1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

the truth about arians 'retirement'

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by muthjv, Jun 17, 2016.

1. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I don't care who did it it was the right decision

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It's meaningless at this point.

5. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    While it is true it doesn't matter at this point, I think it's also true that Tomlin didn't handle that situation very well.

6. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    1.) Aren't we all Tomlin fans here? He's the head coach of our team and the winningest coach in franchise history. Only a moron would dislike the guy.

2) Art Rooney made that decision. That couldn't have been more clear at the time. I don't recall anybody who suggested getting rid of Arians was Tomlin's decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Remember that first question that you asked come about mid September. It will then answer itself and you might be surprised. LOL!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What could he have done though? I mean he thought he was coming back and the owners said no because he was openly insubordinate to them. I'm just curious about where you think Tomlin went wrong. I was the biggest BA detractor in the world and was glad he got canned and am the President of the I Love Todd Haley Club but I honestly don't think it had anything to do with Tomlin. I think Tomlin really liked him. There's a video of them after SB 43 where Ben says "Don't let him go!" and Tomlin says "You know something I don't?!" That's why I say that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Real old news and everyone knows that wasn't Tomlins decision to fire Arians, considering he told the media about two weeks prior that Arians was his guy.

Don't know what difference it makes. Not the first owners to supersede a coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Muthjr is probably still arguing the Kennedy assassination.
    This guy is hung up on really old topics.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    "What difference, at this point, does it make?"

12. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    And we'll probably go into the bye at 6-1 and people still won't give him any credit.

If people are bad-mouthing him mid-September, then they really are morons. Probably the same bozos bad-mouthing the Pens mid-November.

13. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    To be fair, it's all over social media due to the Arians interview set to air on (I think) RealSports.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    exactly is because the arians interwiew is coming out yesterday , and to be honest he could have saved to throw tomlin under the bus like this

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's not "old news" considering it was a headline on nearly every Steelers/NFL related news site last night.

I didn't realize anyone thought Tomlin fired him, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    tomlin was even ready to give him a raise ...go figure

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    didn't the pens replace their coach at that point?:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    1.) Aren't we all Tomlin fans here? He's the head coach of our team and the winningest coach in franchise history. Only a moron would dislike the guy.

Chuck Noll might argue that winningest coach point with you.......

19. Woodley's Woodies

Woodley's Woodies Active Member

Dec 16, 2011
    I'm not saying Tomlin made the decision- I'm just saying it's clear he did not set proper expectations with Arians regarding how the organization was going to approach the decision whether they were going to keep him or not. That's his job as a manager and boss.

To go from "I'm going to get you a raise" to "You don't even have a job" is a failure of management.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think what he's talking about Tomlin has the highest winning percentage among Steelers HC.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Arians needs to get over it already, it has been over five years move on. He landed on his feet with a good team, if he wanted to keep his job he should've reeled Ben in and not him play so much street ball taken all those hits.

22. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    Right. I was waiting for somebody to make that point (I would have said the same thing to my own comment).

The comment I was responding to was about mid-September though. That'd be like firing Tomlin after one game, two tops.

Sully was hired two months into the season.

The reality is that no matter what the Steelers accomplish this season, Tomlin will receive very little credit for it (unless it's a bad season then it was completely his fault and he needs to go). We can win the Super Bowl and there are a lot of Steelers fans that would honestly believe he had very little to do with it. That we won it in spite of him.

Honestly, last season was one of the best coaching jobs done in the Burgh in a long, long time. Killed by injuries and playing with a CFL secondary we damn near went to the AFC Championship game. Still . . . boo-birds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Squeaky toy

Sounds the same over and over

Still just a squeaky toy, no more, no less

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012