1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

green rumors.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Aug 11, 2016.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think it's giving MT a headache. :smiley1::cool:

2. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    This is the real subject to be analyzed and discussed. With the retirement of Heath Miller and the acquisition of Green, the Steelers decided to change the way the TE was going to be utilized in the offense. With Spaeth gone as well, the TE position has been totally transformed in terms of player skill set and how they can be utilized an the offensive scheme.

Both Jesse James and Xavier Grimble offer a Green-type skill set, more so than a traditional TE like Miller. They are known more as pass catchers than in-line blockers. James remains a work in progress and Grimble probably came out of college too early. Neither one had an opportunity to show what they can do against the Lions. Grimble wasn't even targeted. James has a roster spot locked up by default, but the jury is still out on Grimble.

David Johnson and Rosie Nix are not traditional tight ends, but they aren't made from a pass catcher mold either.

If Green truly is going to join the team sometime during the season, the Steelers should just go with two tight ends on the roster to start the season, and utilize a third tackle on short yardage downs or other times when they want to show a two tight end look. That's all Spaeth did anyway. In the meantime, maybe James or Grimble blossoms, and the problem takes care of itself. Or maybe a Brown / Wheaton / Coates / Rogers combination becomes very difficult to stop, so the use of a 4-wide set obviates the need for a tight end.

Will be interesting to see how this develops. I don't there is an immediate need to acquire another TE. Maybe another team's roster castoff will be tempting if Grimble doesn't show anything at all, but it is too soon to decide that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Ravens have a lot of TEs, they will have to release a few of them.

4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Article says Green is in concussion protocol. I have a question. How much does the team have to pay this guy if he is deemed unfit to play football anymore or retires? It seems to me his problems should have been disclosed before he signed the contract and IMO, this guy does not deserve a dime.

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – There have been many conflicting reports about Steelers tight end Ladarius Green and his injury status.

Green has been on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list since the beginning of training camp with what the Steelers are calling an ankle issue as he recovers from offseason ankle surgery.

Last week, reports surfaced that Green was remaining on the PUP list with headaches stemming from two concussions he suffered last season while the Steelers maintained that it was because of his ankle issues.

Today, our Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette joined The Starkey and Mueller Show and definitively told us what was going on with Green.

β€œHe is in concussion protocol,” Bouchette told us.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I know if I was the coach it would be, I want all players practicing to see what I got and what I need to do
    to get them ready for the competition/games. We are in serious trouble if Green turns out to be (damaged goods).

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't think we are in serious trouble without him, but he would have been nice to have. you have to remember he was a backup too. wasn't known for his stellar blocking skills. didn't learn for a year from the best in the business heath miller. even grimble got a taste of heath last year and that can't hurt. james daniels is a veteran coach too. james got better as the season went last year and nix has been improving every aspect of his game. green would just be another cog in the wheel, but i have faith in who we have. they played pretty well last week i thought. baby steps and improvement the rest of the way and we will be fine. green is far behind at this point anyway. :cool:

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    worked for duce stanley :)

8. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2016-8-18_8-25-33.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think James is going to be fine. Like Colbert said last year was his senior year of college in their eyes. They thought he should have stayed a year longer. Has He even turned 21 yet? I know during the season last year he was only 20. I think he is going to grow into a Damn good TE starting this season.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Didn't he play during the Troy Montana era?

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Green seemed to block fine in the games I watched, he's no Heath but who is? I certainly didn't walk away thinking his blocking is a liability.

If he's done for the season, I think it's a big blow.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    grimble and james made some good blocks too, i'm just saying green isn't head and shoulders above anyone as a known commodity as a blocker, so this part of his game won't be the make or break difference without him. we can't compare anyone to heath but with these 3 i think it's fairly even in that aspect of the game. i just don't think we are in that bad of shape at the position, just young. :smiley1::cool:

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Green collected a 4.750 million signing bonus, and his base salary this year is 1.250 million, and as long as he is carried on the roster this year he will collect his weekly game checks even if he is on the PUP list. His last concussion dates back to week 2 of the 2015 season with the chargers when he was cleared to play a week later, so he has a concussion history, and the steelers signed him with full knowledge of his concussed history, the question is, when he took his steeler physical did he inform them he was still having lingering headaches from his head injury:

August 16 2016 BY John Gennaro:
    Let’s be careful in this space not to write Green off. He’s got time, and he hasn’t given his full story. He told reporters in March that his concussions in San Diego were misdiagnosed. NFL teams can designate one Injured Reserve player to return later in the year, so perhaps that’s an option for Green if his recovery is slow.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
  16. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

and here he is at his other job

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I read he was running and cutting harder than normal. This could be to test the ankle but it also could be to test the concussion Because how they handle physical exertion is also part of the protocol. Either way though it would seem like they are ramping him up maybe this was all blown out of proportion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    wipe
    wipe
    wipe

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I was going for a Duce answer

20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Dang Dar, you be fast. I was deleting when you were answering

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    i edit it

22. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    quick trigger magrew

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess I will have to agree to disagree.

24. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    loosing heath is a big downgrade in every aspect of the offense ..

25. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Actually, he DID learn from the best in the business: Antonio Gates. It's not like he was a backup to some chump. Gates will be a HOF'er. Heath, unfortunately, has no chance at Canton.

I agree that we aren't "in serious trouble without him." Plenty of weapons. We'll adjust and flourish.