here are some nice ones:

the game (was it in 2012 or 13) when Charlie Batch beat the Ravens?

and back in 1984, when the Steelers went in to play the SB defending champion Raiders last game of the season, in a must win game on the road, and beat them 13-7 thanks to a stellar performance by Walter Abercrombie (who did not have many).

• Like Like x 2
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    my thoughts as well..

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would say in a good way...when we were struggling during a bad season and Charlie batch beat the ravens...wow, wasn't that like 3 seasons ago? And they returned the favor last year...lol

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011

11. SteelersFanFAQ

SteelersFanFAQ Member

Oct 17, 2016

Impressive memory dip there, I wasn't even born yet, and never heard of Abercrombie. I commend you for sticking with it through the 80's, from what my Dad tells me those were dark days.

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    One that comes to my mind often is when they selected Santonio Holmes with Nick Mangold still on the board. I still scratch my head over that decision. To think, that Deangelo Williams was taken 2 picks after the Steelers and Mangold 4 after but are still playing with positive results. Ugh....:facepalm:

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Nothing this team does or doesn't do surprises me anymore. Through all the ups and downs, and everything in between, I've just learned to go with the flow. There's really nothing else I can do as a fan because I simply love them so much.

The loss to Tebow was NOT fun, though!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Ja45 reminded me of:
    the 1989 team that snuck into playoffs then beat the Oilers on a 55yd Gary Anderson kick. Then they almost beat Denver in the championship game where Merrill Hoge apparently became possessed by a much better running back.
    They started that year by losing to Browns and Bengals by a combined score of 92-0 if I remember correctly

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

They would most likely have won that game if it weren't for the Bubby Brister fumbled snap.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I forgot about that.

Also, I fact checked myself, and I slightly embellished almost every "fact" in that post. I'm officially telling "old man" stories!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    1995 season, Rod Woodson injured in game 1, out for the 'season', turned a 3-4 record into 11-5 (and could have been 12-4 if Yancey Thigpen didn't drop a touchdown at the end of the last reg. season game vs. Green Bay). They also crushed the Bills in the playoffs, ending their run of 4 straight super bowls appearances. That probably wasn't the last time they surprised me, but that season was headed in the wrong direction until Cowher made some needed adjustments and turned it around.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well ok... if someone gives me the choice of taking a guy in the 1st who will be the SB MVP for my team, then fall of the face of the earth, or a guy who will be a very good, steady player for a long time but never sniff a SB with the team that drafts him- maybe it's just me, but I'm taking the SB MVP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I have to admit that after I posted that I had a "Wait a minute moment".

I left it up there because at the time of the draft, I was completely surprised, and still am, that the draft went that way.

20. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    In a positive way, last year vs. Arizona.

In a negative way, the Tebow game. Sadly, the losses as heavy favorites don't surprise me anymore.

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Without Santonio we might have one less super bowl win. That last drive he wanted the ball and kept asking Ben for it. For that day alone I will always be grateful that we had him.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think anything can top the 05 season when they were the 6 seed and plowed through 3 playoff games on the road to win the super bowl, and became the first 6 seed ever to win a superbowl, nothing can top that in my mind.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Might have one more if the FO didn't throw a temper tantrum in 2010 and trade him. Imagine him on that final drive vs. Green Bay instead of an immature Young Money Crew.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    my most recent surprise came in the first of the indy beat downs.... the colts were coming off a total dismantling of the bengals, and we marched in and did whatever we damn well pleased

25. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Yes, that game was awesome. I believe that game was the start of the demise of the OLB with Woodley getting hurt.