1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Draft...where is the hole? What is the pick?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelHack, Oct 3, 2016.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The Steelers are actually pretty well stocked at most positions...so where do we look in round 1?

QB - Obviously things still point up here and as long as Ben in here not a need

RB - Bell and most likely D-Will both will be back...so again..I don't see the need

WR - Brown, Bryant, Coates, DHB, Eli......Let Wheaton walk. I think most likely not a 1st round need

TE - James, Grimble, Johnson....most like Green....I think that is a pretty good stable

OL - AV is turning into a good LT at a great value...Maybe look to Fosters replacement, Pouncey, DD, Gilbert all good to go.....so maybe a LG?

DL - Cam, and Tuit both top of the hill....Hargrave arrow pointed up...but if you see a Hampton...I suppose NT could be a #1

LB - Dupree, Shazier both #1's.....will come down to Timmons and Jarvis getting resigned. I think Timmons gets a deal done...and Jarvis has not put together the numbers to demand a back breaking salary.....Moats is ok...and Deebo can't play for ever....or can he??? I think OLB has got to be in play for our #1...but will the talent be there when we are slotted.

DB - Gilbert, Burns, Cockrell, Gay, Golson, Davis, Mitchell, Golden, Dangerfield, Thomas.....I see a lot of potential....I see a lot of depth...but I don't see THE MAN anywhere on the list...so if there is a HIGH CEILING CB or S I would have no issue with a DB to further solidify the secondary.

Ok...so now that we kind of see whats here....that really only leaves 4 or 5 spots at most that might turnover....so if the Steelers are drafting at the end of round 1...which I think we all know they will be.....do they pick 2 or 3 players...and trade to go get them...or...try to accumulate a few 2's and 3's and bypass round 1 and the late rounds all together?

HACK

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'll bite since it doesn't look like anyone else is going to...:). Okay, I'm just the first. I am going under the premise we are looking at positions in the 1st only, but I may make comments about depth as well.

1. QB - Unless Landry and Zach both leave as UFAs I don't think we have a need here. That being said, if one of them goes I could see a later round pick on a QB.

2. RB - Bell will be resigned. DWill I'm not so sure. If DWill comes back, you are looking at the #3 who really isn't going to play anyway. I think you may see someone in the Dwyer mode, taken in the 6th. If DWill does NOT come back, this becomes a top 3 round need IMO.

3. TE - I don't see any needs here unless Grimble and James don't develop or Green isn't able to play.

4. WR - We will probably draft someone. I honestly think we need to draft an impact receiver. I don't think you can count on Bryant coming back and staying clean at this point. Yes, Coates may step up. Wheaton may resign. DHB is what he is, he isn't an impact player but a great role player. Rogers I don't think we know enough about yet. If Bryant comes back, Rogers develops, and Coates develops, you could be fine, but if a week out from the season Bryant smokes one, this team is weak at the WR position. We need to protect ourselves.

5. OL - Depth....that is my issue here, at least at the OT positions. I like Finney and I like Wallace as 2 interior lineman, but I think we must look for some OT depth.

6. DL - I love our starters....I like one of our backup DEs, but McCullers doesn't have "it" and Walton I don't think is ever going to make it as a contributor. That isn't based on much yet, because he hasn't really played so this is just my gut.

7. OLB - This right now is our #1 overall pick. I have no idea who it would be, but to me, I think we may need impact player more than lots of picks for depth. We have Dupree. After that not much. Chick doesn't impress me, his motor does, but not his play. Moats is depth and should be depth only. Harrison is going to retire. Jones has actually been really solid, but I don't see a huge difference maker despite the gift INT last night. I would be okay with him coming back, but I want an impact guy at the OLB position.

8. ILB - Timmons I doubt is coming back. I think we can be okay with Williams and Shazier as starters, but as we saw last night, Shazier has missed a bunch of games. If that continues, I am not comfortable with Big Red and Fort as our backups.

9. CB - Believe it or not, I think we can pass on CBs for now. I expect everyone we have now to contribute next year on some level.

10. S - I like our group. Dangerfield showed last night he might actually belong. I won't overreact from one game, but he looked solid. Golden was great until he was hurt. Davis and Mitchell are going to both be solid players. Thomas may be seeing the end.

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Edge Rusher

Inside Linebacker

Safety

Offensive Tackle

Running Back

Those are the holes I see; two of these I had done a three part series on. Working on the safeties still.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OLB*. we need to upgrade harrisons spot because of his age. moats can be upgraded too, but we will need him while the newbie gets up to speed. i think this is the spot.

WR maybe not yet but i do think hamilton could make a bid for this spot.

ILB tough call here. i'd like to see timmons signed to a more friendly deal. i'd bring fort back. i still think jarvis jones could play this position better than OLB. maybe he becomes the moats of this team. williams, shazier, matakevich look good to go. nice group here.

safety. i think we can upgrade the shark.

interior O-line is a need as far as i'm concerned. a center guard type could be drafted but not in the first. i think finney can make the jump in fosters spot. we will have to upgrade wallace and hubbard at some point. harris and dawkins should hold down the backup tackle spots.

CB we shall see how gilbert is handled and how he plays. i'm not sure if we go at this position yet but if king fell in our laps maybe.

TE's i like this group.

RB possibly and even better if we could come up with a FB capable type guy like kuhn was. still not in the first. depends on bell and his contract though so keep this open.

hack good call on pryor too. the kid is becoming quite the multi role player for the brownies. :cool:

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If we're talking round 1, I would say its a toss up between OT and ILB.

I like AV and Gilbert, but you have to keep some guys coming into the pipeline.

I can see the Steelers signing Timmons to a team friendly 1-2 year deal for insurance if there's no ILB that high on their board. They won't go into the draft with clear needs as we all know. Plus he's Tomlin's first pick and will probably be a lifer. I wouldn't be mad if it went OT - ILB in rounds 1 and 2 or vice versa.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we just drafted a tackle this year. :cool:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. However.. he is hurt at the moment. In addition... outside of him.. there really is not that much depth.

Regarding Turtle's comment about ILB though... he does bring up a point. Keep in mind Ryan Shazier's fifth year option is coming and is inability to stay healthy is really hurting his chances. With Vince slated to be the next in line to replacement Timmons if he is gone in 2017 or 2018, like Dupree.. Williams will need an attack partner.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OLB
    OLB
    They will lose Jarvis and Harrison after this season.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Myles Garrett of Texas A&M is the best pass rusher in the draft, he will go in the top 5.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well yes he is hurt at the moment but we are talking about drafting next year. dawkins, harris, AV, gilbert, hubbard, feiler, thats a good deal of tackle capable guys.

matakevich, johnson, fort, williams, shazier, timmons (which i expect will be re-signed to a friendlier deal for the team) are a pretty good stable of players to have.

i think it's OLB the whole way next year. RB could come into play as well. dwill is not getting younger and bells contract is up. that could determine a lot right there.

WR could be an early round option as well. :cool:

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

So here is a question....trade the farm to get a 10 year starter at OLB? Or keep the picks and get a bunch bodies.

I would have no problem at all trading away a handful of picks to go get a difference maker...and then just using free agency to pick up middle rounder\

HACK

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. Dawanue Smoot is not a bad option either if he falls that far in the draft. Would rather have Derek Barnett though.

13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree with WR and an outside chance on RB.

With regards to ILB, I love dirty red, fort, and VW98. Don't know enough about Johnson to form an opinion TBH. But as much as I love those guys and think they could be capable starters, I still think the team could use a top end talent to add to the mix for the inevitable Shazier injury and Timmons departure.

As to OT, Hawkins showed promise but that's really all we know. I'm not confident in Hubbard (anywhere really). Don't know much about Feiler and how he'd do against NFL starters. But if we're picking late in the first (hopefully) and we have the chance to add a talented OT, that'd be a tough pass. That would give you Hawkins, the new draft pick and Harris in the final year of his contract (signed a 2yr deal, 3.9mil). Harris isn't breaking the bank if you decided to release him. But you'd be relying on essentially 2 rookies as T depth if they did. I do agree though, the one bad thing about drafting a OT early would be the number of guys at the position and where you would put them. AV, Gilbert, Hawkins, Harris, and the draft pick. That's 5 guys. If Hawkins comes back and picks up where he left off, he'd probably get poached off the PS if they tried to stash him there. And I doubt they'd try to stash a rnd 1/2 OT on the PS either. If Hawkins or the new pick can be OG capable, you could jettison Hubbard.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Smoot caused some havoc in the Nebraska game I watched. Didn't watch the game with my "scouting" mentality though so I'd have to see some more games. Husker games get a little rowdy round these parts lol!

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Smoot also has the build of a Pittsburgh Steeler. In addition.. he plays with near identical speed and explosiveness that Bud Dupree displayed in Kentucky.

One thing that differs.. Smoot is more polished.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

they liked hawkins a lot this year and he was doing well until the injury. they were playing him some at guard. i could see a center/ guard type drafted. wallace is aging (he'll be 32 this year and 33 next) and in his last year also.

foster is signed but should be winding down in the next year or two giving way to finney more than likely. a backup young new center/ guard capable guy would go a long way.
    harris for one more and then maybe that tackle type would keep the pipeline full in 2018 while hawkins and finney get worked in and foster and harris out. wallace of course next year too. i think this would make more sense than a tackle again next year in the draft.

this would give us foster for two more and winding down.
    harris for one more at tackle.
    finney with 2 years experience and coming on as a c/g, for 1 year he could be the new wallace.
    a new c/g as a draft pick to get a year under his belt as the new wallace while finney is still here.
    hawkins as a then two year tackle going into year 3 when we draft a new tackle.
    then in 2018 a tackle when harris goes and foster would be going into his final season. :cool:

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not the Steelers MO, they won't trade the farm.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard some ESPN radio guys were talking about Barnett this week, I will have to watch him more closely.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Barnett as he is currently can be taken anywhere in the first round.

Here is my take of him:

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...dges-the-jarvis-jones-edition-take-two.15060/

His biggest test will be next Saturday against Cam Robinson. Keep an eye out for that game in addition to Barnett's bout with Avery Gennsey as he can showcased good ability against Carl Lawson.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No. If I would trade for someone, I would rather have Barnett than Garrett. Barnett is capable of so much more than just being a pass rusher.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed. Outside of Cam Robinson and maybe Mike McGlinchey.. I do not see too many options currently. If Pittsburgh is still looking for mammoth level offensive tackles a la Villanueva style, Conor McDermott (UCLA, 6'8, 315) is your guy. Longer than former Badger Rob Harvenstein but more athleitc. Otherwise... Roderick Johnson from FSU (6'7, 312) or Julien Davenport from Bucknell (6'7, 315) are also good options.

22. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    i agree

and when we draft Elijah Hood
    and
    Mack Hollins
    and
    Ryan Switzer
    and
    Des Lawrence
    and

i can see RB as a high option

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i can't stand Fla. St. but cook looks like a stud RB. :cool:

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It really depends on a lot of things happening.

I don't see a top round ILB, but if we see Timmons walk then we might be looking at one in rounds 2-4

OLB is the obvious choice here. We need someone who can rush the passer. Dupree being hurt really makes things tough for us. Jarvis and Moats have actually played pretty well but they aren't dynamic pass rushers. I'd like to see Jarvis signed to a modest deal and we need to draft someone for the inevitable retirement of Deebo. First or second round for sure.

I could see another CB if the value is right. We have Burns and Cockrell is playing well. Gay is older, but hopefully Golson can get healthy and stay healthy. I still think we take one in the mid rounds regardless. Chance to go higher

Guard is also a possibility, but I'd rather look elsewhere. Foster is getting older and while Finney has looked good a mid round guard could be in order

RB is the wild card. I personally want to see Bell locked up long term (at least to a 3-4 year deal). There's no reason to let DWill leave if he wants to return (he doesn't seem like the guy to leave for money), but we should draft one anyways. Take a back seat to DWill as a rookie then take over as the back up RB. If we let Bell walk RB becomes a big time priority and our offense will suffer immensely from it. We would likely need to think about a RB in the top 2 rounds under that scenario. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Late round WR because why not. We seem to be good at picking talent at the position deep in the draft and Bryant is a question mark and Wheaton likely gone opens up a spot.

I don't see any QB, OT, C, S, P, K being drafted

1. OLB
    2. G
    3. ILB
    4. CB
    5. RB
    6. WR
    7. doesn't matter

Something like that. Could change rounds 2 and 3. 4-6 all interchangeable