1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Front office grade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Sep 4, 2016.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Anyone care to give our Front Office a grade for the improvements made or not made heading into the 2016 season?

I think we ended last season with plenty of clarity as to were we had problems and what needed to be addressed. I also think the Front Office had to be happy with the fact that all of our starters were basically returning. (minus Heath)

IMO here's really what the FO needed to do:

Improve the secondary
    Replace Heath
    Improve depth behind Ben
    Improve the DL depth
    Improve LB depth.
    Healthy Oline

I'd give them a solid D for the off season we had. The only reason I'm not giving an F - there was effort... the problem is the effort was mostly for not. Signing Green has been a total catastrophe. Cap $ spent, no TE to replace Heath. Used our 1st round on a corner - hell yeah! Then Burns doesn't practice and won't likely start all season unless there's an injury. Remember this was and is a desperate need. Depth behind Ben... Didn't even try. DL depth - seems to be better. LB depth - I'm ok with it.

The unexpected - We lose our #2 WR for the season and our #1 RB for 3 games. I don't think you can really sugar coat this offseason. It was for the most part a disaster - again. The old adage "if you aint getting better, you are getting worse" is IMO VERY VERY true in the NFL. Which leaves me a bit worried about this season. To end this on a positive note... Butler is coming into his 2nd season. I hope and think he will be a better D-coordinator this season. Improved Depth on the D-line should mean more production from our LB's which is desperately needed. I also hope our O-line is improved but I'm not so confident in that.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  3. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I should amend my statement about QB depth. I forgot we did just add Mettenberger. Everyone knows 2 burgers are better than one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol. They did all of this stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

They did? Cockrell is our starting corner. That doesn't concern you? I know they tried to address all of the issues. I'm just saying they tried and didn't succeed on many of the issues we needed to address if we think we are a SB team. We need to be much better in the secondary. Starting Cockrell IMO is not good. He's going to get beat like drum. We need Burns to blossom quickly. Losing Golson did not help either. Hopefully Davis excels in the slot roll.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The front office did such a terrible job that they are considered a Super Bowl favorite in the AFC :bowdown:. When they drafted Burns nobody expected him to be a immediate starter, they got the steal of the draft in Hargrave so I give them a B-. Yeah it's disappointing Green hasn't played yet, but it's too early to give up on him. The Steelers weren't looking for a TE in the Heath mode, they were looking for a TE who can get downfield.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They did what they could do

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok pick two of these group of players you don't want to keep. Ben, AB, Timmons, DeCastro, Bell, Pouncey, Gilbert, Heyward, Tuitt, Mitchell becaue in order to address the CB position in the way that is acceptable to you it is going to take money, money that is allocated towards each of those players.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    behind New England

10. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    i'd give the FO a B

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If I had to lose 2 I'd go Timmons and DeCastro. But in all honesty I'd rather just go the route we went and hope the picks turn out and keep all of those guys mentioned above haha

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    A player picking up an injury isn't an FO issue, though, surely?

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Plus, not sure how you grade the FO moves before seeing the results :shrug:

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I will wait until after this season is over to give you one. Until then... mine is incomplete as the Steelers still have to write their 2016 tale.

15. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    exactly... and don't call me shirley!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Seeing is believing (or disbelieving) . The Front office was given a stay in it's proceedings and will be graded at a later date. :tongue:

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They addressed all those issues (maybe not to your liking). We have had a couple injuries that may cause a few problems. The season hasn't even started yet and you're already in "we suck" mode?
    I can't understand why some people even follow sports teams if all they're going to do is ***** and complain about how dumb the team is? A team like the Steelers who have enjoyed the most success none the less.
    We are being considered as Super Bowl favorites by most experts. Let the season get started and 4 or 5 games played before you write off the offseason moves we've made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm not in "we suck mode" actually. I am well aware of the fact that we are and should be SB contenders. We were last season as well.

The point of the thread was to look at were we are at now... how did the FO do addressing our issues that have kept us from taking that next step. I agree 100% they tried to address the issues. BUT as a manager my self... I look at results.. not effort when giving a grade. Which is why I don't give them an F. I think they tried but it was a combination of bad luck, stupid moves (green is huge), and mistakes. Players getting suspended - again. signing injured players with out doing your home work is not bad luck.. it's stupidity. I don't think our off season moves made us better short term. I think we got healthy and I think we made a couple good draft picks. How many draft picks did we even keep?

Anyway... yes it's early. I'll grade them again at the end of the season. I'm just curious what you all think about the now and what transpired in the off season. I know this place is full of homers so no matter what we get an A+ and we're going to win every SB. But I also think there are some reasonable fans here that can look at things in a more realistic light. We should be a SB favorite. I just don't think our off season necessarily got us over that hump. I think the wild card is Kieth Butler. I think his 2nd season as DC is his time to shine.

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Right. Except:

- We haven't seen any results yet. Do you grade your employees on projected figures, or the figures they bring in?

- There are a few things that happen in between effort and results. In this case, a lot of the things in question aren't really related to the FO. If I was your employee, I'd be a bit miffed if I was graded low because the next guy in the system slacked off all day and messed up my results. Realistically, of course, I'd probably do something about it. Like sign Justin Gilbert to replace him or something.

(Not saying I wouldn't question the FO moves, of course. The Practice Squad remains a bit of a mystery, and we're short at TE. But in terms of what you identified as their targets, it seems bizarre to give them an F).

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They could have drafted or signed anyone, they aren't replacing what Heath brings to the table.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they gradgeated the 6th grade and now are going to become a double knot spy. :smiley1::cool:

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As of right now I would give them a C- ..I think they could have done much more in the draft , but they made efforts just not aggressive efforts from my standpoint...

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm far from a homer, I bash the team when it's warranted. They addressed the 3 weakest areas of the team in the first 3 rounds of the draft. They also signed some free agents for depth.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly, we addressed all those things the OP was talking about.
    We'll have to wait a while before we'll know how those moves work out.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  26. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Students are graded quarterly. I'm pretty sure the players on our team are graded before the season starts. I think it's a relavent conversation now. Did we use the offseason to address our issues? Looking at the starting roster right now , I'm not so sure. Which is unfortunate given how good our team can he and how obvious our weaknesses are.

The FO has to answer to the owners. If I'm an owner I have expectations that the FO achieve their goals. If they don't I want to know why. If it becomes a common theme then changed need to be made. We've not had good off seasons the past two years and we have also come up
    Short for 5 seasons in a row. Most common theme being that we lose to inferior competition and high profile suspensions . The FO should be scrutinized , as should mike Tomlin.